on November 2, 2010
Color Name: Black
My husband is rough on phones. We both recently upgraded our phones to the HTC Droid Incredible. I wasn't all that worried about breaking it, myself. But, he's always had ruggedized phones in the past because he's very rough on them. So, I was concerned that this new smartphone with its touch screen might be easily susceptible to breakage. So, I purchased an OtterBox Defender for him. It's PERFECT for him in every way.

The Otter Box Defender is top of the line protection for your HTC Incredible. The first layer is a thin, 2-piece hard cover that includes complete face coverage. It snaps together to create a slim, low-profile hard case. The clear face cover does not interfere with the usability of the screen at all. The 2nd layer is a thick, silicone skin that goes right over the hard cover and fits like a glove. The silicone cover includes flap/cut-outs to cover ports and protect them from dirt and debris. Add to that, the heavy-duty belt clip/cover and you have excellent protection with complete availability of port use - nothing obstructs anything on the entire phone. Can't ask for better protection for your HTC Droid Incredible. If you need virtually bulletproof protection, the OtterBox Defender is the one you want.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The case is easy to put on & take off (same model ipod touch case from 1 yr ago is a challenge to remove).
It's a close fit. I read another review that said it wasn't. ??? I shook it pretty good & it barely moved.
The silicone cover gives a better grip than the phone alone, but it doesn't "grab" as I put it in & out of my jeans' pocket.
All buttons & ports are easily accessed.
Although I haven't dropped it (yet!) I have previous experience with Otter Defender cases (ipod touch for 2-4 yr old grandchildren-1 yr usage)& I expect the same high level of effectiveness for keeping my phone safe from damage.
The only possible drawback I have noticed is the touch screen isn't as responsive. (I must say that I've applied an additional screen protector before putting on this case & that might why it's less sensitive.) I'm not sure if that's good or bad, as the screen without the cover (& addtional screen protector) was a little TOO sensitive. I frequently have to touch it more than once to get a response, but it might be something I just need to get used to so I can get just the right amount of pressure. I haven't tried the case without the additional screen protector & not planning to.
Some have noted that the size is a drawback, but it isn't that much bigger. I figure the security is well worth a few millimeters of increased size!
The case comes with a holster. I've never used one before so I can't compare, but this one seems pretty easy to use. I just need to get used to it. I tried putting it on the outside of my front jean pocket, but didn't like the floppiness. I hooked it on the same pocket, but placed the phone INSIDE the pocket. Very secure, not much additional bulk, & very easy to get a hold of & remove from pocket. The phone is totally usable with the holster on. All buttons & ports accessible.
on November 7, 2010
Color Name: Black
I bought this unit direct from Otterbox and my review is also posted there:

This is the best Defender case from Otterbox yet. They have truly refined their design and production process. The case was easy to snap-on and the rubber sleeve was easy to attach as well... and I SWEAR my Droid Incredible has better touch-response with their built-in plastic shield.

The belt clip case also DOUBLES as an easel to watch video content on (eat your heart out, Evo owners)! For me there are no other cases in the world worth buying for any phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2010
I was afraid to carry my phone around, for fear of it getting damaged...until I got this case! The screen protector is substantial, yet it does not hind the touch screen, and it fits the screen face just right. The hard case snaps together around the phone with ease; fitting just right, no rattling around. And the silicone glove gives you a better grip of the phone. None of the ports are obstructed and its flaps are sturdy. The added layer of the belt clip is a bonus. I use it only occasionally, but it is a sturdy build and rotates. You can use it like an easel to stand the phone up. I find no fault in this product. It makes me love my phone all the more! :) Thank you for building a perfect product.
on December 19, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
My only complaint is that the fit is a little loose. The phone can be heard and felt to move around a little in the case when shaken. I was alerted to this problem in a review I read before purchase. The fix is simple - trim a business card to fit and place it in the back of the phone before snapping the case together.

Other than that, the case is great for the Droid Incredible. The included belt clip does a good job of securing the encased phone. All the buttons work well thorough the case and the covered ports are protected but easily accessed.
on December 27, 2010
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
My second Otterbox and overall another great case. The case fits fairly tightly to the phone, but has just enough give to allow for my phone 'shield' to remain on while in the case. The holster doubles as a stand with the phone in landscape orientation, which is great for charging while still being able to see the screen on my desk at work. The only problem I've had with it so far is the that edges of the silicon skin sometimes slip off of the plastic grooves along the edges of the screen.
on September 26, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
In this video I show you how the OtterBox for HTC Droid Incredible (original generation) is built, and provide a brief overview of its key features.
on December 10, 2010
Color Name: Black
As another reviewer noted the case has a glaring flaw. The screen protector portion of the case has a hole to allow for operation of the optical trackpad. That hole allows dust and dirt to get in between your phone's screen and the screen protector. This creates a great opportunity for dirt to be ground into the screen and scratch it. Luckily I left my previous screen protector on before putting this case on because the original screen protector is now scratched in several places. Another annoyance with this case is that it is a lint/hair magnet. The soft silicone outer cover gets really nasty looking really quickly. Also, the fit of the case is slightly off, meaning there is a bit of rattle if you shake the case. It's just not as precise as I would have liked. Considering the price of this case, I would consider the other Otterbox version, the commuter series, before buying this one. I really wanted to like this product but at this point not sure if I will even keep it on the phone.
on March 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
I think this product offers superior protection for your phone. I am confident that the Otterbox Defender case provides excellent day to day protection for my phone. I only have a few issues with it.

Only two things I can complain about that are the products fault is that it has a surface that collects lint and dust, and the case makes pressing on the edges of the screen difficult.
I set it down while getting my hair cut and when I picked it up, it had collected all the hair on the counter. It was not easily wiped off, the surface seemed to grip it. This is true of any dust, lint or fine particles. I also have trouble with lint entering the case at the circular cut out at the bottom.

The other issue, the case getting in the way of my finger on the screen, doesn't happen often, but it does affect the use of the keyboard when texting in portrait orientation.

The reason I stopped using my Defender everyday, is because of the size. I like my phone the way it is and this case made my phone a lot bigger. I want it to fit in a small pocket at work and in my purse. This isn't the products fault, I bought the bigger case. I'm just saying, something to think about.

I have never used the clip, it doesn't seem like it would hold the phone to my belt well. Just too bulky.
on March 30, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I rely on reviews to guide the majority of my purchases. That said, I spent way too much time reading the different phone cover reviews looking for the right cover for my new phone. What I was hoping for was someone to give a concrete testimony of something significant that this cover had been exposed to and lived. This is that review.

I'm a pretty avid runner and cyclist, and I planned on exposing this thing to some level of abuse, though I've been too timid to try any type of staged abuse testing. Today, however, this cover was put to the test. The clip that comes with this phone is very sturdy, so I felt fairly safe mounting it to my handle bars to use the Google Maps feature during rides (not recommended...read on). As it turns out, the clip is no match for railroad tracks at 20mph. I watched, to my horror, as the the phone bounced right out of the clip, smashed onto the ground and tumbled dramatically for 30 feet or so down the road behind me. I was sure that the phone was toast. It wasn't. When I doubled back to assess the damage, not a scratch. The screen was still on, and the phone was completely unphased. Amazing.

Other things the case has survived thus far:
-Streaming music above a steamy shower
-Being used in place of a recipe sheet on messy kitchen counters during cooking (spills, grease, etc)
-A two-year-old who likes to tap screens hard during his puzzle games. I have no qualms about handing this thing to him to get him through the last 30 minutes of a long car ride.
-Being inside of my running tights on my hip during my long runs (sweating, light rain, etc)

A quick side-note: I opted to cover the little roller-ball cut out to keep dust and moisture out as much as possible. It helped quite a bit.

I was initially worried about the size of the case and the tacky texture of the rubber for pocket removal purposes, but both of those things are non-issues for me when the protection factor is taken into account.

In short, if you felt as I did leaving the phone store--like you were bringing home something way too delicate to actually live with--then buy this case. You won't be sorry.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations