10,739 Reviews
 (6,761)
 (1,755)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a verizon iphone 4! UPDATED, AND NOW 4S!
Seems that some AT&T stores have stocked these on their shelves a little earlier than most stores, so I grabbed one and put it on my iphone 4 right away. (Verizon iPhone 4, not 4S)

Published on October 12, 2011 by J.F.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS A FAKE!!! - UPDATED
In my original review, i bought an Otterbox for my iphone4s from here sold by a company called Universal Mania. The quality of both the packaging and product was really cheap and flimsy. --- here is an update.

Published on September 28, 2012 by J. Agraviador

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a verizon iphone 4! UPDATED, AND NOW 4S!, October 12, 2011
J.F. (Maumee, Ohio) - See all my reviews

As far as form and fit goes, it's really similar to the current iphone 4 defender series, the major differences are the cut outs for the front and the back. Also to make note, these cases work on ALL models of the iPhone, whether you have a sprint, verizon, or AT&T model, they'll all work.

Otterbox's old defender series didnt properly work with the white iphone 4 due to the location change of the proximity sensor. People would be dialing with their cheek, ear, face, etc because the screen wouldnt shut off. Now with the larger cut out, otterbox has fixed this issue and made the case truly work with all models of the iphone 4/4S, both white and black.

Otterbox has also changed the rear camera opening to be one huge opening. This is because of some complaints of the flash reflecting off the old case and washing out photos. It's also because the camera is slightly different on the 4S, which requires the huge opening we're starting to see on every case available.

The colors are a lot better, they match, they're catchier. They've still left the back cut out which shows the apple logo. I find this cut out really useless and unnecessary, but it's nice they also add the same clear protective film that's used on the screen protector.

The built in screen protector feels the same, still gets finger prints and dust on it, but a quick and easy wipe with a cloth or shirt cleans it off.

If you have a white iphone, or are getting the new 4S on october 14th, this is the case for you! It'll protect your phone from everyday drops, accidents, and bumps. This case is a tank and definitely worth the money. Though it is a steep fifty dollars compared to the price of the "old" defender series currently, it's still worth the extra money.

EDIT: I just got my 4S in the mail a few hours ago and let it fully charge up before using. After it was done, I put the old otterbox defender on the 4S and it works fine with the black model, but not my sister's white model. The proximity sensor on the black does turn on and off just fine. The issue is though, the camera looks blurry and washed out with the case on. This truly is why otterbox made the huge opening on the new 4S cases. So get one of the new defenders ASAP, otherwise your pictures will look like crap.

UPDATE 10/25/2011:

I've been using this new case on the 4S for a while now, enough to have a solid review based off real world use. It's a great case, and I still stand by my original first hand review. One thing I noticed on the old defender was that dust would get in from somewhere, and then sneak under screen protector and look horrible when the screen was off. I haven't noticed any dust on the new 4S case underneath the screen. I dropped my phone when handing it to a friend, and it held up. It fell about 3-4 feet in the air, and it looks unharmed, so I'm glad I really have the 4S defender on my iphone, otherwise who knows, I might be stuck with broken glass on my screen.

The colors are a bit different in real life, than what Otterbox shows on their website, and here on amazon, but they're still beautiful and good looking.

Again, I recommend this case!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great With iPhone 4S, November 17, 2011
First of all, if you want to protect your iPhone, this is a terrific case. If you want sleek and flashy, keep looking. Don't get me wrong, I like the way the phone looks with the Otterbox on it but there just are not any sequins or monograms.

This is really two cases in one, or, a case with a rubberized cover. When you open the package, you will notice a plastic "clam shell" case that you snap over the phone. The second part of the case is the rubberized cover which wraps around the phone. The negative BUT NECESSARY results about this case is that it will double the thickness of the phone and make it heavier. This case includes a shield that protects the screen so no need to buy those expensive screen protectors. The only exposed area of the phone are the holes for the speakers, microphones, and camera lens.

When I first put the case together, I thought the same as the previous reviewer that the earphone jack hole was in the wrong place. That assumption is incorrect. The hole on the top of the phone is for the secondary, noise-cancelling, built in microphone. The earphone jack is intended to be covered when not in use in order to keep dirt from getting into the hole for the jack. Just like the power cord and mute switch, the flap has to be opened in order to plug the earphones in. Speaking of flaps, they are a necessary evil when it comes to total protection. Putting them back in place requires a bit of patience but it is not a big deal.

All of the functions of this case are protected. Each button, the volume, power, and control button are under the cover. The screen is also under a protective rubber shield. I was concerned that the interface would be hindered but everything works well even with the added layer between my hand and the screen/buttons. The buttons are quite responsive and the screen taps, scrolls, etc, seem to work just as well as they did before I installed the case.

A huge bonus about this case is how my telephone reception IMPROVED. Getting my first iPhone was becoming a very frustrating experience due to a very high amount of dropped calls. For some reason, getting that barrier between my hand and the phone itself has dramatically improved my reception resulting in virtually no dropped calls. I definitely like the feel of my phone much better with the case than I did with no protection at all.

Lastly, you may be surprised to find that this case may change the appearance of the color of your phone. My phone is black but the plastic case is white. From the front and side views, you would think my phone is white. It is not until you look at the back side of the phone that the black shows through the hole for the apple logo.

The only thing I do not use or particularly care for is the holster that comes with the phone. I am using a leather pouch and prefer it instead of the snappy, hard holster. (Just a preference, not a knock) I recommend you look at the Otterbox at a retail store like AT&T before you buy it sight unseen from Amazon. The store I viewed them at was selling them for $50 and I purchased mine on Amazon for $32.60.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new Otterbox Case!, January 27, 2012
Purchased the Otterbox case just a few days ago, and got it today. I have to admit, I was not a fan of any of the Otterbox cases because of the bulkiness, but now that I actually know how it actually looks and feels, I love my case! And it helps alot that the color is so cute. I would definitely recommend this case if you are female and love nice cute colors. And I would definitely recommend Otterbox if you want to keep your new iPhone 4/4s in good condition.

And for those of you who think it looks difficult to put on, it really isn't. When I started doing research on the cases, I was wondering how they went on the phone. Then I came across a video on how to put it on and it's really easy. There's two layers of the casing. A hard plastic case and then a rubberized bumper material that goes on top of the hard plastic. And there is no need for a screen protector anymore for your phone because the case already has a clear plastic within the case to protect your screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS A FAKE!!! - UPDATED, September 28, 2012

I bought another Otterbox Defender straight from Otterbox company. This one for an iPhone 5 but still should be similar in quality w/ the 4s. The difference between the 2 products (the fake one above and this one) is night and day. Here are what to look for to tell a fake from real one.
1. There is a round holographic sticker on the top cover of the box of the real one. The fake one doesn't have it. This alone should have you return the product straight away without even opening the box. But if you insist on checking what's inside --- read on.
2. The packaging itself on the real one is sturdy. The plastic used (clear one to display the product through the box) is harder then the fake. Like the ones used to package goggles or earphones etc.
3. The box on the real one says "Assembled in Mexico" the fake one "Assembled in China" plus there is a sticker covering the UPC code in the box.
4. If you didn't buy the black one, peel off that sticker w/ typewritten code and check the UPC code in the box and google it. It is the UPC code for a black Otterbox. If you bought a different color and the UPC code is for a black one - then it's a fake.
5. The Silicone on the real one is sturdy. I couldn't believe the difference. The fake one is flabby and softer. If you pick up the Silicone case alone in one of the corners with your thumb and forefinger and hold it horizontally - on the real one it retains its shape, the fake one sags. The real one, even in the punched out holes or squares, the silicone retains the shape of the hole - the fake one sags.
Also IT WAS REALLY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO SEPARATE THE SILICONE FROM THE POLYCARBONATE in the real one. The fake one just peeled away like snot.
6. The holes on the silicone should be cleanly cut. If there are residues sticking out - kind of like in those plastic toy soldiers, it's fake.
7. The built in screen protector is sturdier in the real one. The fake one looks plasticy and seems a bit warped already.
8. The plastic (well it is plastic) cover on the fake one seems brittle. Like it would easily break. It feels like the cheap plastic on a 99 cent toy. The real one IS POLYCARBONATE! It should feel just like the belt clip itself in sturdiness. Just compare the plastic on the fake one to its own belt clip - it should be similar in feel. If it doesn't, it's fake.
9. The back inside of the polycarbonate shell has an Otterbox logo. The fake one doesn't
10. The Otterbox logos should be neatly embossed and readable. Each letter including the small word "box" is distinguishable and doesn't look fuzzy.
11. Lastly - THE PRICE!!!! If it is selling for less than $37 at the most - it is a fake. C'MON GUYS! An $18 Otterbox Defender - really? Yes I fell for it too, but now I know better.
I can't believe the reviews here complaining about how bad this product is - well YOU GOT A FAKE ONE, SORRY. That's why.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the previous, May 24, 2012
Length:: 0:52 Mins

I had a black outbox defender since I purchased my 4S and I was somehow happy with the protection. I was looking for a pink or purple case for a while and I wanted the hard case inside with soft rubber from the outside. I tried hard cases before and they do not work for me. If they fall on the floor your phone go spinning without the case. Not a good scenario. The rubber from the real tree is much firmer and do not bend like my previous black out defender case. I am so very happy with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Defender and Commuter Comparison, March 7, 2012
Protecting a $200 phone is quite a formidable task and a lot of cell phone case companies do not seem to understand protection. They strive for style, design, and aesthetics. To me, this is all nonsense. Otterbox understands the principle of protection better than any other company making these types of products. Fuction is what I am looking for and and this company produces fuctioning cell phone cases. These 4S generation cases share an improved design, mainly with the camera area. I think people were complaining about shadowed pictures and video due to the tight camera cut out. They widened it to ensure the new 8MP camera with not be hindered by a design flaw.

First, the defender technically provides more protection than the commuter and also comes with a handy holster with a clip. However, the defender is bulky and the port covers do not stay as well as the model for the 3GS. Also, I am not a fan of the defender because of the screen protector it comes with. Eventually, particles of dust or grit will work their way into your case and be sandwiched between the screen and the hard plastic film. Then, friction from your finger will scratch the screen up pretty bad (this happened to me). To make matters worse, I put a Zagg shield on it and it basically fused with the screen protector on the defender. I needed to pry the phone off the case and, while doing so, lifted the glass of the phone, creating permanant air pockets in my screen. Not a good scenario at all. The anti-glar films sold at the apple store, however, work fine because they have a smoother, less sticky surface. I would not reccomend this case at all, though, without these screen protectors because without a screen protector, air bubbles will form and distort your view and scratches on the screen will occur. But, if you work construction or another potentially hazardous job, this case with the anti-glare screen protectors may be a better choice then the Commuter series of cases.

The Commuter, on the other hand, offers a balance between versitility and protection. With this case, I can use my Zagg shield and is not peeled up by the case like many do. Also, I love the soft shell on the inside and the hard shell outside. The soft inner allows the port and button covers to be attached to the case and function propperly. This also helps absorb shock. The hard shell allows the phone to slide in and out of pockets very easily, even out of tighter jeans. In addition, it has a much thinner profile than the defender but still provides adequate protection. The ports are still protected from water and it can take a tumble. I've dropped my 4S about 4 times with this case on it, on hard surfaces from pretty significant hieghts (5 feet or so on some) and the case barely even shows it let alon the phone wrapped up inside. Also, by flipping the phone face down, the exposed inner rubber case prevents it from slipping if you needed it to stay put, for instance, in a car. For the average person, the commuter is the superior choice.

However, both cases with the lighter colored silicon soft shells, like white and grey, get dirty easily. They even get stained from dye in jeans. Not a huge deal to me, but might be to some. Overall, these are the two best cases on the market for the iPhone and believe me, I have researched and read up on them all. You must simply decide what your needs are for a case and make your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case!, November 3, 2011
This will be my 4th otterbox I have purchased and once more it's been worth it. The overall feel and design is much better than the original 4's defender and the colors are much more attractive. The only thing I believe most people won't like are the larger cuts out meant to address the camera and sensor issue as it is easier for objects like your keys to get in and scratch the exposed glass. On the plus side, it does allow you to clean those places easier and it looks nice to me.

edit 11/12/11 - I picked up a 2nd one for my father's white iphone and it looks rather nice on it as well. I bought from 2 different sellers and i can safely say both space2shop and cellularboys sell the genuine item. Thanks for everything! Also as I continue to hear comments about the headphone jack not lining up with the hole on top so i'm going to address that here. The hole was not meant to line up with the headphone jack, it was left for the noise cancelling microphone on top used for facetime.

3.0 out of 5 stars Defender or Commuter? Which is better?, March 7, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome case!... without the screen., November 30, 2011
*Edit*: With the Power Support screen shields, this is by far the best combo on the phone that I can see. I received multiple complements on the look of the case and the amazing screen

I know OtterBox may not have the best cases, but this one will be my case for a long time. The protection from falls, while still having a sharp stylish factor is unmatched.

I encountered two problems with this case. At first, when putting the phone in the plastic case, it seemed a tad too short for the phone, so there is a small gap where the back plate meets the front, but it's nothing major. Also, of course, the screen is terrible. I understand many people face the problem of watermarks, but I also could not stand the screen itself. In fact, I hated it so much, I pryed the whole thing out, so all I have is the case. The screen collected a ton of oil from the fingers, it heavily pixelated the beautiful Retina display, and dust could easily come through the exposed areas of the phone and get trapped behind the screen. All in all, get the case, lose the screen.

Currently, I'm rocking it without any screen protection and it's EXTREMELY better. I ordered some Power Support crystal clear screen protectors to protect the screen, and I suggest you do this same method if you want protection, without sacrificing the potential of your Retina display.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cover but not colored as pictured, November 2, 2011
J. Rust "Rusty" (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great cover as far as protection goes for my new iPhone 4S. It definitely adds bulk to the phone but with bulk comes the protection of my investment and I want the phone to last. I love the built-in screen protector and the fact that all the buttons depress quite well with the cover on. I love the color, although it is not as pictured. There is much more contrast between the darker teal rubberized outer portion and the hard plastic inner piece. The inner piece is not so much green colored as a light turquoise. All-in-all, I love it and would buy it again.