1,280 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the previous
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:52 Mins
Published on May 24, 2012 by Nanni

3.0 out of 5 stars Defender or Commuter? Which is better?
Published on March 7, 2012 by kylemag

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the previous, May 24, 2012
Length:: 0:52 Mins

I had a black outbox defender since I purchased my 4S and I was somehow happy with the protection. I was looking for a pink or purple case for a while and I wanted the hard case inside with soft rubber from the outside. I tried hard cases before and they do not work for me. If they fall on the floor your phone go spinning without the case. Not a good scenario. The rubber from the real tree is much firmer and do not bend like my previous black out defender case. I am so very happy with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Defender or Commuter? Which is better?, March 7, 2012
Protecting a $200 phone is quite a formidable task and a lot of cell phone case companies do not seem to understand protection. They strive for style, design, and aesthetics. To me, this is all nonsense. Otterbox understands the principle of protection better than any other company making these types of products. Fuction is what I am looking for and and this company produces fuctioning cell phone cases. These 4S generation cases share an improved design, mainly with the camera area. I think people were complaining about shadowed pictures and video due to the tight camera cut out. They widened it to ensure the new 8MP camera with not be hindered by a design flaw.

First, the defender technically provides more protection than the commuter and also comes with a handy holster with a clip. However, the defender is bulky and the port covers do not stay as well as the model for the 3GS. Also, I am not a fan of the defender because of the screen protector it comes with. Eventually, particles of dust or grit will work their way into your case and be sandwiched between the screen and the hard plastic film. Then, friction from your finger will scratch the screen up pretty bad (this happened to me). To make matters worse, I put a Zagg shield on it and it basically fused with the screen protector on the defender. I needed to pry the phone off the case and, while doing so, lifted the glass of the phone, creating permanant air pockets in my screen. Not a good scenario at all. The anti-glar films sold at the apple store, however, work fine because they have a smoother, less sticky surface. I would not reccomend this case at all, though, without these screen protectors because without a screen protector, air bubbles will form and distort your view and scratches on the screen will occur. But, if you work construction or another potentially hazardous job, this case with the anti-glare screen protectors may be a better choice then the Commuter series of cases.

The Commuter, on the other hand, offers a balance between versitility and protection. With this case, I can use my Zagg shield and is not peeled up by the case like many do. Also, I love the soft shell on the inside and the hard shell outside. The soft inner allows the port and button covers to be attached to the case and function propperly. This also helps absorb shock. The hard shell allows the phone to slide in and out of pockets very easily, even out of tighter jeans. In addition, it has a much thinner profile than the defender but still provides adequate protection. The ports are still protected from water and it can take a tumble. I've dropped my 4S about 4 times with this case on it, on hard surfaces from pretty significant hieghts (5 feet or so on some) and the case barely even shows it let alon the phone wrapped up inside. Also, by flipping the phone face down, the exposed inner rubber case prevents it from slipping if you needed it to stay put, for instance, in a car. For the average person, the commuter is the superior choice.

However, both cases with the lighter colored silicon soft shells, like white and grey, get dirty easily. They even get stained from dye in jeans. Not a huge deal to me, but might be to some. Overall, these are the two best cases on the market for the iPhone and believe me, I have researched and read up on them all. You must simply decide what your needs are for a case and make your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy AND Feminine, May 20, 2012
I spent a great deal of time looking for a new case for my 4GS after my Kate Spade silicone one stretched too much to be reliable. I have 3 kids and a giant diaper bag that definitely put my phone in jeapordy on a daily basis. My husband had an Otterbox and I liked the protection, but I wanted something that didn't look like it belonged to a guy that drives a jeep and wears Teva's. I looked at the Commuter series but took seriously the reviews that said that the white silicone got dirty quickly and wasn't possible to clean. The white parts of this case are hard plastic and the silicone portion is gray, much easier to keep looking nice. The protection is very good. I have an antiglare film on my iphone and note that it requires slightly more pressure than before on the touch screen but I adapted within a couple of days and now don't notice the difference. Like all otterboxes this case adds a bit of heft to the phone, but I like the phone for its functionality, not it's slim design, so it doesn't bother me. The pink print on back isn't TOO feminine, but I have already received several compliments on it from other women. It has a slightly sandpapery texture so it doesn't slip around on hard surfaces - a major plus, but it still goes easily in and out of pockets. I tried some flash photography and am not getting the reflection that washes out the picture like I did with my other case. Overall, this case is everything I was looking for. The only downside is that it is soooo much more expensive than the other otterbox cases? What gives? Otterbox - there are millions of women out there waiting for some pretty cases - why don't you give us some more options and increase your sales?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, April 1, 2012
This is a very pretty case in person. I'm not a camo person but I do love trees so I thought I'd give this one a try after not being able to find it in stores anywhere. It's a great case that fits my iphone 4s perfectly and allows great function and protection. Easy to put on and clean and all around great looking.

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE!!! Not a real Otterbox!!! POS!!!, August 23, 2012
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!!!! This Otterbox is fake!!! Hard plastic shell, not rubber, printed on realtree graphic. Generic print of black otterbox packaging. Poor quality everything!!! THIS IS NOT AN OTTERBOX!!! I have Otterbox cases and this isn't an Otterbox!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Peeling, August 12, 2012
I was so excited to get this in the mail I immediately put it on!! Didn't even have it for a week and the corner started peeling I haven't even dropped it yet!!! Waste of money!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, August 5, 2012
I got this for my wife this is the third otter box she has had and this one is worst. She has only had it for 2 weeks and on the corners of the grey part it is peeling. None of her other ones have done this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Commuter/Defender Combo, May 17, 2012
Spencer M (SF Penninsula, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this as I gift. The girl loved it! Looks just as sharp as in the pictures. BONUS!! the camo pattern on the back is not as soft as the regular silicone and thus is not as sticky. This makes this case the toughest of the Otterbox lineup, but does not cling to your pocket like the other defenders. Usability of the commuter but with strength of the Defender.... SCORE! I think I need one for myself now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Case, September 30, 2012
The Otterbox was exactly what my daughter wanted. It is also what we wanted as her last iPhone dropped and shattered. Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., September 10, 2012
This case was great for about 3 weeks. Now the rubbery plastic is showing definite wear and tear from normal use. I have an office job and do not abuse my phone, so I am really surprised and disappointed how it's holding up. I use my headphones a couple times a week do that flap is showing wear, as well as the rubber on the bottom corner looks like its peeling (I think from putting it in and out of my back pocket).

Rate and Discover Movies