Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on January 12, 2013
I have been on the hunt for the perfect case for my Nexus 7 but was hesitant to purchase the OtterBox due to the cost. After receiving it today, I can honestly say it is absolutely worth it. This case fits like a glove with perfect access to everything and I love that it has a built in screen protector. Very comfortable to hold while reading but it does add some weight which is to be expected. I really like the separate kickstand which allows you to position for typing or watching movies and doubles as a snap-on protective cover for the front screen if you are taking it out and about. I also discovered that when you snap the protector on the front, it puts your tablet to sleep until you take it off. Nice feature that I wasn't aware of when I purchased it. You won't be disappointed if you buy this case!
on January 12, 2013
I purchased this case upon release directly from OtterBox (as of this writing, Amazon still does not have them in stock). I HIGHLY recommend this case! It does add noticeable weight, but the protection far exceeds the additional weight. This case is so perfectly formed, I honestly had trouble telling the difference between hard plastic and silicone, they fit perfectly. I have noticed no wi-fi performance problems with this case on. The texture of the case gives a sure grip, I like the grip of the case better than the grip of the Nexus itself. If you have invested in a Nexus 7, I would consider this an essential accessory. Just remember, it is not waterproof.
UPDATE: After about a year, I am pretty disappointed with the quality of this case, At about 9 months the "silicone" outer cover began to kind of "stretch". It's so loose now it will not stay on. I don't expect it to last forever, but 9 months of useability is not satisfactory, I have otters on phones and love them but think for larger items the silicone skin is the wrong material and would honestly recommend AGAINST buying this item.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2013
I've had an Otterbox for my smart phones for the past few years, so it only made sense for me to protect my Nexus 7 the same way.

I did expect the overall bulk to increase with this case, but I have to admit, I was surprised at how much weight it seemed to add to the tablet. Not an issue at all for me. Personally, it feels sturdier.

The kick stand also works great if you're using it on a flat surface. I also have two strategically placed magnets that will put the Nexus 7 to sleep when you put it in and wake it up when you take it out. Pretty nifty little addition!

Overall, it's the typical great otterbox quality you would expect or will come to know. It's outer rubber casing gives you a more secure grip. It's visual design let's you tote it around without worry that it doesn't look good.

Personally, this is only a logical and possibly necessary purchase for an expensive electronic device that is at risk of dropping and breaking any time you use it.

Highly recommend this product.
on March 6, 2013
Its an OtterBox. It's the Defender series. You're here looking at this for your Nexus because you've either had a defender for a previous device or you've heard about them...
1. Yep, its more expensive than the others.
2. It makes your tablet bigger and a bit heavier.
3. This is every bit as exceptional as either of my other two Defenders. I also have a Commuter on my EVO 3D.

If you want the best protection out there for your new Nexus, this is it. Is it worth the money? To me, the added peace of mind is priceless.
on February 28, 2013
I had an Otterbox Defender case for my phone and so when I found they had one for my new Nexus 7, it was the logical choice. The build quality is even better than my phone case. It feels very heavy duty and rugged and has a nice texture and grip and a nice hard beveled edge. The rubber is more solid than the rubber on my phone case and doesn't seem as likely to pick up lint/dust. It is hard enough that it actually took me 15 minutes to figure out how to open the case when I got it. I automatically removed the hardcover defender users will recognize (actually reminds me of the cover on a TI-92) and when trying to follow the instructions I thought the first step was with that external cover off, and was trying to push in on the corner nubs. Eventually I figured out that the semi hard rubber on the outside actually lifts out of a groove there and then it peels off nicely. I found that after you get the case open the first time, gently tugging towards you on the usb port cover is the best way to unseat the lip but when the case isn't on the tablet it's a bit hard to grab on to that without pushing it inwards. There's absolutely no complaint here, I like that that edge doesn't come unseated on its own and I absolutely love the sturdy feel to it and the texture.

My only disapproval is the screen protector. I see a lot of rainbow effects due to the contact with the screen. I've seen other reviews that this goes away but I've only had the case a day. Depending on lighting and angle this is either barely noticeable or somewhat bothersome. Additionally, it took about 6 microfiber cloth, close and reopen and reclean cycles before I was happy with not having any dust or particles under the screen cover.

If the rainbow effect doesnt go away, I'd downgrade to a 3 star and if it does, i'd upgrade to a 5.

I feel much better with this case being on it. I'm not about to drop test it as I've seen how easily the nexus can break as my first one was broken out of the box from apparently an in-box (it was still sealed) drop that left the box still looking perfect. With such a large screen area, it seems like it would be difficult not to break it with even mild forces on any one side, but that's not the fault of the case. If I ever do accidentally drop this, I'm confident this case will be the best chance it has of surviving.

All in all, I'd call this an Otterbox success.

Update 3/4/13: I've not removed/reapplied the cover or tried the babypowder thing (seems like not the best idea?) and the rainbows are still there, but I really don't notice it most of the time and have learned to hold it the right way for the light If it really ends up bugging me (I don't think it will come to that), I could always remove the screen protector part, but I bought the case for the best protection and there's some tradeoff with that. The tablet feels like it was made for the case rather than the other way around. I'm still loving the case. I guess I'd leave the rating somewhere between 4 and 5.
on March 8, 2013
My daughter has an OtterBox for her iPhone 4S and I have an OtterBox for Samsung Note II. My daughter has given her OtterBox a workout to the point it had to be replaced under warranty by OtterBox but the phone is in perfect shape after a year. I really like the feel of the OtterBox I have for my Samsung Note II and am happy I haven't needed it to protect the phone from damage - yet. The previous case I had for my Nexus 7 was a folio type case which I didn't really care for but it served its purpose. Based on the positive OtterBox experiences I've had I decided to get one for the Nexus 7. The OtterBox for the Nexus 7 is a bit bulky and adds a fair amount of weight but I really like how it feels. It's a lot less bulky if you don't use the shield/stand but the angles provided by the stand are nice if you prefer not to actually hold the Nexus 7.

I think the on/off button and the volume buttons are actually easier to use with the OtterBox on. The OtterBox makes the buttons more pronounced and easier to use.
on April 1, 2013
I ordered this for my 4 year old sons nexus7 computer and man does it work great. In fact he just dropped it while I was typing this. No worries about breaking the tablet now. I highly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2013
Third Otterbox case I've had, yet still doesn't fail to impress me. Adds a great amount of protection to my Nexus 7, and it feels as though if somebody were trying to rob me I could bash them with it to defend myself. Not only does the case defend my tablet, but it also defends me. Otterbox all the way.
on May 1, 2013
I bought a Nexus 7 and I was looking to protect the device from drops, scratches, moisture/splashes, possibly prevent the display from being cracked.

I do not really like the Otterbox brand and although Ballistic makes an excellent case for the Nexus 4, they don't make one for the Nexus 7. There are not many cases available that offer 2 and 3 layers of protection for lots of devices (except for apple devices of course). Being that the tablet will be picked up and handled all the time in a family setting, I decided to buy the Defender.

I thought the Defender would add much more bulk and heft than it actually does, because I have seen Defender series cases for other devices in the past and they seemed huge. This one is made of 4 parts: a 2-piece inner shell (front side/back side), a semi-smooth textured silicon jacket that goes around the inner shell and a snap-on protective cover for the front of the device (it also doubles up as a stand with 2 adjustments for angling while on a table). The inner shell has a thin screen protector membrane built into it. The protective cover snaps on with a decent amount of setback away from the tablet's glass, so if the tablet were dropped with the cover on and hit a rock or some other blunt object display-side first, the glass would be adequately protected.

If you clean your tablet completely and make sure there's no dust/dirt on the Otterbox, when you install it you will hardly notice there is a screen protector between your finger and the screen. It does a good job at keeping the glass free of smudges, dirt and scratches and it does not interfere with touch functionality much. I say much only because no matter what kind of screen protector you use on your touch screen, there is always a loss in performance. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on how good or bad the film is.

I've had the case long enough and witnessed a few drops, heavy play time, tapping hard on the display, in a home/car setting. For the most part it is very good. Not much dirt/dust gets inside because the material they chose for the jacket does not attract lint/like most silicon/tpu style jackets do. Although the inner shell is hard plastic, I haven't seen any damage to the device caused by the case. Otterbox cases that have hard plastic in contact with devices have been known to scratch the body of the device, even with occasional removal from the case for cleaning. The jacket has precut tabs that protect the ports (microusb and headphone jack), which is nice.
The speaker grill is exposed and the buttons feel firm with no gaps in between the buttons and the jacket. Position of the buttons is somewhat odd, as they stick out of a slanted/curved surface, finding them in the dark or with the protective cover on is sometimes tedious.

I've owned protective cases like this in the past. Although this case is not as good as some of the best offerings available for Apple devices, it is the best that can be had for the Nexus 7 currently. I am satisfied with it. Although it is not entirely splash-proof, dust-proof, etc. it does offer very good protection and keeps my device looking as new as the day I pulled it out of the box. I can hand it to my child and not worry about the display shattering when it gets dropped.
on March 15, 2013
Otterbox Defender cases are generally great investments to protect your portable device. In this case, the one I bought for my Nexus 7 works great! The internal plastic skeletal structure feels solid and the gummy rubber shell fits snug around it.

Only a few reasons I did not give it a 5 / 5 and that is because dust will still manage to creep it's way through all the layers of protection (sadly), making it necessary to open up the case and clean it once a month or so.
Also, when I bought it there was some sort of oily coating on the screen protector that you may have to wipe off with a microfiber cloth.