5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, Holds my kindle in place FIRMLY!
Finally, a case that holds the kindle in place without falling!!! I bought other cases that had to be returned. This is expensive, yes. BUT, it does what it says, it's got great protection, holds up your 8.9 in. kindle FIRMLY, no worries! Different positions, folds up nicely, THANK YOU!
Published 22 months ago by Janice M. Phenix

BIG OtterBOX fan, I have had them on my last 5 cell phones and that was why I decided to drop $80 (almost) on this case.

Published 20 months ago by E. Howland

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, Holds my kindle in place FIRMLY!, November 28, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Protective Case for Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Black (with built-in screen protection) (will not fit HDX models) (Accessory)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, needs better instructions and screen protector, November 26, 2012
As you read this review, please keep in mind that i like and am keeping the product. So, any criticisms are about improving the product.

Once i had my Kindle installed, the first thing i noticed was that the reflection produced by the OtterBox was visibly greater than that of the Kindle alone. This is especially pronounced in bright light, which the Kindle itself handled fairly well. For the present i will keep it as is and at some point i will determine if i should remove the OtterBox screen and replace it with a screen protector that attaches directly to the Kindle screen. I've already done this with my iPhone OtterBox Defender and the result is very useable. Yes, i lose their warranty, but product usefulness is important to me, and, given that the OtterBox screen protector does not cover the camera hole anyway i don't think i will lose that much protection should i decide to remove the OtterBox screen and replace it with a directly connected screen protecter. I wish they had offered a non-reflective screen protector, but given that there is an air gap between the OtterBox screen and the Kindle screen it is not clear how much this would have helped.

At the time i purchased the OtterBox there was no video and the only instructions came printed with the box. I found the installation instructions to be near useless, hence the 4 stars. Once i figured it out for myself, and tech support was unable to help because they had never seen the product, it was a straightforward process of removing the outer silicon skin with a non-sharp butter knife and using the knife on the 4, not 2 as in the directions, locking pins.

The weight of the OtterBox, as with all OtterBox Defender series is a bit on the heavy side, but i'm glad of the protection and i guess i can use the exercise.

So, now that i have been using it for a while, i am happy with the result, but it took some work to get it there.

5.0 out of 5 stars OTTERBOX DOES IT AGAIN ! ! ! ! ! !, November 24, 2012
Let me first start off by saying that i have been useing otterbox poducts for about 5 or 6 years now starting out with a blackberry case and from their it has all been a great relationship.I stumbled upon a defender case cause i had broke 3 blackberries at work.I am warehouse operations manager and working in a warehouse is tuff on my electronics.What originally grabbed me to otterbox was their warranty program LIFETIME which is awesome.Its the best in the business.I have called and have been killed with kindness everytime.Since that blackberry case otterbox has blown up and is now found in every best buy and radioshack.As for me when i buy electronics now i always call otter and ask if they are considering that certain probuct im eyeing for a case...They are pricy but their is no other protection out their that will save your device from that accidental drop or fall..BUY AN OTTERBOX AND SEE WHY IM A LIFETIME CUSTOMER....ONCE YOU GO OTTER THEIR IS NO TURNING BACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Otterbox=Quality, November 28, 2012
UPDATE:
My day to day use of this OtterBox causes me to wish I could give it 6 or 7 stars. This is just such a handy device. It works so well with my 8.9 inch Fire. It is so sturdy yet easy to hold. I am amazed that they can get this much protection into what I consider such a light weight case.

One of my many Otterbox series cases.

I purchased this one for my Fire 8.9 for when my grandkids are over and want to use one of my Fires.

This is the usual high quality from Otterbox. It works just like all of their covers. I usually remove the plastic screen protector...and did so on this one. It just pulls out of the top cover and once out you can never tell it ever existed.

The other reviewers did a great job. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars great protection; heavy, December 5, 2012
Pat (Show Low, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
I usually buy pretty, leather Kindle covers. This time I decided to try something with the neat name of "OtterBox."

Pros:

--The outer layer is slippery plastic, which makes it easy to get in and out of a bag or large pocket.
--Outsides have enough bumps and ridges to make it safe to grab and hold.
--The protection seems sufficient. I certainly worry less about how carefully I handle the Fire.
--There's a nice little rubber tab protecting the power and HDMI plugs.
--I like the soft rim piece for impact protection.
--The cover makes a very handy and sturdy stand.
--I don't find the reflection off the screen as bothersome as noted elsewhere. I have a Marware screen protector on it, so now it has two layers. Touch still works fine.

Cons:

--I think the OtterBox doubled the weight of the 8.9" Fire HD. If I carried it around much, this would be a major drawback.
--Some of the other OtterBox covers are colorful. Some have handles and more accessories. This one is in black only and doesn't seem to have any of the additional options. Bummer.
--The top cover, which becomes the stand or tray, is not the easiest thing to snap off. Glad my arthritis isn't worse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way to heavy, screen cover is terrible, and outer cover is silly, January 12, 2013

I figured, "Hey it must be the best"... Well a few things. Even though I am quite tech savvy, it was a pain in the rear to open the cover (just to get the KindleFireHD in). I can see how many people are having problems (and complaining). I had to use a small tip (of something) to push back the tabs, (to get the case open) but did not want to push any tabs farther than needed, for fear they would break. Really OtterBOX, if it's that much hassle, package the case so it is NOT totally assembled and a standard user can START by clipping it closed on their Kindle! (yes it would make the packaging a little bigger, but it would get rid of many complaints and stop many returns).

Now once I got the case apart, then got my kindle in and snapped back together, I found (after a few days) there was a damn 'spec' of some black lint (thingy) I did not see when I was putting it together. I only see it on bright games (or white book pages) but it raises the screen cover slightly (and I feel it while swiping) so it's enough of an object of some sort to take some space. Anyway, several times I have thought of taking it apart and several times I have decided it was too much hassle. Sure I should have seen it (it is some kind of lint, not a dirty spec on the glass).

I am not in love with the 'flap' that covers the charging port, but I understand it was made 'huge' to not only match size with the case but to provide the charge / mini HDMI ports cover (splash and kiddy crumb protection). I do find the flap annoying to have to fiddle with every time I want to charge it, but I understand the design. If it were me a sliding cover would have been a better design, IMO. Much like I do not like the same 'flap' on my Galaxy S3 OtterBOX Commuter cover.

So what do I truly NOT LIKE?

I DO NOT like the clear plastic screen cover. Not only is is far inferior to the glass screen, but it will hold up (or wear out) much quicker and will look crappy quick. Also the white 'milky' sheen it creates, as well as the major added glare make me want to rip it off the case altogether and just take my chances with the real screen (or add a real screen protector).

I DO NOT like the 'cover'. It is not only clumsy and huge, but not being part of the case, means it gets put down and right now I have no idea where it is. That means as a 'cover' it is useless (while missing). Also the snap stand that is in the cover will definitely start leaving marks on the screen (and or screen cover) and in time I can see it not staying at a 'snapped' position. In reality, the case is wonderful to just carry the device (no cover) around, as the raised edge means it's tapered in the right way to hold it by the edge or corner while walking.

It is way too heavy to hold for using the kindle for very long. Sure. walk around, hold it for a moment, but to hold it for a while at just the right angle (playing a game for example) or gosh forbid hold it while reading? No way, not even an option. I have tried to use it to read from in bed, and unless I have it pushed against a pillow and I am sideways as well, it's not feasible to read it long.

I really struggled with this and want to like it, as I am sure it will provide great drop protection, but to make the device better to use, it's not good... I have just ordered the OEM (Kindle) "Standing leather case". I have a paper white and love how this case not only protects the screen while not in use, but I find I love the cover triggering auto sleep wake. I know the standing cover will not be as good in a bad drop scenario, but I want to enjoy the damn Kindle, not take it on army maneuvers.

Yes, to sum it up: If you need to take a kindle on army type maneuvers and use it in the field and use it BRIEFLY, this is the case for that purpose. If your desire is to give the Kindle some protection and have wonderful usability, the standing cover (Amazon Kindle made cover) is the way to go.

Now I have to find the darn cover and get the case off to send it back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then I thought it would be, November 26, 2012
Otterbox has been exceptional throughout our relationship. The only miss was with the Kindle Dx cover. The cover for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 is excellent. I can't see how dust could get under this cover. It is extremely tight. This is one of the tightest fits I"ve seen from an otterbox. I have the iphone, ipod. ipad and HTC covers and while the ipods are good, the cover can be lose. Not the case with this one. 5 big stars. I was a little concerned about the price but I can live with it to know my kindle is protected. Also, this otterbox doesn't seem to pick up dust like the other ones I've had. Seems I read a review somewhere that stated this fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, November 28, 2012
ocarolan (Wilmington, DE, United States) - See all my reviews
I have an Otter protective cover on my iPhone, so when I purchased a Kindle Fire 8.9" and wanted a protective case, I knew exactly what to get. You'll find cheaper cases than this one, but there's a reason why they are cheaper.

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too heavy, December 27, 2012
I received the otterbox cover for my new kindle HD for Christmas - at first I thought it was a great idea. Then I installed it. Easy to figure out and install. Muffles the speakers a bit so the Dolby Sound really doesnt matter; so heavy my wrists get tired holding it up to read. I also find that the screen doesnt scroll as easily with the o-box installed. Seriously considering returning it. Being a little clutsy, by BF thinks I should keep it. Not feeling it and it's very very heavy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with this product, December 30, 2012
Over priced to say the least. The screen has a terrible glare- a sort of rainbow coloured distortion. I've cleaned it and made sure there was no moisture but no matter what I do nothing helps. The stand scratches the screen when it is used as a cover. I now have a white rub/wear mark on the screen. The screen protector makes the touch screen very difficult to use especially the buttons around the edges. This was a waste of my money.

$79.95
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies