4.0 out of 5 stars Very good case if you want all-in-one protection.
Published 7 months ago by J. M. Owens

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly protective, but bulky
Published 5 months ago by Shopaholic of Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good case if you want all-in-one protection., December 5, 2013
J. M. Owens (Blacksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
We had an Otterbox Defender case for our previous iPad Mini, and I thought it was a good but not great case. It protected well but was heavy, drab looking, impossible to take off, and the screen protector had a noticable gap between the protector and the screen. It was with mixed feelings (and trials of a few other cases & screen protectors) that I bought another Defender for our new Retina Mini that our 2-year old will be allowed to play with.

For some reason, this case "clicks" with me much more than the previous one. First off, the grey case is a great improvement over the black! That's personal preference, of course, but it doesn't look so dreary on a fun device. Second, in this example the screen protector sits flush with the ipad's screen, and there's no more of that annoying gap that made touch detection frustrating. Now, it is still heavy, and I've given up on taking the iPad out of the case for my own use, but the little improvements make a world of difference. I am also a big fan of the lid that converts to a two-position stand. Very satisfied with this case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly protective, but bulky, January 29, 2014
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series for iPad mini with Retina display - Black (Personal Computers)
The Otterbox Defender for iPad Mini Retina is a highly protective, solid case. I do not doubt that it will be protected during a drop or a fall. Without the front lid (that doubles as a tilt stand), the mini feels nice in the hand. The lid is great for protecting your mini in a purse or luggage. Though highly protective, the case is not without its flaws. Firstly, it is bulky and heavy. It adds a considerable amount of weight to what was once a feather light device. Secondly, there are Newton Rings (oil slick effect/rainbow rings) on the screen. This is due to the static electricity between the built-in screen protector and the mini's screen. The "oil slicks" are very noticeable when the screen is off, and somewhat noticeable when the screen is on. Thirdly, the case is difficult to pry remove and pry open. When installing, be sure to get every last speck of dust or lint out before you make that final closing snap together of the pieces. Because one annoying speck of dust that you miss the first time around may require you to reopen and re-wipe and re-install. Prying the pieces off can be a bear. I feared harming my screen every time I had to remove fhe cover. Overall, the case is built to protect and will protect, however not without the cons of added bulk, added weight, "oil slicks" and difficult removal.

5.0 out of 5 stars OtterBox for iPad, January 13, 2014
This Otterbox was purchased for my regular(1st) iPad mini. I checked the otterbox website and they confirmed that this Otterbox designed for the iPad mini w Retina also fits my regular mini as well. It is a good case and uses two pieces of high density plastic that clamshells together then a rubber bumper/gasket fits around that seam, I'd guess to keep out the dust of regular life. The only difference between this Retina one and the one designed for the 1st gen ipad mini is supposed to be the small hole for the mic that is one the back of the Retina mini near the opposite end from the charger port. This one happened to be many bucks cheaper than the Otterbox for the 1st gen mini as well as actually being on hand to be shipped, not so with the original one. This OtterBox for the iPad mini (2) is very well fitting and has rubber plugs for the charge and headphone ports and doesn't seem to be as bulky as other Boxes I've purchased to protect other products. The built in screen protector sits right onto the screen but totally w/o bubbles. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Fort Knox for your iPad, December 26, 2013
I bought this case to use on my 8-year-old son's iPad mini. He is not known for taking great care of his electronics and I wasn't about to spend hundreds of dollars on an iPad for him only to see it bruised or broken. I heard of Otterbox cases before, but to me they were too bulky. However, this case is perfect for my son. It is a bit difficult to separate the case to insert the iPad, but that can be a good thing too. Once inside, it isn't coming out without significant effort.

The iPad is completely encased inside. It basically has a built-in screen protector, as the front of the case is a touch-sensitive plastic. So even though you are spending a bit more on the case, you don't need to purchase a separate screen protector.

It comes with 2 main pieces: the case itself and a cover that can double as a stand. If you use the additional hard plastic cover when storing/transporting, it adds additional security, as now the iPad is completely secured, including the screen (which already has the plastic protector). So it just adds another layer of security when you aren't using the device.

The materials are "hard core". I mean, this is heavy-duty plastic that is going to hold up really well. You could use both plastic pieces to encase the iPad and you've got great protection.

If you're looking for a slim, lightweight case, look elsewhere. But if you want something that you can give to a young kid and not worry about it getting scratched, dented, damaged, etc., this is perfect and worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Protects well......but., January 4, 2014
The case protects very well and averything works just fine but the screen protector its horrible looks like a raingow in some parts of my screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iPad Case, December 29, 2013
This is the perfect case for my iPad Mini/Retina display. Durable, solid and rugged, much more functional than the smart flip case. The only gripe is the built-in screen protector tends to inhibit the touch functionality at times and isn't sensitive to styluses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best case on the market, December 25, 2013
This thing is a tank. My 5 year old has put it to the test. Spend the extra money and protect your device...get this case!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best case for ipad mini 2!!!, December 15, 2013
The best case for total protection of your ipad. Otter box defender is a complete shield for your ipad! 5 stars all the way!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to do, just too heavy. Defeats the purpose of a small, light smartpad., April 7, 2014
I would recommend this item if you take it regularly to a place where you needed extra protection. As a device I keep at home all the time, the Otterbox makes my ipad mini uncomfortable, and heavy. Just not a good match for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen protector not flush with ipad screen, February 26, 2014
John Cliver (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Just got it today. I'm assuming this is a defect or something so I will adjust my rating if the issue is resolved but just typing this review on the ipad feels really weird. I have to send it back. Everything else seems okay but my finger taps feel imprecise as they encounter the screen protector before they reach the screen surface.

Rate and Discover Movies