Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Otterbox APL2-IPAD1-A2-C4OTR iPad Defender Case (White Plastic/Black Silicone)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 7, 2011
I had seen this product come up a few times on different websites while I was googling for articles on the best iPad cases. Of course, Otterbox has a sterling reputation, so I wasn't surprised to see it on the list.

Having recently received the product, I could not be happier.

I'm a business person, but I live a...dangerous life. What can I say? I'm a clumsy guy. But the otterbox defender lives up to it's name. It's wicked durable, looks great, and has already saved my iPad's life more than once this week.

A few little things (some might call them "drawbacks") that I thought I might mention --

-Because of the intensely rugged construction of the product, it does add significant weight to my iPad. iPads are already a heavy product in comparison to other tablets, so this might be something to consider.

-The "3rd" layer is a removable "polycarbonite" (plastic) shield that can sit on the back of your iPad when you feel like chucking throwing knives at your iPad, or you can place it over the screen while you're traveling. Aside from the fact that I wouldn't really count it as a 3rd layer, I just wanted to warn people that it doesn't FEEL like the best screen cover in the world. It covers the screen, yes. But it provides a handful of millimeters between itself and the screen which always makes me feel like I'm going to drop it and it will crack, or something might get set on it and accidentally manage to break through it. Also, the cover is made perfectly to fit flush with the screen. Which means that it doesn't really seal that well. I would worry that maybe dirt, pebbles, ink, or something else little could sneak in there and then bounce around between the screen and cover, potentially harming both. I still think it's awesome though. :-)

-The installation was a little tricky, I guess. The instructions (all pictures, no words) were fairly helpful, but I was at a complete loss for a while. Once I got that bad boy in there, though, I hope I never have to take it out. I'm pretty sure I nearly lost a thumb to the Defender's uber-robust poly carbonite inner shell.

Over all, I truly couldn't be happier with this case. Those were just a few little things that hopefully the people from Otterbox might read in the future and say, "Oh yeah...this guy is right. We should address those things AND give him a job." :-)

Thanks Otterbox,

StMshepherd

P.S. And a million thanks to Amazon for the trial period of Amazon Prime! I love it and got my case only 45 hours after I ordered it! Totally Awesome!
on March 28, 2012
I love this case!!!

First let me say, to access all the buttons on your iPad 2 you will have to slightly modify this case but they're minor things that cost less than $10 or with a bluetooth keyboard made for iPads the functions you would need to modify for are on the keyboard.

We have otterbox defenders for our iPhones and there's no way we would own a device this sensitive and expensive without it. The iPad 2 fits snuggly in this case, is protected about as good as one could expect and the price is unbeatable!!!

The only think I'm disapointed in is that I was expecting the screen cover to be integrated into the case as it is on the defender cases for iPhones. But it still comes with a screen protector so this is only a minor complaint.

Buy this for your iPad 2!!!
on August 26, 2012
This a great product for the iPad! I've had my case for about 9-months and it has provided excellent protection and a handy stand with two unique viewing angles. One of the many cool things about this product is that the white rectangular piece can be used as a stand or as a cover for the front of the iPad. It fits perfectly on the grooves of the case.

I accidentally dropped my iPad once on cement and no damage was done. Thanks Otterbox! My two gripes about this product are:

1. The retail price is listed as $89.99. I was lucky to purchase mine on Amazon from a third party vendor for under $10 - a great bargain! I wouldn't pay more than $24.99 for this product.

2. The three layers of protection add a few pounds to the overall weight of the iPad. I wish the case weighed a little less, yet providing a comparable level of protection.

Overall, an excellent case for the first generation iPad. If you have a tendency to drop things, especially expensive electronic items, I highly recommend you purchase this product to save yourself from potential damage and heartache.
on June 21, 2011
I have had 3 otterbox products in my whole life and each was better than the next. The defender is absolutely the best quality case I have ever seen for the iPad hands down. It is a product that is a bit pricier than it's competitor's but you are getting MORE than what you paid for. When I have the case on I am not worried about dropping my iPad because it just feels stronger and able to withstand an extreme drop. Sometimes I'm tempted to test it but I'd rather not do something I might regret.
The silicon of the outer shell is high quality and gives the product a nice feel and grip. In a way it prevents you from dropping you iPad. The case is also very stylish, the white accents the black very well and the hard plastic cover is really a nice addition. The built in stand is a plus for watching movies on a table, it just adds more value to you purchase. I don't recommend you take off the case once you put it on because the silicon tends to stretch if you pull it too much. The case is a little frustrating at times to put on because you have to make sure everything clicks.
Lastly, I didn't like the screen protector that came with the otterbox so I bought one of my own and it feels even more protected from spills than before.
Truly an incredible value for the price, you don't even need to think twice about it.
This is a very late review but there isn't much to say. This was purchased for the Ipad II because of the price at the time. He had to make a hole for the camera so it works in that regard. it does protect the Ipad well and it is still working to date.
on January 29, 2012
Completely change the look and feel of my ipad.

Pro (not in any particular order):
1. White trim makes my ipad looks like a white ipad
2. Hefty and seems to provide very good protection
3. The rubber buttons makes is feel better and easier to press, especially the volume rocker
4. Thicker, make it easier to hold (also see the con below)
5. The front is also protected with a snap on plastic cover which doubles as a angle stand
6. Comes with a screen protector, and nice big piece of microfiber cleaning cloth
7. Inside of the case is lined to help protect the ipad

Con:
1. Make the slim ipad big and heavy, more bulk to carry
2. need to take off a piece of the bottom in order to charge the ipad
3. This one is not really a con, there is a camera hole build in??? ipad 1 do not have a camera???

Overall, it is a nice case that provide good protect and make it more comfortable to grip.
on January 14, 2013
My 4 year old has inherited our first generation iPad and this protects it very well. Other reviewers have complained about the area where the charger goes and I actually think it is great. I hope we don't lose it (because we lose everything in this house) but I like it so much better than the Otterbox silicone around the charger spot on the iPhones. I was also worried that he would complain about how heavy it is but I haven't heard a peep from him about that.
on March 4, 2011
Recently I purchased a new SUV and instead of getting an integrated DVD system that could only be used while we were in the vehicle, I made the jump to individual iPads for each of my 3 kids. Now they can take that iPad with them anywhere they go, and use it in the car when we go somewhere.

The cost of the 3 iPads was similar to what a DVD system would have cost, but individually... they're kind of an expensive toy that you're entrusting to a child. That means that you need something to protect it, and for me I could do no better than the Otterbox Defender series. Buying through Amazon saved me almost 50%, and I was able to get 3 different colors so the kids could always tell which iPad was theirs. It goes on easily and really protects the device.

The only thing I had a little difficulty with was the screen protector that is applied before putting on the cover, and I seemed to have the best luck with the third iPad by just putting it on quickly instead of trying and trying for perfection. I got a single air bubble on the first couple, but was able to achieve perfection on the last one.

I would definitely buy this again.
on September 14, 2012
I love this case! I share my iPad with my 3 year old son and I no longer have to worry while he is using it. The case is well made, fits well, and seems really durable. I ordered the black and white case which I find very attractive. One feature that I wasn't aware of at the time of purchase was that it includes a hard shell for the front of the iPad, which can be snapped on the front while traveling, snapped on the back while not in use, and doubles as a stand. I have a very active lifestyle and this case has protected my iPad while traveling and even camping!!! The only drawback is that the case is quite heavy, easily doubling the weight of the iPad.
on December 27, 2011
After a previous experience with an Otter Box on an iPhone 3G I was hesitant to purchase this product. When it dropped to only $10 I decided to try it out. It adds substantial weight and bulk to the iPad but it does an excellent job of protecting it while allowing access to all switches, speakers, ports, etc. The front cover that snaps on is especially nice for extra protection when traveling with the iPad. As long as you don't recommend the extra weight and bulk, I would definitely recommend this item. It's also easy enough to remove and reapply to the iPad.