5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Introduction to Science
This is an incredible book introducing human biology to children. It has amazing photos to accompany each topic - sneeze, bathroom break, bee sting, cut, suntan, adrenalin, vomitting, tastebuds & sleeping (to name a few).

Published on July 23, 2007 by Albert Yoo

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappoinment
While this book is a lovely graphic introduction to some basic functions of the human body (including things like pimples, vomiting, sneezing and choking!) I was extremely disappointed with the CD-ROM that is included.
Published on June 8, 2008 by C. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Introduction to Science, July 23, 2007

I taught my church's summer school program (Grades 1-6) with science lessons based on this book. To my surprise, every single child, from first grade up to sixth, really got into each lesson. It was a very positive learning experience for them and the topics sparked many different side discussions.

The CD-Rom that comes with the book contains some video of the above mentioned topics. I used this primarily as review for the past lessons. The kids LOVED it.

At the end of our science lessons, every child was interested on how they could purchase the book. This is a rare gem in the educational resources we have today. A++++++++.

5.0 out of 5 stars What goes on inside?, February 27, 2010
"Science rules!" That's the slogan on one of the bookmarks available at my school's recent book fair. Books like "Ouch: How Your Body Makes It Through a Very Bad Day" certainly prove that science rules! Not only did I obtain a copy for our library, but I had to buy one for my own home library. Inquiring minds do want to know what's going on inside our bodies!

As the title indicates, this Dorling Kindersley (DK) book focuses on the various things that can and usually do occur in a day with the direct purpose of showing just how the body works. In order, the body --on this particular day--deals with sneezing, urinating, pimples, brushing teeth, a cut, sweating, body bugs, reflex action (to prevent a burn from hot water), a bee sting (oh so gross!), suntanning, pathogens, ear invasion, adrenalin rush, asthma attack, choking, bad taste, vomiting, and sleeping.

How DK writers show each of these episodes is through a nanocam, minutely detailed in the beginning of the book and based on existing technology. "Using brand-new, computer-generated images and specially created 3-D animations, this groundbreaking book will show you what no other book can" (foreword). Then it's away we go!

The book usually takes four pages per episode. The sneeze occurs on two pages with side bars detailing what goes on with a sneeze. The next two pages show what the nanocam sees--you know, those disgusting details that make an adult turn his/her head to avoid such an onslaught on the senses, or you know, those things that thrill children to no end! By the way, do you know why you sneeze? A cold-causing virus invades the lining of your nasal cavity. Defense chemicals irritate your nasal lining, sending a message to the brain which sets off a sneeze reflex, thereby expelling some of those cold viruses. All this and you don't even have to think about it!

What this book does is to show in vivid detail exactly what the body does on a daily basis, things that its owner takes for granted. It takes a simple fact: urination, for example, and shows how and why. I remember learning in school that urine is the waste product of the bladder helping to clean something--blood maybe. Let's turn to the book for more detail. Yes, each kidney (not bladder) processes 460 gallons (!! what a worker!!) of blood daily to make just three pints of urine. We urinate enough product to fill 270 bathtubs in an average lifetime. (I don't even want to know how researchers arrived at that figure!)

I had to skip the body bug chapter! On to the last chapter--sleeping! Do you know that the average adult slept ten hours every night before the electric light bulb became commonplace? Currently, babies require 16 hours per day, young adults average seven, and the elderly need 6 hours or less. New parents lose between 400 and 750 hours of sleep during a baby's first year of life. Do you know that the brain "paralyzes" the muscles during sleep so that a sleeping body won't act out its dreams? Meanwhile, the brain carries out "housekeeping" duties by arranging the day's experiences and saving some in memory.

During the six pages of the glossary and index, writers include some complementary information, as well as those detailed computer-generated photos: types of body cells, key body tissues, and the body systems.

This over-sized, soft-cover (with a different picture) book belongs in every school library, perhaps in every science classroom, and in home libraries. "Ouch" is a fascinating and informative book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is amazing, but CD is barely worth including, November 1, 2012
I came to Amazon to verify whether it was supposed to be like this (see C. Miller's review), because I was surprised to find that the CD-rom had no audio.

My four(!)-year-old son absolutely LOVES this book, and has a working understanding of immune response thanks to it! But he's been begging to watch the "video" and after all the build up it was pretty disappointing.

Book gets five stars, CD gets one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars VALUE FOR MONEY! WORTH A THOUSAND TIMES ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD., September 16, 2011
This review is from: Ouch! (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book worth a thousand times its weight in gold! My son aged 7 and a half loves it.He knows all about platelets and white blood cells and other information about the human body I found hard to remember in High school because I didn,t have this resource.I,m a very satisfied customer and happy mum and will buy all the series for my son who,s ready for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made learning fun!, May 22, 2011
Tastefully done, wasn't gross. Very interesting book that takes a look inside our bodies when we are ill, hurt or suffering from various viruses. From why it isn't good to squeeze a pimple to why it is good to sneeze, page after page of interesting information along with eye-catching images make learning fun. Well worth reading, we liked it so much we bought extra copies for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INFORMATION !, May 7, 2007
WONDERFUL INSIGHT INTO HOW YOUR BODY WORKS, EVERY FAMILY SHOULD BUY THIS BOOK.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappoinment, June 8, 2008
There is no sound on the disc, and I could not get it to run at all on my MAC. In my opinion, the CD-ROM does not add much to the content of this volume, except to illustrate, via animation, a few everyday bodily functions.

Ouch!
Ouch! by Richard Walker (Paperback - August 17, 2009)
Used & New from: $10.54