5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best
Published on March 11, 1999 by Bob Barnes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
In the first part of the book, he talks about megalithic remains in different parts of the world. He mentions just enough to whet my appetite when he's off to another location. The last half of the book is devoted to his belief in "spirits"" who inhabit the earth along with us. He assumes you agree with him when he makes these statements and in my...
Published 6 months ago by M. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, March 11, 1999
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
I have collected and read books on UFO's for over 30 years. I currently have over 200 titles and OUR HAUNTED PLANET is one of the top ten. I actually have several copies of this book and loan it to friends who become interested in the UFO enigma. Keel was one of the first researchers who attempted to bring many of the unexplained paranormal phenomena under one umbrella of explanation. (I can think of only Charles Forte and Morris K. Jessup who preceded him.) The book is well researched and well-written. The concise three-page theory on the origin of man that incorporates all three popular theories (Devine creation, seeding, and evolution) is alone worth the price of admission. I'm glad this book is being republished and highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the paranormal--UFO's in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, February 28, 2002
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
I really recommend this book! For one, I couldn't put it down. There was a lot of information in this book that I have read from previous authors, such as Commander X and the like, but most interesting, was Keel included other stories regarding certain subjects. I really liked the part about "radio anomalies" for they were interesting...especially VLF (Very Low Frequency Waves). I really had to go back to the beginning of the book after the first chapter, and started highlighting things, because they were so interesting, I wanted to look them up later for more information or more books on the certain subjects. The whole book is practically highlighted! LOVED IT! And would probably definitely read it again, (which I normally don't ever do after reading a book once).

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fortean Classic, November 3, 2000
natl77 (Tucson, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
This book-originally released in 1970,gives a general overview of the unusual engimas left behind by previous civilizations (the pyramids and other lesser known wonders),theories on the evolution of man,ufo's, missing persons,and other oddities and attempts to tie it all together in one general thesis. Very entertaining. Keel is an excellent writer who will keep you turning the page. Somewhat lighter than Keel's other books- which makes it a good intro to a reader new to the authors work. It does jump around a bit. Apperently many of the chapters were cobbled together from magazine articles. However it still is a fascinating book,well worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep Book, March 19, 2006
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
This astonishing book takes a close look into the history of humankind's interaction with "ultraterrestrial" or "UT's". From their mysterious worldwide penchant for gold (a virtually useless metal practically speaking), to their aerial-vehicles and gloomy end of the world prophesies. All of recorded history, from every culture of across the globe, reports of mysterious entities bent on manipulating human affairs have come down to us.

John Keel is an agnostic so naturalists may have a hard time coping with his suggestions. Mainly because he believes UT's are likely to be involved in the creation of the human race. He goes so far as to suggest the planet earth maybe one giant ranching project...Are we a race of cattle? Or maybe bread for gold mining? Haunted planet explores these ideas.

John Keel has a casual way of presenting the most shocking information. Contrary to what some die hard materialist skeptic reviewers have said, his books are painstakingly researched and by no means "debunked". I have double-checked his references on many occasions in particular the numerous articles. He presents the bizarre facts, along side of first hand experiences and proves the saying "the truth is stranger than fiction"

4.0 out of 5 stars Never mind reviews! Buy this book, it's excellent!, October 15, 2000
GhostHost (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
I've just finished reading it and my perspective has expanded quite a bit. As a Christian I found the approach to Genesis illuminating and was pleased that the author drew many conclusions which I feel are compatible with my faith. I could not bring myself to give the book five stars, however, because after so many pages of exciting reading the ending is a great dissappointment. After the near-constant flow of interesting ideas, in the last few pages we are given a typical 1970 "Age of Aquarius" panegyric, full of praise for the alleged moral superiority of the hedonistic youth of the time. Instantly the book becomes very dated, and then it ends. If this happened earlier in the book I could have just considered it as history but as an ending it's a great let-down. It's still a wonderful book. I imagine that when I read his other books I'll give them all five stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Trail Blazer, no less!, April 27, 2005
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
OK people, let's get real. I still have the original

paperback copy I bought in 1971, pages are flaking out

and whatnot, but I have read this book a dozen times,

and I have even more respect for the author now than in the

days of my shallow youth. It is important to remember

that John Keel was on the scene during the nascent

period of UFO and paranormal investigation, and

this book tries to reflect an honest and objective

query into the many unexplained phenomena that are

as prevalent now as they were in his time (50's-70's).

There is a disjointedness at times in a few chapters

of the book, but this only serves to underscore

Keel's attempt to get the documentation out there,

and actually gives the reader a here-and-now feeling

of spontaneity. Contrary to a previous reviewer's

assessment that

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to get this in ebook format, July 17, 2012
John A. Keel (1930-2009) is best known for his 1975 book THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES which was the basis of the 2002 movie of the same name. As a writer interested in the anomalous and supernatural, he traveled worldwide to research firsthand and wrote several books on paranormal phenomena. Similar to Jacques Vallee (see his excellent PASSPORT TO MAGONIA and his other books on UFOs), Keel came to the conclusion that phenomena such as fairy folk, UFO aliens, and other strange apparitions are likely produced by the same source: these 'elementals' may actually be 'a part of the human psyche' but he has coined the terms 'ultraterrestrial' or 'parahuman' to describe these beings who have influenced humans throughout history. They manifested as the 'gods' in ancient times and have always exercised an open or covert influence on human development and beliefs. Keel states: '...the earth has two histories: the history taught in our colleges and schools, and the real but ignored history of a very ancient people and of strange forces that have often supervised human events.' He points out that scientists usually ignore anomalous phenomena and says 'Although this sort of evidence is superabundant, it has never been systematically studied by trained scholars. Instead, this material has fallen into the hands of assorted cultists and students of fringe pseudosciences. It has been used to advance belief in everything from lost Atlantis to extraterrestrial visitants from some distant planet. To subscribe to any one of these multitudinous beliefs is to exclude all other possibilities. We should consider every possibility, avoid belief, and accept only the hard facts.'

OUR HAUNTED PLANET covers a wide range of anomalous phenomena from ancient times to the present. Some of the material overlaps with what Graham Hancock covers in his books, but Hancock comes across as a devout believer in contrast to the more objective approach taken by John Keel, Jacques Vallee, and others.

Among other things, Keel looks at the Great Pyramid, Stonehenge, the Nazca Lines, Tiahuanaco and other curious and apparently interrelated structures found throughout the world.

He examines theories about the origin of man and also looks at the ideas Dr. Immanuel Velikovsky proposed in his book WORLDS IN COLLISION.

He also discusses persistent patterns in UFO activity and the Men In Black (MIB) and other human 'mimics', and notes that 'The activities of these parahumans are largely confined to specific areas of this planet, where they appear and reappear century after century.' These are the so-called 'windows' or 'portals' into another reality, and tend to be places where geological magnetic faults exist. (Canadian neurologist Michael Persinger and others suggest that these electromagnetic properties may affect the brain and cause susceptible people to have paranormal experiences.)

Keel examines the negative influence these parahumans have had on humanity, such as the demonic possession of Hitler and his followers. He notes that they are often deceptive, racist, and incite strife and military conflicts. Jacques Vallee is in agreement and notes similar dangers these entities can pose in his books MASTERS OF DECEPTION, CONFRONTATIONS, DIMENSIONS and REVELATIONS.

Keel also briefly examines the influence these ultraterrestrials have had on various beliefs and notes 'The crux of the problem is to reach beyond the endless reports of varied manifestations and seek out the source: the physical, psychic, or psychological mechanism which has inspired these beliefs.' The ultimate source of all this phenomena still remains an open and controversial issue.

The publisher notes that this book was originally written in 1971 so some material may be dated and some comments may now be 'politically incorrect'. This book also does not contain footnote references or a bibliography, and the Kindle book does not have a linked Table of Contents so readers must make their own highlights. However, I've read all of John Keel's books related to the paranormal and hope that they will all be available as ebooks because his ideas are still insightful and relevant, as are the books written by Jacques Vallee and also the recently available ebook by Aneila Jaffe which I also review: Death Dreams and Ghosts

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun!, December 13, 2013
I originally found this book at a garage sale in the mid-nineties. It sparked a TON of research into everything from geography to the Bible. I was Thrilled to add it to my Kindle library. It is a thought provoking, easy read that everyone should own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Survey of the Arcane and Unexplained, May 30, 2013
CB (Triton, Neptune) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Haunted Planet (Paperback)
"Our Haunted Planet" is a survey of unexplained but seemingly verified events ranging from "ultra-terrestrial" encounters, to UFO sightings, and mysterious disappearances - sometimes en masse. The book is also quite the anthropological foray into the strange and rather recent discoveries of things and places such as Easter Island, the Olmec statutes, Metalanim, Tiahuanaco, Sascayhuaman and Timbuktu. It's recommended to perform an internet search of these places Keel describes in order to enliven this work, as there were no photos in the volume I read. Indeed, the pictures of Tiahuanaco and Sascayhuaman are fascinating. Keel also documents multiple encounters with the famed "Men in Black," which seemed to eerily appear after unsuspecting residents witnessed UFOs or other "ultra-terrestrial" events. Highly interesting also were Keel's documentation of all the different types of radio frequencies being transmitted and the discoveries of ancient methods of broadcasting. This reminded me of the "Delta Witch" James Shelby Downard describes in The Carnivals of Life and Death: My Profane Youth: 1913-1935.

While there are a couple of chapters in which Keel gets a bit bogged down into New Age philosophy, overall he maintains his pragmatic approach which is welcomed in works of this sort. There are places where the reader may disagree with how Keel handles the subject matter, but he certainly authored a fine book and entertaining read.

I recommend reading along with Jim Brandon's Weird America and Fr. Seraphim Rose's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. John Keel also mentioned several works in "Our Haunted Planet" that I had not read before, but have since added to my mounting "to read" list. These include Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision, and H.S. Bellamy's The Great Idol of Tiahuanaco: An Interpretation in the Light of the Hoerbiger Theory of Satellites of the Glyphs carved on its surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intriguing Read, November 6, 2012
I have read a couple of John A. Keel's books over the years, including "The Mothman Prophecies," "Operation Trojan Horse," and "Disneyland of the Gods," and "Our Haunted Planet" is no exception. I have found Keel's investigative approach to the UFO phenomena and his observations intriguing and well-received with respect.

I have found "Our Haunted Planet" to be a fascinating read with never a dull moment. Each page always contains something new and exciting and yet chilling, in regards to the paranormal issues.

Truly, this book will give the reader a much food for thought.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Our Haunted Planet
Our Haunted Planet by John A. Keel (Paperback - May 1, 1999)
$14.95 $14.20
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies