Our Inventions
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$17.14+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 24, 2011
I wasn't too sure what to expect after just listening to the samples here on Amazon, but this whole album is quite special.

It's the sort of album that I wish I'd made really, if I could. And that's kind of its appeal. It sounds 'home made'. Get your laptop out, load up your favourite music software, plug in a keyboard and do it. Of course, that's pretty deceptive, because, as you listen, you can hear the art, craft and skill that has gone into making these little gems of musical clockwork.

There are echoes of Kratwerk in the rigid tempos, strict 4/4 beats, Farfisa organ sounds, but also definite references to 'Laurie Anderson', 'Bjork' and even, in its carefully considered naivete, maybe 'Penguin Cafe Orchestra'. It's mechanical, but organically so. Perhaps odd but it also reminded me of 'I'm A Cyborg, But That's O.k.' I suppose it's the mix of electro-mechanical devices and soft, very human, vocals.

Lyrically, it's the same. Short, sharp phrases but sung softly and gently, undercutting their abruptness:

"I'm gonna sleep fast. That tomorrow comes quick. Cause things. Move on. I'm gonna work fast. Cause tomorrow comes quick. We all. Move on. You're just a small light. So useless under the sun. No one will recognise you shine. Try, try harder they say, try. Try, won't you try harder they say, try. Try, try harder you say, try. Try, I will try harder you say, try."

It's an album you can drift off to, almost ambient, but it's also something you can seriously listen to. And it has something to say. Whereas Kraftwerk celebrated the 'Electronic Age' rejoicing in becoming a Showroom Dummy, this seems more resigned to it, in a softly ironic sort of way.

Yes - special.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2010
Upon reading another review, I became concerned about what I'd find in this album. I took a chance and found that I love it. My personal opinion is that "Scary World Theory" is pretty boring, but "Faking the Books" is good, not great. I think "Our Inventions" is great. Choice tracks include "Remember", "Future Tense" and "Move On". While not as energetic and fast paced as "Faking the Books", it is a very solid album with memorable melodies, unique sounds and soothing beats. I'm just surprised that there hasn't been more hype around this album. Highly recommended!
on May 18, 2010
After a 5 year haitus one would think that with Our Inventions Lali Puna would expound upon (and finely hone into a crowning jewel of their oeuvre) the brilliant fusion of lo-fi electronics and hard rock riffs from their last release Faking the Books (one of my favorite beginning-to-end CDs of all time) but no. Our Inventions takes two steps back to Scary World Theory. One would think that's not a bad thing at first but it is.

Take everything that made Scary World Theory an amazing listen: the glitchy clicky electronics, the hauntingly alienating beats, the ghostly piano riffs and then delete them. What you have left is Our Inventions, a even tempo, low key snorefest. Very, very disappointing with "Remember", "Future Tense", and "That Day" the only tracks that are even close to the brillance that once was Lali Puna.

What happened?

Our Inventions isn't a bad listen but it's a bit bland and boring. Maybe I would have liked it more if "Remember" wasn't the first single I heard giving me goosebumps of what's to come but compared to the rest of their back catalogue it's a huge WTF. Tread lightly if you deign to venture into this new Lali Puna release. It seems a bit lazy, a bit uninspired as if they phoned this one in. Let's hope their next release doesn't take 5 years and isn't as disappointing or better yet, maybe they should have called it quits with Faking the Books.

However, at the moment I'm underwhelmed.
on January 5, 2013
Lali Puna still are outputting well crafted indietronics even though this is not as good as either 'Faking the books' or 'Scary World Theory'.