Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Our Italian Surnames
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 30, 2000
Even though you might not find your surname listed, you will be able to find the "root" name yours derived from. I found it extremely interesting how some of our Italian name got their start. Also how some names are very specific to one certain area. A must for Italian genealogy.
on October 10, 2005
Joseph Fucilla was the son of Italian immigrants from a small village: his interest in his heritage led to in-depth investigations of the origins of Italian proper names - a field which contributes to genealogical pursuit in Our Italian Surnames. Originally published in 1949, this is still regarded as the authoritative reference on the subject, wit chapters covering botanical names, occupative names, compound names and more. Quite technical listings identify names under each category and add often extensive footnoted references: a must for any researching their Italian roots.
Here's what your last name means:

Marazi -- (a handax used by cask makers)
Batacchi - (bell clapper)
Malanotte - (bad night)
Molinaro - (a miller)
Chiappa - (buttocks)

This book is one of kind, and amazing. I look up all my friends and relatives names. Joseph G. Fucilla gives an easy to use index, and also names and root words arranged by themes (Botanical Names, Geographical Names etc...)
He also goes into detail region by region... so that with a little work, you can trace where your name comes from and the meaning behind it.

Great gift for all of Italian descent.
299 pages
Great resource.
This will stay on your shelf for generations.

forever,
Annie

Annie Lanzillotto
author of "L is for Lion: an italian bronx butch freedom memoir" SUNY Press
and "Schistsong" BORDIGHERA Press

www.annielanzillotto.com

L Is for Lion: An Italian Bronx Butch Freedom Memoir (SUNY series in Italian/American Culture)
Schistsong (Via Folios)
Blue Pill
Carry My Coffee (Live)
Eleven Recitations
on May 31, 2013
Doing genealogy sometimes is frustrating when you don't speak or read the language. This book has been very helpful. Thanks to this author's diligence I now can decipher names.
on July 28, 2008
I found the book easy to read and the selection of names was extensive with many suggestions for further reading. A great help in my research into our family history.
on November 7, 2005
This is a reprint of a book written in 1949. Dr. Fucilla was born in Italy and a full professor at Northwestern U., who retired in 1965. My copy has a sturdy binding and no frills packaging. The entries are very clear and easy to follow. I was amazed by how many of the surnames I was interested in were covered. I have used it for years. This is a must have for anybody interested in Italian family history.
on August 18, 2014
Interesting, but a number of names I looked up were in included.
on June 3, 2004
I am fascinated that this book was even put together. It will give you a better understanding of Italian surnames and various origins. I think its a must have for any italian genealogist.
on March 24, 2014
I liked it --sort of. Was like reading a text book. Didn't get all the info I was looking for either.
on July 24, 2014