5.0 out of 5 stars A must see
I think this movie is absolutely wonderful! It gives great insight into family life!! Not all kids are lucky to have a 2 parent family. It shows how children are affected by the problems of there parents!! There is alot of fun in this movie also. It is not one to be missed!
Published on March 14, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Temple film
"Our Little Girl" is a lesser Shirley Temple film, but it's still pretty good. Quite different from the musical spectaculars Temple was known for, "Our Little Girl" gave her a chance to show off her acting skills.
The storyline is surprisingly contemporary. If you changed the costumes and cars, it could be a modern TV script.
One interesting...
Published on April 21, 2001 by sopera

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Temple film, April 21, 2001
This review is from: Our Little Girl [VHS] (VHS Tape)
One interesting thing about this film is that Shirley plays a very normal American child--not a waif, an orphan or someone's long-lost granddaughter. She's Molly Middleton, the only daughter of a doctor and a housewife. She has a splendid house, an adorable Scottie dog and a room furnished with anything a 6 year old could want. Her parents take her on outings, have pinics at the river and spoil her rotten.
However, there's trouble in Paradise. Molly's father (Joel McCrea), a brilliant researcher, begins to neglect his family and put in long nights at the lab. Molly's mother (Rosemary Ames), who grows bored of sitting around the house by herself, takes up with a dashing new suitor, Rolfe Brant (Lyle Talbot). The marriage falls apart, and Mrs. Middleton plans to seek a divorce and run away with Brant.
Caught in the middle of all the chaos, of course, is Molly. She stresses out over her parents and tries to sabotage her mother's new relationship. As she is increasingly ignored, Molly worries that her parents don't love her anymore, and, eventually, runs away from home. Since this is a Temple film, there is a happy ending, but not before her parents are given a scare and a chance to re-evaluate their situation.
Molly's fears about the divorce and her parents are honest and realistic, and they are played out well in the script. In one scene, she cries while her parents fight in the next room. In another, she confronts her mother's boyfriend Mr. Brant with some biting, but painfully polite, retorts (Molly, on being asked to call the boyfriend 'Uncle Rolfe': "can't we just talk without my calling you anything...sir?"). When Molly meets her father, right after discovering that Mrs. Middleton and Mr. Brant plan to marry, she is too grief-stricken to speak.
Temple handled the role well. She was not given a showcase for her musical talents in this film (excepting one short song), but she did prove that she was just as gifted in acting. Her interactions with McCrea and Talbot were especially strong.
Among the other actors, the dapper Lyle Talbot was phenomenal. Cast as Rolfe Brant, he did a good job of portaying the film's closest thing to a villain. He also had a great speech at the end of the movie.
The material isn't always top-notch, however. There are a few other scenes that are extremely sappy, and some of the lines and later plot twists are a bit implausible. The action also tends to drag a little. However, this is still an interesting find and worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see, March 14, 2002
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Our Little Girl-we don't care about her, August 12, 2001
This review is from: Our Little Girl [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This sounds like a more modern movie and many children could relate to this. Molly (TEMPLE) is a sweet little girl who only see both parents together two days a year. When they want to get a divore Shirley(Molly) tries to keep them together. She goes to the circus and decides to run away. I think they could have found a better thing then running away but can't do that now. She sings one short song in this movie and it takes away from the hapiness because when Shirley sings-everyone's happy. In the movie her parents really don't seem to care about her which I think is very odd. Not the greatest- but see it anways-you might think diffrent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, May 29, 2013
I watched this as a child and enjoyed it just as much today. This is my favorite movie of hers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the Movie don't care for the sound effects added, February 14, 2014
This movie of Shirley's gets less attention than other movies because there is no singing or dancing, but I think the movie offers a strong plot and story than some of the other Temple movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Temple the BEST child star ever!, October 23, 2005
This review is from: Our Little Girl [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie is very different from a usual Shirley Temple movie. But she is still so very cute. If youre a big Shirley Temple fan like me than you must buy this and if you dont like Shirley Temple (which is impossible) then dont buy it. It is a sweet movie and it is very enjoyable. Although there is only one song and no dancing. I gave it three stars because it has Shirley Temple and because it made me smile!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Our Little Girl [VHS] (VHS Tape)
A true Shirley Temple classic!!! Shirley is at her best along with Joel McCrea before "Sullivan's Travels" and Shirley's acting is perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Included in the Shirley Temple Little Darling Collection, June 7, 2014
When I ordered the Shirley Temple Little Darling Collection, which includes 18 movies, I considered, "Which other Shirley Temple movies do I wish were included?" Our Little Girl came to mind, so I decided to order the individual DVD. When ordering, I thought I was getting a physical DVD, but I mistakenly ordered the digital version. So, be more alert when ordering than I was, if you want an actual DVD. In Our Little Girl singing and dancing are not the focus -- Shirley Temple's acting ability is featured, and she holds-her-own with the adult stars: Rosemary Ames, Joel McCrea, and Lyle Talbot. It is quite remarkable, really, for a 7-year-old to have performed with such professionalism! The topic of the film continues to be very contemporary -- dissatisfaction and threatening dissolution of a marriage, and its effect upon the child. Reserving a "May Saturday" and a "September Saturday" for a special family outing is a charming idea, and would be a memorable tradition for any contemporary family to start. Viewing Our Little Girl is, indeed, a pleasant way to spend 65 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars she has super powers with her super smile, February 26, 2014
I love everyone of her movies. They never grow old for me. She is like a ray of SUNSHINE blasting in thru your tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, not good version, February 17, 2014
I greatly enjoy Shirley Temple movies. I have been trying to find this one on DVD for years, it appears to be unavailable. Although, I love the story, this copy of the movie is not very good. It is a colorized version of the black and white and you still see parts of the black and white in it. In this Shirley Temple movie, Shirley is the daughter of a doctor and his wife. His wife used to be her husbands nurse until their "little girl" came along. In comes a new nurse to help the doctor and an old friend with a shared interest of horses to help the wife get over her loneliness. How will little Shirley help this couple get back together? With her lovable charm of course.

Our Little Girl [VHS]
Our Little Girl [VHS] by John S. Robertson (VHS Tape - 1995)
$19.50