4.0 out of 5 stars A book about a family
Published on December 23, 2012 by PRD

2.0 out of 5 stars where's the story?
The story really has no progression or arc. There really is no story at all. It's just anecdotes about life in the household. There's a neighbor who "doesn't like what the moms are" but there's no real conflict or resolution.
Published 14 months ago by Ruthie NY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A book about a family, December 23, 2012
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
I'm reading the 1 star comments and laughing. Yes, if you think children should not know about gay families (or adoptive families, or families with more than 1 child, or families who celebrate Halloween, etc, etc, etc...all things that DO happen in our world regardless of whether you agree with it), you won't like this. *I*, however, thought it was a good book. Really, the facts that the children are adopted and that the parents are both mothers are REALLY NOT FOCUSED ON. They just happen to be a 2-mom family, the kids just happen to be adopted. It's really the equivalent of a book about a mom-dad family where there isn't a lot of discussion about WHO makes up the couple, but that information is part of the background. The conflict with the neighbor isn't even the focus of the book. It, too, was a very small sub-story in this book. Goodness, find this from your library, see what I'm talking about, and then buy it if you feel inclined to do so. But honestly, as someone who would have been 100% fine if the "difference" WERE the focus of the book, this is just a book about a family. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite!, December 16, 2009
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
The book is wonderful and my absolute favorite among my children's books. Our kids read it often and will always comment on certain aspects that relate to their own stories.
the book touches on many topics: the unconditional love of two mothers for their children, lesbian parenting, adoption, transracial families, homophobia, true family values, loss, and the comfort we find in the traditions that we create.
I have read it so many times - and still my eyes tear up at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars a story full of a family's love and warmth, November 28, 2009
Great Kid Books "helping parents find great b... (-------------------------------Berkeley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
Marmee and Meema and their three children fill their lives with the of joy of new puppies, holiday meals and homemade Halloween costumes. They cook together, laugh together, dance together. Their lives are like any other family in their town. And while one of their neighbors doesn't accept them because they are different, Marmee and Meema handle it with gentleness and grace, focusing instead on the support they feel from the rest of their neighborhood.

Patricia Polacco has created a portrait of a loving family here, celebrating their differences while showing the love that all of the family members feel for each other. This certainly can help children see that families with two moms, two dads or adopted children are families full of love; but this book also simply reminds children of the love and safety they feel within their own home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story. A must read!, May 15, 2013
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
Polacco, P. (2009). In our mothers' house. New York, NY: Philomel Books.

Genre: Children's Picture Storybook

Polacco stepped aside from her usual books based on personal experiences and heritage to write a book for children and families that she has met in schools, at speaking engagements, etc. In Our Mothers' House is the story of three adopted children and the love and devotion they received from their two mothers in their mothers' house. Polacco's story highlights the love of this family but also showcases some of the challenges and discrimination that "non-traditional" families face.

I particularly enjoyed the scenes in which the mothers sewed the children's homemade Halloween costumes and dresses for a special tea. Despite all the love and support the two mothers offered their children, there was one mother in the neighborhood that was not accepting of their non-traditional family and it is beyond sad that these children had to deal with the hateful confrontation of this cold, bitter woman in such a public manner. Fortunately, Marmee and Meema were loving individuals and they did not let the hateful comments of one person impact the love in their hearts. I admire their strength and respectful response to hatred.

The book follows the three children into their adult lives. Sharing their marriages at their mothers' house, capturing the first steps of their own children at their mothers' house, and coming together for family events/gatherings after their mothers have passed...this story is remarkably touching and brought tears to my eyes.

Beautiful, beautiful story of unconditional love. Polacco at her finest!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story, June 18, 2009
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
Patricia Polacco's IN OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE tells of Marmee, Meema and the kids who are like any other family - except they have two moms and no dad. One family on their block won't accept them - but their house is filled with love and gentle teachings in this wonderful story of a different family. An exceptional acquisition, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars In Our Mothers' House, October 23, 2011
Sarah G (Rochester, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
I am a grad student in a Reading Specialist program and bought this book after discussing it in one of my classes. I am a huge fan of Patricia Polacco's and this book is no exception. It is a heartwarming tale of a multi-ethnic family and their two mothers. It discusses their everyday life and the love and happiness in their family. There is also 1 family down the block that introduces tension to the story - with their vocal disapproval of the relationship between the two mothers.

Overall, a great book that I really enjoyed reading.

A few disappointing things - the illustrations of the two mothers are very much the stereotypical portrayal of lesbian women, short hair, pants (there is a specific point in the book of how they never wear dresses), etc. Also, at the end of the book, the 3 children go off and start jobs and find their own relationships. The jobs selected for each child stick to the traditional gender roles (which is disappointing since this is a book that is advocating for acceptance of this family structure)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book Representing Diversity, May 14, 2013
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
Patricia Polacco has many wonderful books to her credit, this one is no exception. This is a lovely book showing a family with same sex parents who adopt three children, the oldest child has dark skin, the second child is of Asian descent and the third baby is a red head.

The oldest child narrates as she recalls what it was like growing up within the love and comfort of her family's home. She describes the differences in her mothers' parenting styles and personalities. She remembers the way their house was alive with music, the fun they would have dancing together and how the children loved sliding down the banister. She recalls memorable moments growing up; the time her little sister drew all over the living room wall, her mothers' making all of their Halloween costumes, getting new puppies and building a tree house in the backyard. She tells about growing up, moving away from home and starting her own family, yet always coming back for holidays, birthdays and important family gatherings like when her grandparents passed away.

This is a wonderful book that shows the love of a family, it shows the differences between individuals in both the way they look, (skinny, plump, brown-skinned, white-skinned, red-haired) and in personality and in talents possessed. It offers parents all kinds of opportunities to talk with their children about the experiences we all share as members of a family as well as how we treat people who are different from us in one way or another.

Books like this help us have meaningful conversations with our children about what we value, how we treat people, and that while we might be different in some ways, that we are really all very much alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on the Shelves, February 9, 2013
Eyeconic (South Beach, Miami Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
After the intervention of the ACLU, this wonderful book is back on the shelves in Davis County, Utah ( [...] ). Yet I am saddened that some people continue to view diversity as some sort of threat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Description should mention the mothers die at the end of the book., July 31, 2013
J. Stevens (Brooklyn, NYC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
Bought this to read to our daughter. Nice storey of how 3 children are adopted and raise by their mothers but story continues into adulthood including the mothers growing elderly and dying. Even for the target age (6-8 year olds) it's not an easy ending to read to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, February 11, 2014
PSS "PSS" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Mothers' House (Hardcover)
My 5 year old picked out this book from our public library. I understood immediately what it was about. We read it together and agreed that what made a family special was love. We also discussed that some people just don't understand that families can look very different. Later, my husband was reading the book to both of our kids. He was reading ahead to see if it was "appropriate" for kids. I overheard my daughter inform him not to jump ahead because this was the most important part of the book: “This part helps you understand that not all families look alike and that is ok.” At the end of the book, she said with glee, "I want to be part of that family!" This book was our introduction to Patricia Polacco who will forever be one of our favorite authors. Her stories are thought provoking and her illustrations are wonderful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In Our Mothers' House
In Our Mothers' House by Patricia Polacco (Hardcover - April 30, 2009)
$17.99 $13.76