Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 17, 2012
As I always state on the rare occasions when I actually write a review, a product has to be amazing or terrible for me to bother writing it. This album warranted a review because it is simply amazing.

I had never heard of Emeli Sande but I was intrigued by, of all things, the title of the album. It sounded like something that might be a little deeper than all of the superficial music that has been produced in the last decade. I gave it a preview and was impressed. The one thing that I can say about this album overall, is that it is very uplifting and made me feel better about everything: life, love, and the world. It's not a gospel or Christian album but it still had the ability to draw me in and make me feel something, which most music cannot do these days. You can feel the passion that went into the making of this album. There are no mindless lyrics here (unlike the 4th Maroon 5 album). You can feel how she poured herself into this album. It's as if a renowned poet and talented vocalist got together with an amazing producer and decided to make an album. I was able to listen to this album several times in a row and find something new each time. I am not easily impressed by music anymore but this one took me completely by surprise. It's hard to put into words the kind of feeling that this album evokes but I cannot get enough of it. It's the kind of album that I want everyone in the world to hear.

In short, preview it, I guarantee that if you have refined or mature taste in music, or even remotely like projects that show some real effort, you will thoroughly enjoy this album. There is not a single weak track.

1: Heaven - Great upbeat tempo, lyrics, and hook. A real head-nodder.

2: My Kind of Love - Moving sound and lyrics. One of those songs that reaches down and touches something within you. Has a somewhat epic sound to it.

3: Where I Sleep - Another great song, hard to describe, just have to hear it.

4: Wonder - Great moving anthem. Makes you want to get up and celebrate life. Has kind of an African dance feel, definitely ethnic and infectious, and very uplifting.

5: Mountains - Another touching song, about the power of a united couple facing life's challenges.

6: Clown - Deeply introspective. Don't really know how to explain it but I love it.

7: Daddy - Great upbeat tempo, so much so that it is easy to overlook the message of the song, which is kind of deep.

8: Maybe - Great song about how relationships hit rough patches but not to give up. Anyone who has ever had a failed or rocky relationship will appreciate this.

9: Suitcase - A woman confused about why her man is leaving, very nice. Mellow.

10: Breaking the Law - Love the acoustic guitar. Would love to see this on an Unplugged show. Very simple but moving.

11: Next to Me - Great uptempo number that moved me with a great piano melody (the way "I'll Be Waiting" did on Adele's "21"). Very infectious. This may be my favorite track overall. This is the one that you will want to put on repeat and blast wherever.

12: River - Another deep ballad. Love it. The words and music will move you.

13: Lifetime - Cool mid-tempo song. Very nice

14: Hope - One of those new inspiring anthems. This song will give you hope.

15: Easier in Bed - Interesting track, hard to describe but nice outro. Made me nod my head.

Overall, I can't get enough of this album. I'm afraid that I will listen to it too much and have to restrict myself to no more than one play per day.

PLEASE LISTEN TO IT! This is the kind of artist that I would like to hear more of, so we all need to support her.
66 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2012
Wow, I live in the U.S. I've never heard of Emeli. I decided to give this album a chance since Amazon was selling the mp3 album only $ 5.00. Plus I stumbled upon Tinie Tempah, Florence + The Machine, Jessie J last year. I love those albums and over course I love Adele, Leona Lewis and Ellie Goulding. I'm now convinced I need to check out the UK charts. There's so much music out there beyond whats popular in the US.
on January 31, 2013
I love this album! Emeli Sande Is definitely a breath of fresh air, especially today when a lot of the music doesn't have that much meaning behind it. She's an inspiration.
on February 1, 2013
My favorite song on here is "Clown", none can beat it, in my opinion. This is a CD that I can put on and just chill too. It's not overdone and it's not cheesy....it's just right.
on January 24, 2013
Our Version of Events has been on repeat since I downloaded the album. Excellent lyrics, and her voice is very different and great to listen to. The British influence (somewhat obvious since she is Scottish) is definitely present. "Where I sleep" and "Breaking the Law" are fantastic, as well as the single "Next to Me".
on May 27, 2013
I bought this when it first came out because of the critical praise this was receiving. It is one of my favorite releases from last year. Much like when Adele's first CD came out I begged people to listen to it and told them how amazing it and she was. No one listened. :) Now they're all huge fans since the 2nd CD. I did the same with this and none of my friends listened again. So, maybe it'll take another CD to get people to take notice. She is going places. Amazing talent.
on January 23, 2013
What a pleasant surprise. I only ordered this CD because it was recommended related to my other musical choices. I'm so glad I took a chance! It's on permanent rotation right now. That voice! Beautiful, great rang, and spirited. And the songs are very different from a lot of the R&B out there. In fact, I'm not sure I would say this is straight up R&B. There's a folk/blues quality to some of the tracks, but not all. Some of the songs are just as catchy and soulful as any Mary J. Blige song (old Mary of course). At any rate, it feels great to be able to listen to a CD from start to finish again. It's hard to find these days. I'll definitely be buying more of Emile's music in the future.
on February 13, 2013
I love this CD. I have listened to it over and over. It's been hard for me to hear it enough. She has a wonderful voice and a wonderful delivery. And her songs are interesting and mature (no biebercrap).

I have to ding it by a star, however, because there are a couple songs on it that are not as well-produced as the others. Not sure why. They just don't have the same quality of sound.

I hope she records more soon.
on October 1, 2013
I cannot say enough about this CD, this music, and this artist. Emile Sande has an outstanding, unique voice with a lot of feeling, soul, and emotion. She also plays the piano, the cello, the clarinet, and writes her own music and music for others. Every song in this CD is heartfelt, and easy to relate to and connect with all her powerful heartfelt lyrics. She is a very talented and intelligent young lady who finished her degree in neuroscience but opted to go back to her passion which is music and to produce her own record which has become a best seller in the UK. She is right up there with Alicia Keys and deserves the same level of fame and she has the same level of talent. I discovered her by hearing Alicia mention her name as a collaborator on one of her new songs from her new "the Girl is On Fire" CD. I highly recommend this CD and urge others to tell their friends about this great musical talent!!! I listen to and own thousands of CD's. I love music!
on November 14, 2012
It is rare that I find an artist who captivates me out of the gate, impressing me with both their voice and ability to write lyrics. Interestingly enough, I first heard of Emeli in an interview with one of the kids from Glee who said she had an amazing voice & no one in the States had heard of her yet. I was intrigued enough to look her up & I haven't looked back. When I first looked, there was only a scattering of acoustic videos available on YouTube since this album hadn't been released yet. Interestingly, this led me through a realization about production values. When you listen to the acoustic version of "Heaven," the subtext of the lyrics are much more apparent and I was originally frustrated by how overpowering the dance beat of the official version was. Over time, I've come to really enjoy them both, though I wonder if I would have ever gotten hooked if I'd only had the dance mix as reference first. That being said, I love the mix of "Next To Me" on the album because the driving drum beats they added amplify what was a good song into a great song.

Emeli is a great writer and at her best with lyrics that can be interpreted depending on your experiences... "Daddy" especially strikes me as an ill-advised love story or story of chemical addiction, making it's point all the better because I'm not sure those are entirely different things. "River" is a great reflection on life and what it takes to evolve. For standout favorites, though, I have to go with "Read All About It" and, if you're evaluating different versions of this album go with the one that has "Easier In Bed" (haunting how close to the bone she can get, this is NOT sugar-coated pop). At the same time, depending on my mood, "My Kind Of Love" is the kind of assertive message I like to belt out in my car that can be my favorite on the album, or maybe the tender, deep-in-denial "Suitcase." I am shamed to admit that it took me a dozen listens before I realized that her reference to "Martin" was about Martin Luther King, but when it finally hit me, the whole of "Hope" took on a whole other level of meaning. It's this kind of prize that makes me love and respect and artist and album, a sentiment that strikes me all too rarely, but all the more welcome for it.