4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Travel, Quick Reads
Out of my Later Years is a collection of Einstein's speeches and articles covering not just physics but his thoughts on the social condition of man, of Jews, and of war as well as several speeches about the likes of Max Planck, Mahatma Gandhi, and Marie Curie.
Published on March 23, 2000 by Jennifer B. Barton

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for casual reading
too deep technically for casual reading. Some of his early chapters are interesting to learn about how he saw life and the big picture but then it goes into his understanding of technical matters and it becomes a deep science text book.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Travel, Quick Reads, March 23, 2000
As letters and speeches, these are written as the ordinary man that Einstein once was - very easy to read and understand. Even some of the physics lectures are understandable. Each is relatively short making this perfect for when you want to read something of substance but don't have much time.
The sections on Public Affairs are especially haunting as Einstein presents his arguments for the "global village" and advocated someting akin to the current U.N. - things that began to come into their own after his passing. In particular, there is an interchange between him and a group of Communist scientists that underlines the Cold War tension in its height and is a chilling read now in the Post Soviet Union age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essays of the last fifteen years, June 26, 2005
This volume collects essays of the last fifteen years of his life. The work has sections on 'Convictions and Beliefs' 'Science and Life' ' Public Affairs' ' Personalities' and 'His own people: The Jews"

The work features expositions of some of Einstein's major scientific work.

Among the personalities written about are Gandhi who Einstein greatly admires, Newton, Kepler, Planck, Madame Curie, Langevin, and lesser known figures Paul Ehrenfest,Carl von Ossietsky.

Einstein writes much about the terrible changes in Germany he saw in his own lifetime, the rise of Nazism and Anti- Semitism.

He writes about the creation of a national homeland for the Jews, his own Zionism, and his own connection with the Jewish people.

He writes too about his conception of world- peace, about the threat to the world brought about something he is no small part a contributor to, the harnessing of the atom.

In writing about himself in the opening section of the work he says, "I do the thing which my own nature drives me to do. It is embarassing to earn so much love and respect for it."

He celebrates the life of thought , of the solitary individual .

Einstein is the greatest modern example of Keynes dictum of how it is 'ideas' that change the world. He is the example of how one man alone , thinking, transformed our understanding of nature, and our power to change it.

In these essays the main interests of Einstein's life are touched upon. He writes with clarity and modesty.

An invaluable opportunity to be in touch with ' the Mind that defined an Age'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Einstein- candid & prophetic, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Out of My Later Years: The Scientist, Philosopher, and Man Portrayed Through His Own Words (Kindle Edition)
The man is a hero for me & source of inspiration. To read his musings & heartfelt beliefs is a real treat! He was a straightforward, humble man... one can almost forget how his theorems changed the way we see the world. Reading he concerns for what one should strive for, feels like being in a parlor talking with your favorite grandfather. And you're old enough to enjoy the wisdom of what he has to say. I got this on kindle because my old battered paperback is falling apart. You'll want to return to this again & again!

5.0 out of 5 stars As poignant and nostalgic as the man himself, May 29, 2001
This review is from: Out of My Later Years (Paperback)
I bought this book in my early twenties still unsure of what to do with my life but at least certain of the fundamentals and morals with which one should follow. Einsteins prose on life, morality, religion, science, personalities are words which echo the wisdom of many years and the experiences which have shaped them. Now, 7 years later, I pick up this book, and am reminded of a man who knew that the future is uncertain, but with the the search for truth and compassion, it could be a great place.
This book is a great read - I admire how a man who's thoughts were so complicated, yet simple at the same time. He did not forget where he came from , nor forgot that which is truly significant. And that which drives humanity is not in the theories of relativity, but in our simple acts of humanity.
This book encompasses an era of 1934 - 1950, yet its prose is timeless - even now! Occum's razor wuld be proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much better book than The world as I see it, May 28, 2012
Got this book and the book "the world as I see it" and this is the book to get, skip "the world as I see it" as it is full of scanning errors or typos, that interupt the text to the point of absurdity. This book is wonderful in either hardback or paperback (I have both) and will be something you can enjoy for years....I highly recommend this book to those who wish to understand Einsteins philsophical views on life and liberty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Einstein on Convictions, Science, Peace, Socialism, etc., April 12, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Out of My Later Years (Paperback)
Einstein was not just a famous scientist. As this book reveals, he was also a profound and well-written author. The essays in this collection are enlightening, easily understood, and brief but to the point. I would recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this work, December 12, 2012
It has been inspirational to read words written by Einstein himself and see how he thought about various topics. He was obviously much more than just a scientist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great philosophy, November 23, 2012
M. C. Ferland (Cortez, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This book shows me a person (Einstein) that has spent much time thinking about life and people. I would have loved to have been able to have a conversation with him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of My Later Years, October 15, 2013
Kindle Customer (Pensacola Florida) - See all my reviews
This was an excellent peek into the mind of Einstein the Humanist. The mathematics were far above my head, but the understanding of the relative position of man in society was not. I am humbled by the love of mankind and the positive expectation that man will accept a moral imperative and move forward through cooperation of science and religion. I was only slightly aware of this side of Einstein and now understand why he was so beloved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart guy, January 13, 2012
You feel like you get to know the man behind the genius. easy to read and quite inspirational. should buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›