Out of Our Heads (US Version)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$11.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 6, 2002
Format: Audio CD
With the release of the remastered super audio CDs (SACD) of the Stones ABCKO catalog (which includes all the early Decca/London material), there is now mass confusion about the Out Of Our Heads releases. Allow me to clarify for you:
There are 3 Out Of Our Heads Releases (all were released with lower case titles):
July 30, 1965 - U.S. London Records vinyl out of our heads
(the heads cover with Keith at center)
September 24, 1965 - U.K. Decca Records vinyl out of our heads
(the hallway cover with Brain at front)
December 3, 1965 - U.S. London Records vinyl december's children (and everybody's)
(the hallway cover with Brain at front)
This new remastered SACD is the July 30, 1965 - U.S. London Records vinyl out of our heads release. This version of included include the following tracks that were not to be on the U.K. release: The Last Time, I'm All Right, Satisfaction, Play With Fire, Spider And The Fly, and One More Try. The U.K. version added She Said Yeah, Talkin' Bout You, Oh Baby, Heart Of Stone, and I'm Free.
Note: ABCKO acquired the Stones' catalog when Allen Klein became their manager in the 70s. The resulting legal battles produced releases that the Stones opposed (they took out full page adds asking fans not to buy them), including the controversial Metamorphosis releases (which are now available on CD for the 1st time ever). But the sad fact is that the Stones lost control of their great early material. With these remastered SACD releases, we at last have some idea of what they really sounded like in the studio. I guess if we had these 40 years ago they would have ended up Greatest Rock And Roll Band in the Universe instead of just our tiny little World.
You must buy all 3 releases to get all the tracks, although if you bought the 2 U.S. releases + the earlier U.S. release The Rolling Stones, Now! you would get everything on this U.K. Out Of Our Heads release.
Here is a listing of which tracks are on which release:
U.S. Out Of Our Heads tracks
.....Good Times
.....Cry To Me
.....The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
U.K. Out Of Our Heads tracks
.....Oh, Baby (we got a good thing going)
.....Heart Of Stone
.....Get Off Of My Cloud
.....As Tears Go By
.....Blue Turns To Grey
.....I'm Moving On
The album includes the most famous of all Stones tracks (Satisfaction) as well as The Last Time (one of their most enduring compositions). The U.S. Out Of Our Heads tracks were recorded during 1964-5 as follows:
1964: Oct 27 - Nov 2 at RCA Studios in Hollywood
.....Hitch Hike
1965: Jan 17-18 & Feb 17 at RCA Studios in Hollywood
.....The Last Time
.....Play With Fire
Live in the UK on March 6 (Empire in Liverpool), 7 (Palace in Manchester), or 16 (Granada in Greenford)
.....I'm All Right
.....Good Times
.....Cry To Me
.....The Spider And The Fly
.....One More Try
This information comes from "It's Only Rock And Roll: The Ultimate Guide To The Rolling Stones" by Karnbach and Bernson and from my own collection.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2006
Format: Audio CD
What younger listeners don't seem to get is that The Rolling Stones re-discovered Chicago Blues at a time when Muddy Waters was painting ceilings for a living. The first five Rolling Stones recording, ending with December's Children, are among the best white blues records of all time. For five kid from England, these guys really understood the sound and feel of electric blues from the era before Rock & Roll. Their taste was uncompromising. The addition of slide guitar (Brian Jones was the first slide player in England), cross-harp harmonica style, and raspy vocals were completely new to teenagers when they showed up in 1964. Frankly, if the Stones today could re-create the energy and intelligence of these early performances I suspect they'd have a real hit again. With no slight to the genius of Mick Taylor, the loss of Brian Jones in 1969 deminished greatly the stated Blues-based purpose of the band. I'm amazed as an adult revisiting these old recording at how well performed these tracks are. On Out of Our Heads the Stones explore soul recordings, vocally more complicated than their work on their first album,12X5 and Now. These tracks include songs by Smokey Robinson, Sam Cooke, and Otis Redding and Jagger does a credible job on them. It was hearing Jagger's arrangements of these songs that encouraged me to listen to the originals and ultimately changed my consciousness about what great singing really is.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
The Stones' 1965 blast of "Out of Our Heads" sounds excellent in its 2002 remastered form. The opener "Have Mercy" has a bit of a thin sound, but the boys do bounce through it in homage to Otis Redding. Marvin Gaye's "Hitch Hike" is a blend of soul & swagger with Jagger's drawl giving it urban sass. "The Last Time" is a classic Stones track, "I told you once & I told you twice, but you never listen to my advice." I've been listening to Doyle Bramhall's "Fitchburg Street" this summer with his tribute to Otis Reddings' "That's How Strong My Love Is" which made me jump for this reissue to listen to Jagger's romantic swagger on the slow soul burner. The Sam Cooke tribute "Good Times" is one of his best melodies. I love the live version of "I'm All Right." Of course, "Satisfaction" and "Play With Fire" are two of the strongest Stones' gems. This classic set is well worth the digital attention and sounds fresh 38 years later! Enjoy!
on March 21, 1999
Format: Audio CD
Out of Our Heads to this day remains to be one of my own personal favorite Stones albums. From the very first song, a cover version of Don Covay's "Mercy Mercy" to the last song "One More Try", Out Of Our Heads is truly one of the original Rolling Stones great albums. The album also contains some true classic Jagger/Richard compositions such as "The Last Time" and their bona fide masterpiece "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". From beginning till end Out Of Our Heads contains great cover versions as well as original compositions. One of the strongest albums the Rolling Stones have ever made.
on January 20, 2001
Format: Audio CD
"Out Of Our Heads" displays classic early Rolling Stones the best. If you own one album of the pre "Aftermath" albums, I'd say get this one. It has their three classic singles "The Last Time", "Satisfaction", and "Play With Fire." The album is worth buying just for those three singles. While The Beatles were singing about finding love on every corner, "Satisfaction" told the world how love really works. The highlights of "Out Of Our Heads" however are all the R&B covers...Marvin Gaye's "Hitch Hike", Ottis Redding's "That's How Strong My Love Is" and "Mercy Mercy"...my personal favorite of the covers is of Same Cooke's "Good Times". It re-creates the greatness of the original best out of all the covers. "The Spider And The Fly" and "One More Try" show Jagger and Richard's songwritting progressing while not fully matured. This album is essential for any Rock 'N' Roll fan. No other band will do what The Rolling Stone did again.
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This work would earn a 5-star rating for just one song, one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever--"(I can't get no) satisfaction." But there is a lot more. There are solid covers of songs by artists such as Otis Redding (e.g., "Mercy, Mercy"), Sam Cooke ("Good Times"), and Marvin Gaye ("Hitch Hike"). There are also early classics by Jagger-Richards, such as "Satisfaction," ""The Last Time," and "Play with Fire." And cool little songs such as "The Spider and the Fly" and "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man". And remember that any song attributed to "Nanker Phelge" (such as the aforementioned "The Under Assistant. . .") is a Jagger-Richards composition.

Some representative works (that is, songs that I want to write about). . . .

"Mercy Mercy": This opens the album/CD, an Otis Redding song. Mick Jagger gives a nice, credible blues version of this piece. There is raw and primal guitar work to back his singing.

"The Last Time": This is one of the Stones' best early songs. There is a nice guitar riff to open this work. The rhythm section (Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman) lay down a good base for this song. Some lyrics:

"I've told you once
And I've told you twice.
But you never listen to my advice."

And then, here it is--"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction": I first heard this as an underclass student at Bradley University. Even though my preference was classical music, I understood that this was something special. The fuzz tone riff by Keith Richards at the outset suggests that this is serious business. One typical line that resonated, I'm sure, with many who listened to this:

"I can't get no satisfaction. . . .
Baby, baby maybe come back next week
Cuz' you see I'm on a losing streak."

Drums, bass, and guitars work well together. This is almost as perfect a rock and roll song as you can get.

Then, there's "Play with Fire." This is a hard-edged song, with a degree of menace to it. Starts out with some nice acoustic guitar work.

"And the chauffeur drives your car,
You let everybody know.
But don't play with me
'Cuz you're playing with fire."

A classic rock and roll song, with some very interesting lyrics that are not necessarily typical of the time.

So, is this a seamlessly crafted album? No. Is this a terrific rock and roll work? Yes!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Vastly different from the UK edition (which features the same number of songs, but only half of them are the same), the US edition of the Rolling Stones' fourth record mixes originals and cover songs about equally.

Several of the covers are 60s soul tunes, including superb renditions of "Mercy, Mercy", "Good Times", and "That's How Strong My Love Is", which swing and groove like you won't believe, and they all rank among the best interpretations of other composers' songs the Stones have ever done.

And the originals are mostly excellent as well. The US edition omits "I'm Free", "Heart Of Stone", and "Gotta Get Away", but includes "Play With Fire", "The Last Time", and the all-time classic "Satisfaction", which was a single release in the UK. (Da-daaa-da-da-daaa...)

"The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" is a fun, driving blues (the guitar plays the main harmonica riff from Buster Brown's "Fannie Mae"), and the US edition also features "The Spider And The Fly".

(A number of the tracks which are exclusive to either the US or the UK edition of "Out Of Our Heads" are otherwise only available on compilation albums, so the serious fan needs both of them, of course!)

This magnificent collection of tough rock n' roll, R&B and soul is one of the best albums of the 60s, and it should not be missing from any serious collection of classic rock music.
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon January 15, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Out Of Our Heads contains the strongest original material from the band's first few albums released between 1963-1965. Of course "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" tops the list and with it's fuzz guitar riff, it is one of the most memorable songs in history. "Play With Fire" shows off a more mature edge. The covers they choose are consistently on target including the menacing "The Spider & The Fly", the powerful "That's How Strong My Love Is" and "Mercy, Mercy". Heads marks a major leap by the Jagger-Richards songwriting team and the band was really starting the gel.
on November 3, 2000
Format: Audio CD
As far as the early stuff goes, this is tops. Satisfaction is one of the definitive rock songs of all time. The Last Time is just as good as Satisfaction, although far less famous. Brian Jones plays his best ever lead with a scorching riff. Play With Fire is short and simple but somehow powerful. The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion man is a funny and fun little tune that gives us just a hint of what a great lyricist Jagger would become. 7 of the 12 songs are Jagger/Richards tunes.
Back in 65, the Stones were really more of a blues band than anything else and The Spider and The Fly is about as bluesy as it gets. Good Times, Hike Hike and the other 3 covers are all great. The Stones really put so much emotion into those songs. The only problem I have with this album is that instead of recorded 3 albums in 65, they should have combined the best material from this and the later December's Children into one, even stronger album. Still, this is a great example of what the Stones were about in the early days and it gives a glimpse of what they were about to become.
on November 6, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Definitivamente el mejor disco de los Stones hasta "Beggars Banquet", con un tracklisting fenomenal. Que mejor comienzo que "Mercy Mercy" , incluida en varias recopilaciones de los Stones de los 60's, una verdadera lástima que no la hayan tocado casi nunca en vivo (solo en el concierto del Hyde Park del 69 despues del fallecimiento de Brian Jones). "The last Time" todo un clásico, opacado un poco por la presencia de "(I Can't get no) Satisfaction" (no creo que haga falta hablar de esta canción). "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" demasiado subvaluada, no aparece casi en ninguna parte salvo en "Singles collection, The London Years", pero definitivamente es una gran canción (de mis favoritas de esa época. Cuando la escuches opinarás lo mismo). "Play With Fire", muy sencilla prácticamente con pura guitarra acústica, una genialidad. "The Spider And The Fly", lo más seguro es que te suene por estar incluidad dentro del "Stripped", totalmente diferente, aunque con la misma esencia de Blues. "One More Try" de menos de 2 minutos de duración, pero muy buena. "I'm All right" la cual es en vivo. Definitivamente un disco para todos los amantes de esta banda y del Rock And Roll. El título te lo dice todo...cuidado si no quedas igual!!