5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me have my "aha" moment!
I was the editor who proofread this revised edition. I'm also a mom with 2 sons. I had never heard of SID/SPD at the time, but I thought this seemed like a great and practical book when I edited it. I moved on to my next editing job.

Published on September 30, 2010 by Lynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Activities
Many of the activities seem to be useful and it has an excellent chart in the back outlining which activity is on each page related to the sense.
Published 13 months ago by Always Been a Book Lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me have my "aha" moment!, September 30, 2010
This review is from: The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, Revised Edition: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder (Paperback)

Then my older son went to Kindergarten. At his spring parent-teacher conference, his teacher let us know that she was concerned because he was still parallel playing (appropriate for toddlers, not almost 6 year olds) and he wasn't really interacting with the other children. The school brought in the social worker to model social behavior for him. I talked to both his school and his pediatrician. We were referred to someone for an autism spectrum evaluation. My son had a few of the characteristics, but not enough of them to be on the autism spectrum. The summer between Kindergarten and 1st grade, my son's behavior and anxiety escalated. I scoured the Internet for answers. Not autism, not ADHD. No answers. At the beginning of 1st grade, there was a meeting (IEP) at his school with the principal, his teacher, the social worker, the OT, and the special education teacher. We talked about how to help my son. The OT talked about some of the things and activities she wanted to do throughout the school day. Of course we agreed to all the help they suggested. I went home and mulled it over. Months went by, the suggestions seemed to be helping my son and he was settling in to 1st grade. Still no label, but he was getting better. Sometime in January of his 1st grade year, I had my "aha" moment. I realized that the activities he was doing with the OT at school were the SAME activities suggested in THE OUT-OF-SYNC CHILD HAS FUN--and they were working! Talked again with his pediatrician and the school, and found a wonderful center for Pediatric OT. There my son was diagnosed with SPD. Filling out the forms and checklists, I found myself saying, Yes, Yes, Yes. THIS was exactly my child. Sensory avoider, low muscle tone, proprioceptive dysfunction, along with anxiety.

I'm so very thankful for this book and for Carol Stock Kranowitz. My son has made HUGE improvements in just the 3 years since his diagnosis. I know this will be a lifelong struggle for us and for him, but knowing the right therapy for him will make it that much easier! I can't believe that anyone would ever consider this a fictitious disorder. Walk in my shoes, walk in the shoes of so many families who are affected by SPD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical solutions, March 31, 2007
I have two children with autism and bookcases full of theory on what works best for them. None are as practical and hands on as this book. These are great ideas that don't reguire tons of extra planning and effort. They are fun and they really work. They are also great for ideas for autistic and neurotypical kids to praticipate in together. Most of these ideas would be fun for all kids not just children with sensory processing difficulties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, May 11, 2007
We got this book right after our son was diagnosed with autism. It is the kind of book that you can constantly refer back to as your child progresses and learns new skills. Our child has really enjoyed participating in the activities. Also, the activities are interesting enough that our other son, who does not have autism, enjoys participating as well. This allows for some great peer interaction. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is dealing with a child with sensory integration issues. It is just great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, July 26, 2008
Contains many practical and easy activities that are fun for any child, not just "out of sync." Tried several already and found my grandson loved the originality and the use of everyday objects as situations for play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back To Basics, January 9, 2007
I think that with technology as it is, we sometimes forget how beneficial basic play can be and how greatly it aides in our child's development.

This is such a great book and is so well organized. Every parent and gradparent/childcare giver of children should have this book, Sensory issues or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed!!!, March 21, 2007
Having a son that has just been diagnosed with autism and feeling helpless, this book is just what we needed. This book helped me play wiith my son in ways that were so helpful to him. The book gave me ideas that made my own creative juices flow and I found myself wanting to make toys instead of purchasing them. And we all know that toys can get very expensive. I think it's a must for parents of autistic children.

5.0 out of 5 stars My current favorite book, November 20, 2010
I am a special ed preschool teacher and LOVE this book.. And my students absolutely love the activities- And I love that they're easy and cheap-or free to set up. Did I mention LOVE?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for Parents and Teachers, May 29, 2007
Lois Early (Lancaster, PA) - See all my reviews
The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun is a great resource for parents and teachers. As a teacher of special needs kids, I'm always looking for materials to share with parents, and this one is really meeting the need. Ms. Kranowitz knows her topic. Her ideas for simple, fun activities that teach are easy to follow. This is a book I will use over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Therapy that doesn't feel like therapy, March 29, 2009
Being the adoptive mother of a wonderful little girl with Special Needs, I am ALWAYS looking for new and fun ways to add to her therapy that doesn't feel like therapy. Having found the "Out of Sync Child" book a tremendouse help in our day to day lives, I was hopeful this book would prove beneficial to our play time. And it is. My daughter suffers from Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, a condition that is the result of her being prenatally exposed to alcohol by her birth mother. Her challenges are many, including; Severe Sensory Processing Disorder, OCD, ADHD, Short Term Memory Loss, Cognitive Delays, Emotional Delays, Behavorial issues, just to name a few. Many of these challenges seem to accompany MOST of the brain disorders. So I think this book would be a great addition to the library of any caregiver, teacher, therapist, anyone, that faces these challenges with their child / client.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for parents of children w/autism, June 20, 2008
I've had this book for a couple of years and I love it. I've purchased at least twenty books on autism and this is one of the two I have kept. The ideas are practical, involve materials you can buy inexpensively (or you probably already have around the house) and it's fun for ALL kids. My nt daughter enjoys these activities just as much as my ASD son!

$15.95 $11.07