Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on September 30, 2010
I was the editor who proofread this revised edition. I'm also a mom with 2 sons. I had never heard of SID/SPD at the time, but I thought this seemed like a great and practical book when I edited it. I moved on to my next editing job.

Then my older son went to Kindergarten. At his spring parent-teacher conference, his teacher let us know that she was concerned because he was still parallel playing (appropriate for toddlers, not almost 6 year olds) and he wasn't really interacting with the other children. The school brought in the social worker to model social behavior for him. I talked to both his school and his pediatrician. We were referred to someone for an autism spectrum evaluation. My son had a few of the characteristics, but not enough of them to be on the autism spectrum. The summer between Kindergarten and 1st grade, my son's behavior and anxiety escalated. I scoured the Internet for answers. Not autism, not ADHD. No answers. At the beginning of 1st grade, there was a meeting (IEP) at his school with the principal, his teacher, the social worker, the OT, and the special education teacher. We talked about how to help my son. The OT talked about some of the things and activities she wanted to do throughout the school day. Of course we agreed to all the help they suggested. I went home and mulled it over. Months went by, the suggestions seemed to be helping my son and he was settling in to 1st grade. Still no label, but he was getting better. Sometime in January of his 1st grade year, I had my "aha" moment. I realized that the activities he was doing with the OT at school were the SAME activities suggested in THE OUT-OF-SYNC CHILD HAS FUN--and they were working! Talked again with his pediatrician and the school, and found a wonderful center for Pediatric OT. There my son was diagnosed with SPD. Filling out the forms and checklists, I found myself saying, Yes, Yes, Yes. THIS was exactly my child. Sensory avoider, low muscle tone, proprioceptive dysfunction, along with anxiety.

I'm so very thankful for this book and for Carol Stock Kranowitz. My son has made HUGE improvements in just the 3 years since his diagnosis. I know this will be a lifelong struggle for us and for him, but knowing the right therapy for him will make it that much easier! I can't believe that anyone would ever consider this a fictitious disorder. Walk in my shoes, walk in the shoes of so many families who are affected by SPD.
33 comments| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2007
I have two children with autism and bookcases full of theory on what works best for them. None are as practical and hands on as this book. These are great ideas that don't reguire tons of extra planning and effort. They are fun and they really work. They are also great for ideas for autistic and neurotypical kids to praticipate in together. Most of these ideas would be fun for all kids not just children with sensory processing difficulties.
on July 26, 2008
Contains many practical and easy activities that are fun for any child, not just "out of sync." Tried several already and found my grandson loved the originality and the use of everyday objects as situations for play.
on January 9, 2007
I think that with technology as it is, we sometimes forget how beneficial basic play can be and how greatly it aides in our child's development.

This is such a great book and is so well organized. Every parent and gradparent/childcare giver of children should have this book, Sensory issues or not!
on May 11, 2007
We got this book right after our son was diagnosed with autism. It is the kind of book that you can constantly refer back to as your child progresses and learns new skills. Our child has really enjoyed participating in the activities. Also, the activities are interesting enough that our other son, who does not have autism, enjoys participating as well. This allows for some great peer interaction. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is dealing with a child with sensory integration issues. It is just great!
on April 26, 2013
I'm still perusing this, but I am loving the simple format.

My daughter is a seeker, so I do not have time to actually read more than a paragraph at once. I have been able to use several ideas in this book successfully already!

This was the best idea book so far. Between this and her OT, I think I'll be fine.
on March 21, 2007
Having a son that has just been diagnosed with autism and feeling helpless, this book is just what we needed. This book helped me play wiith my son in ways that were so helpful to him. The book gave me ideas that made my own creative juices flow and I found myself wanting to make toys instead of purchasing them. And we all know that toys can get very expensive. I think it's a must for parents of autistic children.
on May 29, 2007
The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun is a great resource for parents and teachers. As a teacher of special needs kids, I'm always looking for materials to share with parents, and this one is really meeting the need. Ms. Kranowitz knows her topic. Her ideas for simple, fun activities that teach are easy to follow. This is a book I will use over and over again.
on November 20, 2010
I am a special ed preschool teacher and LOVE this book.. And my students absolutely love the activities- And I love that they're easy and cheap-or free to set up. Did I mention LOVE?
on October 4, 2007
While this book is especially helpful for families with children with sensory processing disorder (SPD), all children will enjoy these creative ideas. The summary of different types of SPD at the beginning is useful to show other family members and friends who want to understand your child better.