4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Hackett
Published on June 19, 2010 by J. Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great
Steve Hacket's new album is not an improvement on the last two, unfortunately, but that's a very hard task to accomplish, given the high quality of those excellent records. However, it is a continuation on his journey through the darker, more melancholy side of rock. His style is deeply lyrical and romantic, and I am very happy that he pursues it on this album...
Published on June 16, 2011 by E. Minkovitch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Hackett, June 19, 2010
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
The new original material composed by Steve Hackett on "Out of the Tunnels Mouth" is good, solid Hackett, at the peak of his formidable technique. I especially enjoyed "Emerald and Ash", with beautiful harmonic 12 string accompaniment from Anthony Phillips. Not every track is as memorable, but an enjoyable effort nevertheless. It is an album that grows on you over time. If you enjoyed "To Watch the Storms", you will probably find much to like in this album.

The second disc contains live material from the 2009 tour in Italy, which are mostly Genesis tracks. Genesis purists may not think percussionist Gary O'Toole's vocals do justice to such tracks as "Blood on the Rooftops", but if you have an open mind, it can be a nice visit to a lost era.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Best?, December 7, 2010
Mark Stevens (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
I had read several cautiously positive reviews of Steve Hackett's, Out of the Tunnel's Mouth, so my first listen was a bit of a surprise: it's a marvelously solid release. The songs play like a beautiful visit to Hackett's musical past, with hints of just about every period of his work. Tunnel's Mouth features a variety of sounds that span the gamut from sensitively-rendered classical/folk guitar to some of the most powerful rock to come from him in years. I found myself really feeling this album, not just hearing it, and consider this to be his most emotionally-charged release since Spectral Mornings.
Hackett's work doesn't reflect the times or follow musical trends, it is simply the product of his personal vision, and I can think of no other musician that has maintained that level of integrity for so long. This path hasn't endeared him to the masses, but I don't believe that was ever his goal. I can't imagine that any Steve Hackett fan would be anything but thrilled with this release.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world is better because Steve Hackett is in it., September 16, 2010
Mick Guitar (Superior, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
I just got this CD yesterday, and honestly have only had a chance to track through about 2/3 of it. But I can already tell -- this is another Steve masterpiece. My favorite track so far is "Emerald and Ash" -- one of the most elegant songs (including a great title) about love and betrayal that I've ever come across. And it's not just in the lyrics -- it's in the arrangement itself: it starts with a beautiful, romantic intro, which then leads to the fisrt few verses of wonderful, double-edged lyrics. Then comes a powerful, angular electric instrumental section that rips to the core of "you betrayed me, you b$%^&tch!!" -- and then, the coolest thing, is that it once again ends with the hopeful, romantic theme from the beginning -- an optimist at heart! (and don't get me started on the exquisitely played and recorded 12-string part by Ant!). I don't pretend to know the Kim/Steve story, but how any woman could have walked out on a genius of this calibre is beyond imagining. Hackett is one of the last surviving progressive innovators of a vanishing generation. His instrumental chops just keep getting better, as do his songwriting and arranging skills. I've loved his work from "Nursery Cryme" onwards, and marvel at the breadth of his solo works over the years. As far as I'm concerned, he has only one fault (unfortunately, it's a BIG one): he seems to be blissfully unaware that there's a continent called America, where musicians actually tour, on occasion...!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four and 1/2 stars, June 24, 2010
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
I won't say too much, but I am a Hackett completist. I have to buy anything he comes out with. The odd thing is; Steve rarely comes out with a thoroughly satisfying record. This one is about as close as it's going to get. The guitar playing is stellar throughout (even more so than usual). The writing is better than usual. I think Steve is in a very good part of his career right now. Maybe he's better off without Kim??

5.0 out of 5 stars Continued Excellence, November 7, 2010
Marcus R. Hartse (Southeastern Montana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
This will be short. Even though I've never been a big Genesis fan I've always like Steve Hackett's playing. I have quite a few of his albums and they always continue to entertain with the music and craftsmanship involved with that and also with the surprises all the albums contain. This is no exception. Another point I feel should be stressed is the fact that although Mr. Hackett is getting a bit long in the tooth his playing doesn't seem to have suffered any technical rifts. I've noticed with many players in the "rock" or "prog rock" genres their skills tend to leave them a bit as they age. The fingers just don't move with as much dexterity. I don't find this to be the case with OUT OF THE TUNNEL'S MOUTH. To my ears this is an interesting, fresh, stylistically eclectic album from a player still operating at the height of his powers. I feel very comfortable recommending it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars a magical album, April 15, 2011
D. Moses (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
Steve's most recent album is only eight tracks long. Two tracks are almost at the 9 minute mark, quite a change from his last couple of albums. Each of these tracks have a myriad of ideas, and often go from delicate classical guitar, to all out rock.

My favourite two tracks are the first one:- 'Fire on the moon' is a beautiful ballad verse with an almost lullaby arpeggiated pattern and Steve singing in the lower register of his voice. The chorus is almost ethereal, it is magical. The chords are excellent. Follows an excellent electric guitar solo, full of emotion, reprised at the end of the song, before the arpeggios return, with a slightly atonal ending, suggesting angst perhaps. This is one of those tracks that you cannot believe is over 6 minutes long. It is worth every second. Classic prog rock. (10/10)

My next favourite track is the third one. 'Emerald and Ash'. I cannot explain in words how exceptional this track is. Listen to the wonderful opening with alto sax and orchestral response. Wonderful verse melody, reminds me a bit of another of Hackett's brilliant songs 'The serpentine song'. The 'dressed in velvet...' passage is simply sublime. Beautiful acoustic guitars and a wonderful melody. Simply breathtakingly brilliant. This, as with the first three tracks, moves into a harder rock passage, a fantastic electric guitar solo with chunking bass, towards the end, before reprising the classical arrangement. (10/10)

'Nomads' begins in the classical/maybe folk guitar vein, before moving into a beautiful ballad, awash with multi tracked guitars. Very spanish sounding, flamenco style, with castanets in the background. I love the harmony vocals in the choruses. The song continues in this vein, until the last part, where the music picks up pace and then turns into a rock performance, with beautiful reverberated guitars. It seagues wonderfully back into the slow section at the very end. (9.5/10)

'Tubehead' is the fourth track. Lots of programming on this track, with grungy, heavy guitars to the fore. This is a hard rock instrumental. It reminds me a bit of 'Hercules Unchained', where the heavy, fast riff, would suddenly slow down for a few seconds. I am indifferent about this track. An electric guitar extravaganza, but not the most melodic of tracks. It has enough though to keep it interesting. (7/10)

'Sleepers' follows. Again, this follows a pattern of the first three tracks. The opening is reminiscent of Hackett's more classical works, with pleading classical guitar, backed by beautiful orchestration. This opening would have been a standout track on its own, but, as with all here, is a part of a larger jigsaw puzzle. This genius opening section ranks with his best work ever. Love the transitional music passage, around the 2:15 mark, before the vocal section of the song begins at 2:45. It is a gentle affair, with arpeggios, that builds and builds. Incidentally, there are some beautiful harmony vocals on this track. Then 5:00 in the rock in the track takes over. But even this is multi parted. You have more inventiveness in 5 seconds of this song, than a whole album by bands nowadays. Another exceptional track. (9.5/10)

'Ghost in the glass' is an interesting track, but I have no idea what it is about. Lovely classical guitar part at the start. This moves into a beautiful, majestic electric guitar solo, with lovely orchestral backing, and I love the fretless bass part. This instrumental reminds me a bit of the fade out with fretless bass on 'long goodbyes' by Camel. Another winner and a very emotional track. (8.5/10)

'Still Waters'. Ok, why is that every album has a track I really don't like. 'Mechanical bride' was the bummer on the album before. I don't like the verses, much too bluesy and tuneless for me. Drums are a bit 'boom boom', bit like the 1980's electronic drums. The chorus does nothing for me. In fact the whole track does nothing for me.
(4/10)

'Last train to Instanbul' is an interesting track, and so different from the lethargy and boredom of the last song. This is complex and thought provoking, with many different instruments being employed. I really like this kind of Eastern music. Not sure where its from, a bit Arabic? Another great melody with interesting backing. If I had one criticism of the song, I think it is dying for a higher singing voice to carry it, maybe a female voice or a higher tenor, rather than the baritone of Steve. Compared to the music, his voice seems a bit flat and lifeless. I guess it was too high an octave up. Still a minor quibble, really another good track. (8/10)

Highly recommended. It contains some of the best music Steve has ever recorded, period. Shame about the poor 'still waters', but I still love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... What a Surpise!!!, July 29, 2010
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
I'm a Genesis fan from way back in the day when Genesis first lost Hackett and then there were three. I devoured all Genesis' early LPs and easily migrated to Steve's earliest releases with Please Don't Touch being a personal favorite. I was an avid fan until Cured, then his sound seemed less progressive and more commercial. This is where he and I parted for almost 30 years.

Recently I decided to take a trip down memory lane to sonically travel back to my high school years, so I downloaded those early releases and have been greatly enjoying them all over again. I always had great respect for his classical playing. His influence inspired me to study classical guitar in my youth.

After downloading and reliving those early releases, I wondered what the heck he's been doing for the last three decades. I listened to a few samples from some of his releases in the '90s and then stumbled upon his most current release, Out of the Tunnel's Mouth. I took a chance, purchased and downloaded it, and then gave it a careful listen.

And was really, really amazed! His sound has matured so greatly, I'm just so shocked. Many artists hit their peak and either stagnate or degrade in time with their most influential works being earlier in their career. I assumed this would be true for Steve and wow, was I wrong!

The first difference I notice is in his guitar playing. His classical chops are more polished and his rock guitar playing has more of a modern, Vai-like influence I never expected to hear. This man is 60 years old? I'd never know it listening to him on this release. His songwriting is also far more matured. There are gritty pieces, much like are heard on some of his early works, but many of the pieces have a very mellow, relaxed, matured, and melodic foundation wrapped in a richly atmospheric patchwork of segues and interludes. His arrangements are more complex and carefully thought out and composed. He's developed so well, I never expected to hear what I'm listening to right now.

This development fascinates me! Now I want to backtrack through each release prior to this one. I'm curious to hear how he reached this level of maturation since those late-'70s classics I love so much.

Disk 2 is mostly a live-performed rehash of older material with one studio newbie thrown in for good measure. I do give him credit for such careful orchestral and group arrangements with some excellent acoustic guitar work. I'm not bothered by the vocals at all. In fact, I find them quite refreshing. Vocals have a Crimson-Wetton influence with Hackett donning a Frippian solo on the suprisingly impressive "A Tower Struck Down" from his flagship release, Voyage of the Acolyte.

I would absolutely recommend this CD to anyone interested in Hackett's solo work. It has both grit and bravado with a very matured and melodic sensibility. Most of all, it's polished inside and out!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 5 Favorite Steve Hackett albums..., July 12, 2010
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
Steve Hackett's musical style tends to straddle the boarders of various musical genres and themes. All of these influences are uniquely mixed together and the end result is usually something that combines an assortment that may include anything from progressive rock, pop, folk, classical, blues, to even a hint of world music on occasion. At it's core, while Out of the Tunnel's Mouth is clearly a straight-up rock album, it draws heavily on elements of classical guitar, along with a few doses of progressive rock, and an overall melodic feel that works incredibly well.

I have difficulty deciding whether the production itself or the players should take credit for this, but this is probably the first Hackett solo album where I felt the rhythm section comes across as powerfully on record as Hackett's guitar parts, making this album a really solid all-around recording. The bass on this record has a nice thick, chunky sound quality that you can really sink your teeth into backed by a rich, slightly louder, drum sound than I'm used to hearing on Steve's work. When being played, the acoustics of Out of the Tunnel's Mouth almost beg incessantly for 5.1 surround sound treatment as the project moves from song to song on my stereo (sadly, that's not an option at the moment). The arrangements in general just sound so good! Perhaps only comparable to To Watch The Storms, this is probably the most polished sounding studio record Steve has ever offered. Among the wide array of talent on this album are Nick Beggs (of Kajagoogoo fame) and Chris Squire (of the rock band Yes) on bass, Roger King on keyboards, Anthony Phillips (a co-founding former member of the rock band Genesis) on 12-string guitar, John Hackett on flute, and, of course, Steve Hackett on lead vocals and guitars. Between the quality of the material and the abilities of the musicians assembled here, Out of the Tunnel's Mouth is, without question, one of Steve Hackett's brightest moments as a solo artist. Anyone who enjoys Steve's work will relish in this true modern classic. If I was to introduce someone to Steve's music for the first time, this is very likely the album I would play for them.

Also worthy of note, this 2-CD special edition has a bonus disc complete with 6 rare tracks, including live recordings of a few Genesis classics like "Blood on the Rooftops" and some gems from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Its certainly hard to beat at this price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackett Does It Again!, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
Former Genesis guitarist---and recent Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame inductee!---Steve Hackett has done it again. He's delivered another brilliant, solid album of atmospheric rock, "Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth". These are absolutely brilliant songs, including the dramatic rock of "Fire On The Moon", the appropriately-titled "Emerald And Ash", which starts off very tranquil before Steve revs up the rock, the lovely "Ghost In The Glass", the bluesy "Still Waters", and the world music-flavored "Last Train To Istanbul". Guest appearances include Steve's predecessor in Genesis, Anthony Phillips (who contributes lovely 12-string to a couple of tracks), and Yes bassist Chris Squire. This edition of "Out Of The Tunnels Mouth" also comes with an excellent bonus disc of live material, featuring mostly Genesis classics like "Firth Of Fifth" and "Blood On The Rooftops", as well as the sinister Hackett solo fave, "A Tower Struck Down". And nestled alongside the live stuff is a bonus studio track, the awesome "Every Star In The Night Sky"! Steve & his band play the live material with outstanding precision, and, although drummer/singer Gary O'Toole's deep singing voice won't make you forget Phil Collins OR Peter Gabriel, he sings the material well enough (and he bashes the drumkit pretty good, too!). Chalk up "Out Of The Tunnels Mouth" as another triumph for Steve Hackett. Rock on, Steve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this Steve's magnum opus?, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (Audio CD)
I just can't stop listening to this album. In my view, 'To Watch the Storms' is a nearly perfect musical ride - this one is even wilder, yet more beautiful. Set this CD in your player and strap yourself into your listening chair. Like your favorite roller coaster, the journey is over far too soon. Heck, if Steve could have produced enough material like this to fill a 10 CD set, I'd still want more. If you're familiar with Hackett's styles, well, they're all expertly represented in this masterpiece (and you probably have no need of reading this review). The juxtapositions and executions of those styles in this material are nothing short of brilliant. So, for now, I declare this to be Steve's Magnum Opus - may there be many more to come!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Out of the Tunnel's Mouth
Out of the Tunnel's Mouth by Steve Hackett (Audio CD - 2010)
Click for more info
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.