Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

The video "Out of Ireland" narrated by Kelly McGills presents a very informative and an excellent historical overview of the experiences of the Irish in both the United States and Ireland. The story makes an extensive overview of the good and bad events surrounding the lives of Irish Americans beginning with the Battle of the Boyne and culmunating with an examination of Irish men and women who braved the trip over on not very sea worthy ships to start a new life in America. Every aspect is examined in detail with the use of top Irish and Irish American historians, some of which are unfortunately no longer with us. This tape would be an excellent addition to any library and would be an excellent learning tool to use in American, World, or Cultural Geography course.
on December 15, 2009
I purchased this dvd after reading the book to get a further understanding of it all. I had a personal interest and chose the topic "irish emigration" for a research paper for a college sociology class. I must say it is put together very well and crammed with a chock full of information. The letters sent home from immigrants expressing their own personal experiences in America give it a nice, personal touch. I enjoyed this dvd very much. Anyone who has an interest or research need should not hesitate to purchase this item, it will be very useful. I read one review about a teacher who was disappointed her 5,6,7 year old students found it boring. I must say this is a mature material. I dont know of any small children who would find the history of Ireland or emigration interesting so i say the fault was on her. A+ rating.
on September 2, 1999
The journey of Irish men and women forced from their own homeland to avoid starvation, religious discrimination and slavery by the British. Even when arriving to America they were treated as second class citizens and forced to fight in Lincolns' dirty little war. It's the story how an uneducated group of people who were once slaves, helped build a great nation, ran major cities built great canals and populated the country side. It's a must for any Irishman Or woman to pass down to their children to keep the history of the green alive. Also pick up the soundtrack to this DVD it's great too.
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
It is a moving account of the waves of Irish emmigration since the 1700s until present time and the impact the Irish have had especially in America. I found it a fascinating overview of the history of the diaspora.
on November 16, 2012
After traveling to Ireland this fall with my two daughters and three grandchildren to see the land of my ancestors, I wanted to learn more about the reasons for leaving this beautiful land. This is a very well done documentary regarding the subject. They have taken actual letters of emigrants who left for various reasons. Then they followed up with what happened to each. I was very impressed with this DVD. I recommend it to all who are interested in the subject. There is a companion book available also of the same title. I purchased it and would also recommend it.
on January 22, 2013
I learned a lot about the native country of my ancestors which I was not aware of. It is very informative and interesting.
on October 30, 2015
Very good. It's largely standard PBS documentary style. But the careful attention to individuals on both sides of the migration (in Ireland and in US) gives this a good tone. It's a couple of decades old now, but holds up well. In fact, it's rather better than more recent and argumentative documentaries.
on September 10, 2012
Was very informative. Inclusion of authentic family photos and correspondance made it more interesting. When the actors read the letters it had the feel of one sitting listening to the story from the writer themselves. Would highly recommend this DVD.
on March 23, 2013
A quarter of Ireland's population was lost; one million died and one million emigrated during the great famine of the mid 1840's.
This was an informative, moving and compelling documentary. The voices by Irish American actors, Aiden Quinn and Liam Neeson.
Essential viewing for those wanting to know the truth about how devastating the famine was to the Irish and how so many died on the voyage to America.
on May 5, 2011
Very informative. Filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge of Ireland's history. I plan to share it with my Irish relatives.