4.0 out of 5 stars Like the jacket.
Published on August 2, 2011 by Jonathan T. Cowgill

1.0 out of 5 stars foray jacket
i get one on chmass.it was perfect jacket to me.after 1 hour of skiing in rain this jacket get completely wet inside.gore-tex?i dont think so...outdoor research disappointment.have to go back.thank u amazon
Published 6 months ago by zuzana

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the jacket., August 2, 2011
I always felt GTX products are over priced, especially GTX Pro gear. As you've probably read, this is a GTX Paclite jacket, and if I understand it correctly the only real difference between Paclite and Pro (besides $200) is the breathability. I've jad this jacket for a few months now and have worn it in the pouring rain as well as on an extended bicycle tours. As for the rain, it behaved as expected. That is the water beaded up and rolled off the jacket and I was kept pretty dry. On bike tour it also behaved as expected. The pit vents kept me from over heating and allowed most of the sweat to evaporate out. The only reason I give it four stars in that it is so expensive. Overall I would recommend this and other Paclite gear to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight - and on from there, March 20, 2012
(Some Feb-2013 edits)

I'm an avid backpacker and have owned many raincoats over the years. Wasn't really looking to replace my Marmot Precip, but found a North Face raincoat on clearance while browsing at a well known camping store. Took it home, read the reviews and decided it wasn't what I needed. (North face is mostly for show anyway) Now deciding I needed a new raincoat I started reading reviews and decided to see what was on Amazon. I was shocked on this one, the prices ranged from $100 for the Olive one I bought to $200 for Red, although the seller was not Amazon for the red one. I just checked, the Olive one is now $92 and change in XL. But on to the coat.

This is easily the best raincoat I have ever owned. 15oz but still feels substantial. Paclite Gortex, side zip from bottom to pits, high pockets above the belt line, front chest pocket, inner zippered pocket that the jacket folds into (edit - pocket doesn't really hold the jacket). The hood can be rolled down and looped up. It has an adjustable built in visor. Looks and feels great on, fit is nice, not a balloon like some jackets. The Olive looks way better on than it does in the picture. My teenage daughter likes it and she hates almost everything I wear ;')

I have not yet been able to try it in a good storm, but I'm looking forward to it.(it has now served me well in local rainstorms and freezing rain) I will welcome in my pack in my next trip. Will update as I use it. (continue to think the value for $$ is high)

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy - Great product, March 12, 2013
I purchased these to be able to show up to work in my suit and tie, DRY. It works wonderfully.

As well, I can wear them when out in the mountains. The way this designed, I can access my cargo pockets with a minimum of exposure to the elements.

Great buy with the matching named bottom, and some gaiters. Then you're set.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT! But it does run a tad large. Order a size down if you want a slimmer fit!, January 28, 2013
Great waterproof all around shell. I will start off by telling you what i liked then disliked.
liked-
-Very waterproof with the goretex you have nothing to worry about.
-Very nice zippers used all YKK and seam sealed.
-The reason i bought the jacket was for the side zippers that go all the way up to your pits for venting.
-does great as a layering piece.
-High quality build. You can tell just by looking at the construction that a lot of work went into this thing.
-High range of movement. It does run large but it gives you a lot of movement while backpacking and layering.

Don't Like-
-Its kinda noisy moving around in this thing. I would say the paclite goretex is the reason for this.
-It runs large. The arms are larger than a normal jacket and the torso as well. Order a size down for a slimmer fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice jacket, July 22, 2012
an innovative design--the only jacket I have seen with the side zips extending all the way down I have not had the opportunity to wear it with a backpack, yet. For regular rainstorms the DWR works well, has kept me dry, some ordinary clamminess as would be expected. The green color is vibrant and beautiful

4.0 out of 5 stars great raincoat, May 15, 2012
A great price for Gore-Tex. PacLite has Gore-Tex bonded to the lining and outershell so there is effectively one layer. This makes this jacket very lightweight. The interior is black because of the protective material bonded to the Gore-Tex. The pit-zips go all the way to the waist so you can really get some ventilation. I'm 6 feet and the arms are long, but the sleeves have hook and loop (Velcro) closures which work. All the zippers work great, with no snagging. The storm flap over the front zipper has no attachment points except at the top and bottom. It seems designed to stay closed on its own, but I'm not sure how this will hold up once the jacket is folded and stuffed into its own pocket many times. Comes with OR's guarantee for life, and Gore's guarantee too. The olive color is a little greener than the pictures--still nice. Only 4 stars because I think the exterior layer could have been made a tad tougher to protect the Gore-Tex (but again, the whole jacket is light weight to the extreme.) I think it is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Shower, January 1, 2013
A replacement for my Montane, hyvent after it started flaking after 1.5 year. First used the jacket in Pulau Ubin, Singapore. Works like how goretex should, keeping me dry. The side zippers kept me cool under the tropical rain. Perhaps the best rain jacket for the humid tropics. Otherwise poncho and an umbrella will the next best thing to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Get into this!, May 27, 2014
Highly Recommend! Great Quality! I can also wear a light hoodie under it to layer. Although, in the summer, you might want to purchase something similar that it a bit lighter! I sweat in humid weather, so it defeats the purpose of a water proof jacket! Hahaha

5.0 out of 5 stars great Gore-tex shell, February 14, 2014
Normally, I wouldn't pay a premium for Gore-tex, but I bought this on sale and am very glad I did. Very light, great fit, great rain protection and breathability.

1.0 out of 5 stars foray jacket, January 2, 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Outdoor Research Men's Foray Jacket (Pewter, Large)
Out of stock