Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Outdoor Research Men's PL 100 Gloves, Black, Medium
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 8, 2011
I purchased these gloves thinking they would be a good way to combat the relatively mild winters we experience here in central New Mexico. It's true, they are better than nothing, but they offer no protection against water and very little protection against wind, and are only meagerly insulated; I would feel my hands getting extremely cold after only a few minutes in 35-45 degree weather. I would also call durability into question because the fabric they are made from has started pilling after only a few weeks of use and the strap holding the retaining clasp on one of the gloves snapped right off while pulling them out of my back pocket. Again, these gloves are certainly better than nothing, but are near useless if used around water, snow, or ice, and are certainly not useful for use around freezing temperatures. These are almost certainly more suitable for use a a liner for a heavier glove or mitten than as a standalone unit and I would recommend using it as such.
44 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2013
Not really sure what some people are complaining about regarding this glove. It's a glove that can be used as either a liner glove under heavier gloves or mitts OR it can be used on its own in milder tempatures or for short spells in some colder temps. That's it and that's all. If you want a cold weather glove for 20 degree weather then you'll need to buy a cold weather glove. If you want a glove that's windpoof or waterproof then you need to buy a glove that's windproof or waterproof. This glove is fine for it's intended purpose. I have hands sized just under a large, and paying attention to other reviewers, the medium in these fit just fine. The fingers are longer than expected. And they're not as form fitting as some "stretch" gloves/liners out there, but they're well made. The outer fabric is sort of soft, but not soft like a brushed fleece. And i think i saw someone mention the outer fabric started piling right away - no, i don't think so b/c this type of fabric doesn't seem like it would pill much, unless you put it in the dryer with some socks or something. I think the price might throw some people off thinking they would be getting a more substantial glove for the price...you don't. What you get is a well made glove liner. And there's really no second part to the story. It does what it's suppposed to do.
on October 22, 2011
Outdoor Research knows how to make serious gear for those who love to spend time out in the wilderness. Having owned a slew of OR products, I am a fan. I've always been able to rely on OR products.
I added a pair of the PL100 gloves to extend my winter gloves/mitts system, using different weight gloves in combination with shells for varying conditions.
The PL100 gloves are what I would consider to be a light to mid weight glove, suitable for use inside a shell glove or mitt. I found the fit to be perfect for me in the size I normally wear with other brands. The fit is snug, but not overly tight.
The material and construction of these gloves are not meant for hard work. There are no heavy duty panels on the palms or fingers. I will not be using these for snow shoveling, for example. They do have small sticky patches on the thumb and forefinger for grip when handling items.
As a high quality insulation glove to use as part of my full winter system, driving in the winter or just to throw on for an evening walk in the snow, these are perfect.
on February 13, 2013
They are good, not that great. They will be better as a liner for my other gloves if it gets really cold.
on January 20, 2016
These cloves keep hands dry but are not very warm by themselves. A rubber gripper on the index finger and thumb. Otherwise they are slippery on a pole handle.
These are glove liners and not true gloves but can be warn on cool days to stay dry and some what warm.
on November 28, 2013
My experience with this product has been very good.

I live in remote Alaska, and obviously it can get cold here. I use these gloves as liners for arctic mittens, and/or gloves and they perform perfectly. The fabric is perfect as a base layer and wicking.

And, the gloves are form fitting enough that I can take my hands from my outer gloves to use tools, or perform other tasks without having to be bare handed in the middle of sub zero temps. I'm able to hold a tool, nail, screw, manipulate fine tactile work without excess fabric getting in the way. This is very important to me since I have to work in extreme cold temps where bare skin can freeze instantly on a metal object, or in just out in the open.

I highly suggest these gloves. They're another fine product from Outdoor Research.
on November 30, 2014
Love them. This is about the 5th pair I have bought. The latest version has added plastic grips on the thumb and index finger, which is a nice addition, although I have noticed some peel already after about a month of use.
on January 23, 2013
I used these gloves as an inner liner for ski gloves in about 10F weather, and they did very well. The fit ran true to size, and the thicker fleece (compared to PL50) wasn't too bulky under my ski gloves. I spilt water on a glove during lunch and was afraid it would soak through to my hand under the ski glove but the material proved remarkably impermeable.

The rubber pads on the index finger and thumb provided good grip, and worked for simple touch operations on my smartphone. Swiping, however, proved to be a problem since the rubber would get stuck on the glass. The color is a bit lighter than the picture indicates, but these are definitely stylish and understated enough for use as regular gloves for 40-50 degree weather.
on January 9, 2014
These fit great. I usually opt for small gloves, but these seem to be a tiny bit longer than most that I've owned on the finger portion. Still, the fleecy inside makes these glove really warm and the grips on the thumb and index fingers are great. However, not a great glove if you plan on texting (unless you remove them).
on January 6, 2014
These gloves are very comfortable. I bought them for one main purpose -- to use them while driving as the car heats up. Driving with ice cold hands and an ice cold steering wheel are no fun. These gloves keep my hands warm while the car heats up and still allow me to drive comfortably (bulky gloves make steering difficult). These are also great for walking around outside under certain conditions.

One reviewer mentioned cold hands at 35-45 degree temps. In Chicago, I wouldn't even consider gloves at 45 degree temps for short periods of time. These are definitely sufficient at 45 degrees and will serve you well at 35 degrees as long as you are not out for an hour or more or doing something that gets your hands wet/covered in snow -- then again, that's not the purpose of these gloves. Even below freezing, if you are just going to be walking around for 15 minutes or so, these gloves work well. These gloves aren't meant for prolonged time below freezing or for intense activity in the cold, and I haven't used them for these purposes.

After about a year, I also haven't had any of the problems others have mentioned -- peeling fingertips, split seams, etc.

All in all, great gloves, they have kept my hands warm when I needed them. I would especially recommend for driving while it is cold out.