5.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor Research MAXIMUS jacket, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Outdoor Research Men's Maximus Jacket (Apparel)
For a 3 Layer GORE-TEX jacket this one is lighter than most. I expected it to be ever so slightly heavier, and was happy to find it wasn't. I would absolutly use this jacket for thru hiking. In my opinion this jacket is just barley light enough to carry an entire thru hike. Which is to say I wouldn't send it home during summer. I'd use it for summer rain gear even on a thru hike. The weight difference between this jacket, and the lighter type Marmot "Precip" jackets is small enough in ounce's that carrying this jacket thru all four seasons in the mountains is something I would do.( the opinion of a semi ultra lite packer).
That being said, Winter! This jacket shines in winter. Hip pockets in a jacket never did much for me i the way of exhausting heat and moisture. Pit zips worked much better, and both used together for me worked pretty well. This jacket has "Torso Flo", which basically mean the pit zips unzip themselves all the way down to the hem (Check the video on OR's store). This unzipping basically flaps the jacket torso wide open to exhaust heat and moisture, which in turn keeps you from getting to wet from sweat, and/or to hot from layering. Does it work? It really does, yes. With the lower torso opened up, even for just for a little while, a lot of unwanted heat can escape, and a lot of moisture can evaporate. If you are in rain, and you can't exhaust enough & moisture from this jacket to be somewhat dry then you should just put on a rainhat and hike with a tee shirt. Outside rainwater will not penetrate this jacket, that is not how you would be wet in this jacket. Overheating and sweating is how you get wet in a jacket like this. If you use the tools this jacket comes with as an advantage, you should stay dry. Again, if you are still wet, then it is to warm of rain showers to wearing a jacket, any jacket.
This jacket is built extremely well, and is as tough as any pro shell out there, especially considering weight. It has 5 pockets, two of which are inside at chest hight (small). The arm cuffs are nice and long, and should cover part of your palm when relaxed with arms down if fit properly. The jacket is a bit crinkly new, but softens up a little. It's a stout piece, and whether or not you've sized up a pro shell or not you will most likely be able to tell right away that this shell means business. Kudos to OR for doing their homework. However it does come at a price. If you plan to wear it out then this jacket is for you, and good luck. If your a weekend hiker budgeting a jacket I don't suggest this jacket. Save your money and go 2 layer, or "Precip" style. You winter hikers, and long distance hikers who want a solid shell, this one is a good one.
I'm giving it 5 stars because they really couldn't have done anything to better this jacket from my observation. I've hiked over 18,000 long distance miles on the AT, which means Iv'e worn a lot of jackets. This one wins, hands down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice jacket, little brittle, July 17, 2013
Great purpose jacket, meaning that you will not get wet wearing it, it is also very lightweight.
However after years of owning goretex, hypervent, softshell etc i believe that this is a little brittle material. It seems strange but when i wear a material like this i wonder why i don't just wear a tarpaulen sheet as it would d the same and almost feels the same :)
The thing that separates this jacket from a tarp is that it looks great with almost any fashion. I've worn it with smart, casual, sports etc and it looks great with all.

Pockets are very spacious and zippers are great, with no leakage (tested on the west coast of Scotland).

5.0 out of 5 stars lighter than I expected, June 1, 2013
Use the latest GTX Pro that makes the shell thin. Although it is not lighter than my eVent shell, it already exceeds my expectation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Strange Fit, April 27, 2013
Prior to purchasing, I read about the tight fit around the lats. At 6'3", 200 and an athletic build I went with the XL to be safe. The length is good but it is a little tight around the lats if I wear more than a base layer. Overall I am stoked on the quality of this hardshell and have been using it when ski touring. Now that there is less snow, there has been more bush wacking but the fabric is very durable. This summer/fall I plan to be using this jacket for some wet coast backpacking adventures into some more isolated surf breaks!

5.0 out of 5 stars great jacket, April 26, 2013
this jacket meets all my expectations, it is 100% waterproof.
The size L fit as expected so i'm very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy customer, April 15, 2012
The Jacket is perfect in every way. Very happy with the fit and durability of the material and construction. Zips and stiching are very good

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty good so far, December 15, 2012
John (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I've owned this jacket 9-10 months now.. I've used it ~ 40 days. the most was on a 2.5 week trip to China in Oct/Nov.
it is a good travel jacket because it is light, it is waterproof. I never felt hot or clammy. (walked the great wall in it.)
hood is a little large and had to fuss with it to get the right fit so that vision wasn't affected, nor so loose that the hood blew off). (easiest thing was to wear a small waterproof cap/visor underneath the hood). for cold, definitely need to layer. could use a couple more small pockets. otherwise the jacket met expectations.

Outdoor Research Men's Maximus Jacket