5.0 out of 5 stars Help with sizing.
Published 12 months ago by Stan

3.0 out of 5 stars Sun gets in through mesh
The first time I wore this all day I ended up with a band of sunburn around my head under the mesh part of the hat! I would assume that since the hat is made to block the sun this would not happen. Disappointed.
Published 14 months ago by Patrick C McClanahan

5.0 out of 5 stars Help with sizing., July 15, 2013
This review is from: Outdoor Research Men's Transit Sun Hat (Apparel)
This is a great hat. I'm planning a trip to the rainforest, and I needed a rain / sun hat. I was uncertain about the correct size. I measured my head with a tape at 23". I ordered the large size Transit Hat (color "Cairn"). It was a near perfect fit. I pulled the built in sizing cord about 1/4", and that made it just right. I imagine the large would be good up to 23 1/4"; after that, it would get tight.
I'm a gear- head, and I appreciate good materials. The hat seems well-built, crushable for packing, and made with good materials. The field testing will have to wait for my trip, but confidence is high. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Men's Rockn' Transit Sun Hat... this thing rocks!!!, July 1, 2012
Found this brand "Outdoor Research" online and found out about the quality products that they sell. I went to Amazon.com of course and found it at an even better price and it was in stock. This hat rocks!!!! I use if for work where i do spend quite a bit of time in the direct sun and this hat really delivers. Great looks, ultra-light weight, great ventilation and a piece of equipment that i never leave hope without. Thumbs up for this Outdoor Research Transit sun hat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sun gets in through mesh, May 28, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hat, although a little pricey, May 7, 2013
Etienne (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
I used to use Outdoor Research products for backwoods camping and hiking, mostly in winter finding it to be a great brand. In particular, their gators were very useful in snowy conditions. That was 20 years ago and now I am a lazy soccer/lacrosse parent, so I needed a hat to protect my graying head from sun exposure. So far it has been fine for the few times used, offering a good amount of ventilation and sun protection. Embarrassing for the children, but isn't that what parents are for, beside a source of income and labor? A bit more floppy than I expected, but otherwise appears to be up to Outdoor Research's old standards. Size is spot on for my enormous noggin, and the elastic adjuster works fine. The semi-annoying strap can be removed or folded up, goober style. Minor quibble for not being US made. For the price I would expect it to be made here, but it is what it is. Since it is my review I will deduct a star for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars looks good and feels cool, June 28, 2012
I've worn boonie style hats before and like this much better. The mesh allows your head to breath and the brim is a good size. Drawstring seems just fine. I am fair skinned and would burst into flames in direct sun so I wear this mainly for kayaking and extended period outside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 19, 2012
As soon as I pulled this hat out of the box I saw that it looked cool and that it was made with high quality materials and sewn well. Couldn't wait to go on vacation to wear it, because at the time I felt that I would look weird wearing it around town in autumn.
This sun hat finally saw use in sunny Hawaii... Daily. Wore it while lounging at the pool, wore it while walking to FoodLand and while carrying groceries back to the rental apt. It sat on my head well- slightly snug but loose enough to not notice that it was there. And since I had a crew-cut at the time, I was able to feel the wind passing thru the mesh top to cool my scalp.
Next challenge- Walking the trail up to Diamond Head crater. It was a windy day but I read the warnings head of time so I had the drawcord snugly against under my chin and the hat was never blown off my head during my 2 hour stay on up in the heights.
Finally at the beach, the hat did get wet but it also dried out pretty quick as I continued to wear it.

Final Grade: A++
Pros: Well made, light weight, mesh all around the top, drawstring, wide brim, and excellent stone color.
Cons: -none-

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, June 14, 2012
I am in Afghanistan and just received this awesome hat. I was unaware that the size can be adjusted, but it is an amazing feature - it should be featured more prominently in its description. I also really like the sand plaid.

The screening makes it a very cool option during very hot days. I have had several positive remarks from both Afghanis and Americans, including several requests for trades.

It was an Amazon.com purchase, sent to an overseas address and arrived in 11 days.

I highly recommend this Outdoor Research Men's Transit Sun Hat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Large, comfortable & durfy, November 26, 2013
instantkarma (Watchung, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This hat is larger than I expected with a brim of at least 2.5" (not sure if I saw that in the specs). This means you get plenty of sun protection. The mesh on the sides are excellent at providing ventilation. I found the look of the hat a tad on the old-fashioned side since the brim doesn't curl / isn't moldable (hence the 1-star deduction). But I still wear it when I'm sitting in the sun at the beach or a baseball game - just for the SPF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent men's sun hat, April 17, 2014
I ordered this for my husband without his knowledge. He's a baseball cap kind of guy. We were headed to Mexico and his fair Irish skin and balding head were sure to burn. A baseball cap wouldn't protect his neck and ears. He usually fights me on these kind of purchases, but surprisingly, he loved it. This kept him well-covered from the sun, yet well-ventilated due to the mesh inserts. It has a soft band under the brim that keeps sweat and sunscreen from running down your face and keeps it comfortably snug to the head. The chin strap cord is a must on a windy beach or boat. He has an enormous grape, and the extra-large fit him well. It's hard to find a hat that fits him. I got it in the "Cairn" color which is a neutral, khaki color. It matched everything, and looked manly and understated. Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect protection for my Boater Father-in-Law, December 31, 2013
Mom of 2 girls "mangodog1" (Deptford, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This is the perfect gift for my father in law - who is in his 80's and is a boater.
He works in the sun all summer long on his trawler - typically without a hat! He says it makes him too hot.
Well, this hat will be perfect - here's why:
It is lightweight, well-ventilated with mesh on the sides of hat, and SPF protecting!
The brim is wide enough to provide sun protection for his entire head - and it has a nice adjustable strap to keep it on in the wind.
Very nice product - will definitely purchase this brand again.

Outdoor Research Men's Transit Sun Hat