Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 15, 2013
This is a great hat. I'm planning a trip to the rainforest, and I needed a rain / sun hat. I was uncertain about the correct size. I measured my head with a tape at 23". I ordered the large size Transit Hat (color "Cairn"). It was a near perfect fit. I pulled the built in sizing cord about 1/4", and that made it just right. I imagine the large would be good up to 23 1/4"; after that, it would get tight.
I'm a gear- head, and I appreciate good materials. The hat seems well-built, crushable for packing, and made with good materials. The field testing will have to wait for my trip, but confidence is high. . .
on May 27, 2014
I hesitated to spend the extra bucks to get this hat. I figured I would just get some cheapo thing at first. But why spend half the price on something that will be crap when you can spend a little more and get a nice product. Yeah, this hat was above my meager budget, but I don't regret buying it.

Pros: Very light. The vents keep your head a little cooler than most hats (the reason I usually hate hats). The size was just right and the pull spring on the back of the hat really helps adjust it perfectly. I tuck the chin strap up in to the hat and it doesn't seem to bother me up there. The thing seems really well-made. I saw no flaws in the material or stitching.

Cons: Can't really think of any to be honest. I can't speak to the durability as I've only been using it a short while.

In the unbearable heat of the Indiana sun, it keeps my next from bursting into flames. You buy a hat to do one job and this one does it as well as could be expected. I knocked off one star purely for the price. At this price point, I would expect something made in the USA, not China.

EDIT: Just got back from a month-long archaeology expedition in the blazing sun. This hat probably saved my nose and ears, which are always the first things to burn. It held up to field work in the sun, mud work coring lakes, torrential rain, etc. Found no real flaws or weaknesses. The vents make it slightly more breathable than something like a felt hat, which helped out. Plus, I could soak it in water and put it back on for a little relief from the heat. I still recommend this hat very highly.
on June 28, 2012
I've worn boonie style hats before and like this much better. The mesh allows your head to breath and the brim is a good size. Drawstring seems just fine. I am fair skinned and would burst into flames in direct sun so I wear this mainly for kayaking and extended period outside.
on May 7, 2013
I used to use Outdoor Research products for backwoods camping and hiking, mostly in winter finding it to be a great brand. In particular, their gators were very useful in snowy conditions. That was 20 years ago and now I am a lazy soccer/lacrosse parent, so I needed a hat to protect my graying head from sun exposure. So far it has been fine for the few times used, offering a good amount of ventilation and sun protection. Embarrassing for the children, but isn't that what parents are for, beside a source of income and labor? A bit more floppy than I expected, but otherwise appears to be up to Outdoor Research's old standards. Size is spot on for my enormous noggin, and the elastic adjuster works fine. The semi-annoying strap can be removed or folded up, goober style. Minor quibble for not being US made. For the price I would expect it to be made here, but it is what it is. Since it is my review I will deduct a star for this.
on May 28, 2013
The first time I wore this all day I ended up with a band of sunburn around my head under the mesh part of the hat! I would assume that since the hat is made to block the sun this would not happen. Disappointed.
1515 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
As soon as I pulled this hat out of the box I saw that it looked cool and that it was made with high quality materials and sewn well. Couldn't wait to go on vacation to wear it, because at the time I felt that I would look weird wearing it around town in autumn.
This sun hat finally saw use in sunny Hawaii... Daily. Wore it while lounging at the pool, wore it while walking to FoodLand and while carrying groceries back to the rental apt. It sat on my head well- slightly snug but loose enough to not notice that it was there. And since I had a crew-cut at the time, I was able to feel the wind passing thru the mesh top to cool my scalp.
Next challenge- Walking the trail up to Diamond Head crater. It was a windy day but I read the warnings head of time so I had the drawcord snugly against under my chin and the hat was never blown off my head during my 2 hour stay on up in the heights.
Finally at the beach, the hat did get wet but it also dried out pretty quick as I continued to wear it.

Final Grade: A++
Pros: Well made, light weight, mesh all around the top, drawstring, wide brim, and excellent stone color.
Cons: -none-
on August 15, 2015
We bought three of these for our trip to Disney World. We're from New England and these hats afforded us great sun protection at Disney in late May. Having the large string on the hat was convenient as we could secure our hats to our bodies when we were on the big rides. It felt cooler to have these on than it did to have the off in the sun, great wicking and ventilation.
on August 25, 2015
I was recently "persuaded" to go hiking with some friends. As a person who prides himself in pretending to be in better shape than he is, I decided I may need some extra help as to stay cool and hopefully save some embarrassment. I decided to look for a boonie style hat as it seems will keeps a lot of sun off your head and I like the way it looks (although it seems most women kind of hate it, my gf included). This hat has 1 goal: to keep you cool and it does a great job.
- lightweight
- mesh for air flow
- cotton so you can soak it in water
- adequate brim to keep sun out
My only concern before buying this was it looked tall, like a bucket hat but after buying it I found that not to be the case.

If you're looking for something waterproof, look elsewhere. If you have a shaved head the mesh will probably not protect well against sunburn. Other than that I would highly recommend this hat. OR always makes quality stuff and this one is no exception. Also, buy it here on Amazon. At the stores, the hat for some reason is over 2x the price.
on August 1, 2015
Proved to be a great hat during summer hikes in Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton. Recovers well from being packed, crushed, and folded in a suitcase. Liked it much better than the Columbia Bora Bora Booney II.
on April 22, 2015
- Light weight
- Hat can easily be crushed in luggage, then put to use while still looking and working fine.
- Some adjustment to the size possible by pulling a short elastic cord. I did not see it in the product photos... it is located at the back of the hat above the rear of the brim. It does not provide quite as much size adjustment as I expected, but it is better than having no adjustment at all.
- Brim can be shaped somewhat, such as by bringing the front down to protect the eyes when walking into the sun.
- Chin strap can be removed easily (but you might need to find a place to stow it).
- About 75% of the circumference of the material around the head is a mesh material. This does a GREAT job of keeping the head cool in hot temperatures, but it also allows more sun to strike the head than I expected. From the photos, I thought there would be a cloth backing behind it, allowing some air movement but little sun... this is NOT the case. The hat will protect the top of the head, the forehead, the top of the ears, and the neck from overhead sun well - but is not likely to reduce the amount sunlight passing through the mesh by much - thus my four star rating.
- Great value for the money, particularly if you wish a brim more than you need a head covering. Great for folks with a full head of hair, but potentially a bit risky for the rest of us... the cool breezes blowing through the hat felt great on the top of the head in hot weather though!