on July 15, 2013
This is a great hat. I'm planning a trip to the rainforest, and I needed a rain / sun hat. I was uncertain about the correct size. I measured my head with a tape at 23". I ordered the large size Transit Hat (color "Cairn"). It was a near perfect fit. I pulled the built in sizing cord about 1/4", and that made it just right. I imagine the large would be good up to 23 1/4"; after that, it would get tight.
I'm a gear- head, and I appreciate good materials. The hat seems well-built, crushable for packing, and made with good materials. The field testing will have to wait for my trip, but confidence is high. . .
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2012
I've worn boonie style hats before and like this much better. The mesh allows your head to breath and the brim is a good size. Drawstring seems just fine. I am fair skinned and would burst into flames in direct sun so I wear this mainly for kayaking and extended period outside.
on May 28, 2013
The first time I wore this all day I ended up with a band of sunburn around my head under the mesh part of the hat! I would assume that since the hat is made to block the sun this would not happen. Disappointed.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2012
As soon as I pulled this hat out of the box I saw that it looked cool and that it was made with high quality materials and sewn well. Couldn't wait to go on vacation to wear it, because at the time I felt that I would look weird wearing it around town in autumn.
This sun hat finally saw use in sunny Hawaii... Daily. Wore it while lounging at the pool, wore it while walking to FoodLand and while carrying groceries back to the rental apt. It sat on my head well- slightly snug but loose enough to not notice that it was there. And since I had a crew-cut at the time, I was able to feel the wind passing thru the mesh top to cool my scalp.
Next challenge- Walking the trail up to Diamond Head crater. It was a windy day but I read the warnings head of time so I had the drawcord snugly against under my chin and the hat was never blown off my head during my 2 hour stay on up in the heights.
Finally at the beach, the hat did get wet but it also dried out pretty quick as I continued to wear it.

Final Grade: A++
Pros: Well made, light weight, mesh all around the top, drawstring, wide brim, and excellent stone color.
Cons: -none-
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2013
I used to use Outdoor Research products for backwoods camping and hiking, mostly in winter finding it to be a great brand. In particular, their gators were very useful in snowy conditions. That was 20 years ago and now I am a lazy soccer/lacrosse parent, so I needed a hat to protect my graying head from sun exposure. So far it has been fine for the few times used, offering a good amount of ventilation and sun protection. Embarrassing for the children, but isn't that what parents are for, beside a source of income and labor? A bit more floppy than I expected, but otherwise appears to be up to Outdoor Research's old standards. Size is spot on for my enormous noggin, and the elastic adjuster works fine. The semi-annoying strap can be removed or folded up, goober style. Minor quibble for not being US made. For the price I would expect it to be made here, but it is what it is. Since it is my review I will deduct a star for this.
on May 27, 2014
I hesitated to spend the extra bucks to get this hat. I figured I would just get some cheapo thing at first. But why spend half the price on something that will be crap when you can spend a little more and get a nice product. Yeah, this hat was above my meager budget, but I don't regret buying it.

Pros: Very light. The vents keep your head a little cooler than most hats (the reason I usually hate hats). The size was just right and the pull spring on the back of the hat really helps adjust it perfectly. I tuck the chin strap up in to the hat and it doesn't seem to bother me up there. The thing seems really well-made. I saw no flaws in the material or stitching.

Cons: Can't really think of any to be honest. I can't speak to the durability as I've only been using it a short while.

In the unbearable heat of the Indiana sun, it keeps my next from bursting into flames. You buy a hat to do one job and this one does it as well as could be expected. I knocked off one star purely for the price. At this price point, I would expect something made in the USA, not China.

EDIT: Just got back from a month-long archaeology expedition in the blazing sun. This hat probably saved my nose and ears, which are always the first things to burn. It held up to field work in the sun, mud work coring lakes, torrential rain, etc. Found no real flaws or weaknesses. The vents make it slightly more breathable than something like a felt hat, which helped out. Plus, I could soak it in water and put it back on for a little relief from the heat. I still recommend this hat very highly.
on July 1, 2012
Found this brand "Outdoor Research" online and found out about the quality products that they sell. I went to Amazon.com of course and found it at an even better price and it was in stock. This hat rocks!!!! I use if for work where i do spend quite a bit of time in the direct sun and this hat really delivers. Great looks, ultra-light weight, great ventilation and a piece of equipment that i never leave hope without. Thumbs up for this Outdoor Research Transit sun hat.
on June 14, 2012
I am in Afghanistan and just received this awesome hat. I was unaware that the size can be adjusted, but it is an amazing feature - it should be featured more prominently in its description. I also really like the sand plaid.

The screening makes it a very cool option during very hot days. I have had several positive remarks from both Afghanis and Americans, including several requests for trades.

It was an Amazon.com purchase, sent to an overseas address and arrived in 11 days.

I highly recommend this Outdoor Research Men's Transit Sun Hat!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After wincing when observing dorky people wearing geek hats like the unfortunate Aussie Abruka military headgear, the kind where the brim is snapped vertically along the right side of the hat, or hats with the nerdy, long fabric flap French Foreign Legioning down the back of the neck. I was looking for something tasteful, something cool but functional yet with it. I knew from experience to choose a hat from a company like Outdoor research because the details and quality would be. I chose the Cairn color, the plaid was, for me, well, meh. Outdoor research (OR) specializes in outdoor accessories. OR is famous for their high quality headgear such as their famous Sombriolet rain hat.

Rather than search for a sun hat from a firm that does not focus as much on headgear, I knew from experience to choose a hat from a company like Outdoor research because the details and quality would be higher. And it was. Strange, I bought it here on Amazon as a gift for my son-in-law, and it does not show it as a Verified Purchase, a first for me: Order #113-9039975-5335439, Outdoor Research Men's Transit Sun Hat, Large.

WHAT OUTDOOR RESEARCH SAYS
"Designed to keep you cool and shaded from dangerous UV rays, the expansive brim of the Transit Sun Hat(tm) keeps the sun off your head, face and neck, while the venting mesh panels let the breeze keep you cool."

FEATURES DETAILS
Breathable Mesh Panels
External Drawcord Adjustment
Removable Chin Cord

OVERVIEW
I find that the hat itself is slightly thick, a little heavier in weight, and heavier duty than other sun hats I have owned. Made of mostly cotton, the spandex allows a bit of flex for good fit and comfort.

THE DOME AND VENTILATION PANELS
High enough to provide a barrier for your cranium from collected heat, the side mesh panels do indeed provide helpful cross-ventilation to reduce temperature build-up. THE KEY WORD IS reduce. No sun hat can eliminate all heat build up. The usual practice of those that live in the sun, such as archaeologists and fisherfolk, for example, is to soak the hat in water, put it on, then let the evaporation of the water wick the interior heat away from your noggin. If you are bald, the mesh panels will shield your head if you have a fringe of hair, but if you are entirely bald or shave your entire head, then you will experience some sunburning unless you use sunblock.

The "Wicking TransAction(tm) Headband" also helps to wick sweat away for comfort. The "Protective SolarShield(tm) Construction, UPF 50+" helps to prevent UV rays from entering the hat's dome and sunburning your dome. The Transit Sun Hat runs a little large and the cord inside allows for a bit of tightening, but not much. In humid, sticky conditions of the Southeast or in the tropics, the thickness of this cotton hat with its partial ventilation might make this hat less comfortable than other designs. But elsewhere, particularly in the dry air of the West, this is what you want. No, this is NOT a rain hat as is the famed Outdoor Research Sombriolet, possibly the best rain hat ever designed.

THE CHIN CORD
The chin cord is removable, but why? You need it. Tuck the cord inside the hat and wear it that way when the wind is is not gusting. You can either tighten the chin cord under the chin or position it at the back of your head, where the indentation of the head meets the neck, drill instructor Smoky style.

THE BRIM
The brim is wide enough to provide good sun protection for the face, ears, and to a degree, for the neck. Being foam lined contributes to a certain slight stiffness, so the brim is not floppy and holds its shape, The Brim also floats if the hat falls into the water. Several other wide brimmed hats I have owned are very lightweight so the brim always flopped around and did not hold a shape you tried to give it. This brim is user friendly.

CONCLUSION
The Transit Sun Hat is well designed. A loose weave straw hat or a paper Panama hat might vent built-up heat better, but it also allows the sun's rays to enter, and durability is questionable. The vented cotton sun hat gives you both shade and adequate ventilation, is quite durable, it has UV protection with a less floppy brim than most other sun hats, including the beneficial sweat absorbing inner headband. Nice job outdoor Research. As a sun hat, this is a very good choice in my opinion, as my researches have not turned up a better overall design. It checks all the right boxes, so far. Four and a half stars.

For feedback or questions, please respond in the Comment section below...I would be glad to help. If I have helped you please let me know.
___________________________________________

To view my Blog, THE GOOD STUFF REVIEWS, please go to my Profile and click on the blue highlighted link.
on August 28, 2013
Purchased this hat a couple months ago and have been too busy enjoying it write a review. It is the best bucket hat I have ever owned. Sun protection that isn't to heavy in the hot weather. Keeps its shape even after rolling it into bags numerous times. Outdoor research truly makes some high quality head wear. I will definitely purchase products from them in the future.