Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on February 13, 2011
Gaiters in general:
It's important to keep the bottom of your pants dry (and of course the dreaded wicking upwards); it's apparent when you go hiking with your friends and they all end up with wet pants (whether walking in the [well below freezing temp] snow or wet brush). Thick (and durable) and breathable gaiters help with versatility for both winter and wet spring/fall.

Thoughts on (Outdoor Research) models:
These "crocodiles" have the extra weight fabric, wider velcro seam, and an extra velcro tab at the front base, which totally helps to keep the velco seam from unraveling; and, comes in an XXL size--over their "verglas" counterpart. The "expedition crocodiles" would just be a heavier step up (fabric wise).

Thoughts on sizing:
XXL fits 12-15 boot size (or euro 46-50), as opposed to XL, which fits 10-13 or euro 43-47--I bought the XXL for my size 13 (or euro 47)--could be a bit snugger in the leg area, especially the top closure that I seem to have fully tightened and the leg area seems just a tad baggy (which I could use the wide velco seem for adjustments: over lapping the seam a bit, but don't want to have that non-battened edge that could get opened by snow build-up; i.e. perhaps your choice of sizing would be better influenced by your perception of your leg size, and I would suggest *NOT* oversizing as you can always give slack in the underbelt and under lap the wide velco seam and have the bottom wrap higher on your boot (assuming you are using boots and not hiking shoes)).

Bottom line:
LOVE THEM!
on December 7, 2009
I've owned OR Crocodiles for years and have never had even the slightless issue. They are completely bombproof. The strap underfoot is incredibly durable and the hook and loop closure provides a tight, custom fit. I've worn these on winter slogs, spring mud stomping, wading across streams in the Adirondack mountains, hiking in the rain and they have always kept me warm and dry regardless of the weather or conditions.
on February 26, 2012
I live in a country in Asia where during a certain period of the year, it rains cats and dogs almost everyday. I'm 6'1" and am considered big in my country or most parts of Asia and hence the things I need to use will be bigger in most cases, including umbrellas. I don't enjoy carrying an umbrella, and foldable ones are too small to use so I relied on a poncho. The poncho protects me everywhere except the sleeves of my pants. It rained so heavily that the inside of my boots were completely drenched and I literally poured water out of my boots.

Initially I was looking at waterproof pants but it wasn't easy looking for one that can fit me wearing my jeans and I happened to chance on gaiters. I've never heard of gaiters before simply because the topic never came up in any conversations I had with anyone and no one locally uses it since we don't experience snow. I chose gaiters in the end because its easier and less awkward to put on gaiters at the bus stop than pants.

I finally settled on Outdoor Research M's Crocodiles gaiters simply because its one of the few that comes in XXL across brands. My huge calves both measure around 21.5" and these pair of gaiters supposedly fit up to 22". Putting them on , it looked a bit awkward as some of the Velcro material is still exposed which could mean that either that it doesn't fit up to 22" or I just don't know how to put it on. I can't ask anyone but I try my best to cover as much of the Velcro as i can and though when I put it on, it doesn't look like in the picture, it still covers majority of the Velcro and works extremely well against water.

I tested it in the shower with my boots and was amazed that the water beads up and falls to the ground. I've used it twice so far as the dry season is coming so it doesn't rain as heavily or often, but using the gaiters with my boots and poncho, I've never felt dryer.

*Addon (2nd March 2012)
I just walked in the rain and put my gaiters correctly this time (as in the deafault picture on Amazon with the brand facing outwards) and I realized that the hooks do not grab the lace of my Delta Gore Tex 6 boots. It would probably be a problem if I'm traveling in a country with snow but locally, since I'm using it in wet wear, it is not an issue since the rain falls off the gaiter onto the boot and then slides to the ground
on June 8, 2013
I like gaiters for hunting and ice fishing and these are the best I have found. They seal great along the Velcro, go on easily and quickly. I have had zipper gaiters before and they are a pain.
These have nice wide Velcro and go together very easily. They are large enough to go over bulky winter hunting and fishing outfits.

If you wear large Maine style or Lacrosse heavy winter boots you may want to go a size larger. I am 5'9" and these come up to just under my kneecap giving lots of protection.

My rock and ice climbing days are over so I can't comment on using these with crampons but they are excellent with snow shoes.

Update- 11-24-2013. After a full fall and winter of use I can only say I still love them. Still hunting deer in Ontario I sit under a pine tree along a deer trail in the winter. They compress the bulky winter clothing, stay dry in rain and snow and add to the warmth. Used them all winter walking back and forth to my ice shanty in Michigan both with and without snowshoes.

Forget all the sizing charts. Put on your boots and the clothing you will be wearing and then take your calf measurements etc. call expeditions 800 number for sizing help AFTER you do that.
on June 25, 2011
I am a shoe size 12US and am 6'2" and 242lbs. I ordered the Xlarge and am glad I did. These fit super snug around my mountaineering boots and fit well over crampons also. The top closures lack needed tightening space. This is easily remedied with multiple layers of pants. The material is of good quality. As for their functionality I have yet to use them in the ice so that is a story for later.
on March 13, 2014
OUTDOOR RESEARCH GAITERS ARE THE BEST GAITERS ON THE MARKET. MY HUSBAND AND I BOTH HAVE THE CROCODILE GAITER AND HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF WEARING THEM FOR 4 SEASON AND ABOUT 250 MILES OF MOUNTAINEERING.
on June 27, 2012
Let me first say that when sizing these,especially if you are on the median between sizes, I would size down (Using a standar waterproof hiking boot but not sure about a full mountaineer's boot) My boot size was at the top of large but bottom of XL and I went with XL. I have chicken legs so I had to sinch them down all the way at the top; I also maxed out the 2" of velcro strip and with all of that I think they needed to be a little tighter on the boot. If I had bought the Large I doubt this would have been an issue.

I used these on a winter trip to the top of San Gorgonio Mountain in Southern California. At lower elevations I had to stomp through a few ankle deep streams and towards the top we were in shin to waist deep snow. Only once did I feel and snow creep inside and that was a special circumstance. Even in waist deep snow with my skinny legs they to tightened well enough to keep snow from entering the top. When they did get wet on the outside they dried pretty quickly and they are pretty simple to put on. They breath as well as one would expect when wearing a waterproof layer over what is already likely several other layers. That said, you can also expect to gain a little warmth from them in cold temps.

All in all, when these wear out I will be buying another pair, only a size smaller.
on January 1, 2013
I wear a size 10 boot and have 18" calves, yeah, yeah... we aren't all greyhounds, some of us are bulldogs... but I searched long and hard to find info on calve sizing and found nothing, so I ordered based on boot size and the large size would not fit around my calves. From what I can determine, it was 2" too short around the circumference and the velcro in the calve area wouldn't come close to closing. If I go too big, say an XXL,(based on each size seems to add another inch in the calf region) then they won't fit around my boots.. Conundrum..
on January 16, 2014
Got the size according to my shoes size. I wear a size 10.5 shoe, so I got the Large gaiter. I can fit my entire fist in them when velcroed together. I just got off the phone with Outdoor Research and the representative told me the circumference of the top when laid out: L = 20&1/4", M = 19", and S = 18". These measurements do not take into account the the velcro overlaps 1&1/2" when secured. Great quality, wish these specs where included in the item info. Outdoor Research also guarantees these for infinity (their words, not mine).
on October 23, 2014
If you want to keep your work pants clean and dry without having to tuck them inside your boots, this is the product for you.

They're sturdy, rugged, and water resistant. I use them any time I'm plowing snow, or going in to work while the snow is on the ground or falling. They seal very well against your boots, and are a snug fit with the Velcro securing them against your legs.

If you play in the snow, and don't want to wear a full snow bib; these will work great with jeans if you're not planning on diving waist deep in to the snow. They keep your feet and boots dry, and jeans pants dry to the lower knee area.

I would buy a size larger than you think you'll need. I have the XX-Large, and while they fit fine, I think fitting them over jeans and 8" boots is a little too snug. So, buy a size bigger than you normally would.

I would recommend this for anyone looking to keep dry and keep your pants dry & clean.