5.0 out of 5 stars The best balaclava
I've used several balaclavas. This is the one I prefer the most.

I don't like the other balaclavas that have the stiff nose pieces, or the perforated foam mouth piece. They can only be worn one way.

Published on January 9, 2012 by Curious

Published 11 months ago by S. Graves

5.0 out of 5 stars The best balaclava, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Outdoor Research Ninjaclava Balaclava (Sports Apparel)
I've used several balaclavas. This is the one I prefer the most.

This one does fog up glasses if you wear it over your nose, but the beauty of this is you don't have to. You can pull it under your nose or under your chin while still keeping your ears and head covered. Alternatively, you can cover your nose and mouth, but not the top of your head. You can wear it as a beanie, or you can just wear it around your neck. Simply, it's super versatile.

It's thicker than my old Outdoor Research Ninjaclava that I lost, but it still fits underneath my bicycle and motorcycle helmets. Now, riding down the highway on my motorcycle in winter, my head and neck are warm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft and cozy, June 30, 2011
This review is from: Outdoor Research Ninjaclava Balaclava (Sports Apparel)
This clava is pretty neat. To start off I'm a young woman, not a male, and I am only saying this because I was wondering if the S/M would fit me. Sure enough it does! It could be a /little/ tighter, but it definitely gets the job done.
I got this for harsh winter morning in Flagstaff (AZ), where it drops to -20, and even worse is when you've got an 8AM class in that weather. This keeps your face nice and toasty. It WILL fog up your glasses if your nose is covered by the clava; ski goggles are fine, but sunglasses and such will get foggy. Just be warned of that.

Either way, for this price its a good buy, it'll keep you nice and warm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great above the Arctic Circle!, March 14, 2013
Mongo Buyer "~M~" (Bordertown, Arizona) - See all my reviews
Hiking, snow machining, shooting the aurora all night long in subzero temps - fingers and toes froze but my face was always warm!

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel like a ninja, January 11, 2014
QUALITY = 5/5, good stitching, construction, material
INSULATION = 5/5, I've been wearing it for the Polar Vortex that struck the midwest this 2014 January and it is a blessing in the -30F windchill!
FIT = 3/5, most of the head and mouth/jaw area are fine, but the bottom eye boundary rides high (pulls up) and annoys my lower eyelid. Other than that it fits my big fod well. The neck area is great to tuck into your collar/coat/jacket.
BREATHABILITY = 3/5, the material around the mouth and noze is same as rest of head, which makes it harder to breath through. You're not starving for breath, but the heat/moisture is a minor annoyance. I got this for my bike commuting during winter and I can see myself pulling the mouth area down below the jaw within a couple of miles... especially if it is in the mid 30s F.
VALUE = 4/5 Good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily my favorite, February 11, 2013
I've tried many facemasks, neckwarmers, and balaclavas over the years. I always went back to the one that I used since I was about 10 years old. Just a fleece neck sleeve with a head thing made of whatever polyester. It was great but it always was moist after a time if I wanted to wear it over my mouth and nose.

This balaclava solves that problem and cuts down on size as well. I can wear this under my chin, under my mouth, under my nose, or under my eyes (and goggles) and I can breath heavily without fogging my goggles. After periods of heavy breathing it would be the slightest bit moist but it was more just warm, and when I was snowboarding it would dry out very nicely without making me cold at all. It stays put really well.

It excels at blocking wind for the thickness. I am very impressed at this. For very cold temperatures I could wear something over or under this for ultimate warmth.

I really, really like the balaclava I would recommend it to my friends and family over any other that I have used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not ask for a better or more versatile facemask, December 6, 2014
I have worn this for 1 winter season now, and am about to head into a 2nd. So far, it is probably one of my favorite pieces of clothing along with my Outdoor Research Meteor Mittens. I bought this primarily for winter hikes and climbs in the Adirondacks, where it performed very well (worn it on 9 mountains so far). I typically wear it with the lower half just under my nose, and pull it up whenever I hit some hard wind. It keeps my face warm in low temperatures and high winds. I still often use a hat over this, with a fleece neck gaiter or scarf underneath the high collar of my jacket, and is just a layer, but an important one. I also found a good use for it in cold runs, where I can wear it a number of ways to my comfort. I very highly recommend it, though due to the design, if you wear it over your nose, it will fog your glasses and goggles (the reason why I often do not wear it over my nose). That won't keep me from wearing it. I have not used the other style of facemask, but I believe that this is superior due to the versatility of this style. And with a company like Outdoor Research, it is difficult to go wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good for non-aerobic activity to keep your face and neck warm, February 20, 2014
I bought this for running in very cold weather, but it became too tough to breath through and built up a lot of condensation. Easy fix by pulling it down under my chin, but kind of defeated the purpose. Would be great if you're doing something that doesn't require you to breath as hard as running or cycling. Can't wear glasses or sunglasses with the mask over face as it fogs.
The Large / X-Large is pretty big and left the opening large enough my ears got cold. I'm average build / height 190lbs @ 6 ft. Should have probably gone for the medium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best full facemask ever!!, December 30, 2013
AmaIng quality! It fit perfectly and was amazing for the winter months! Its comfy, breathable, and very nice. You can wear it 10 different ways! I liked it so much i bought another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a blind snow ninja, August 1, 2014
This review is from: Outdoor Research Ninjaclava Balaclava (Sports Apparel)
Good fit. Kept me warm in the nasty, bitter cold we had here in the Northeast this past winter. It made a huge difference when I was out shoveling snow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too close to eyes., February 1, 2014
I was hoping to find an alternative to my neoprene mask. I have 3 pairs of OR gloves and those are good quality and with the price point of this I gave it a shot.

Frankly I'm disappointed. First, it's too tight not to have air holes. I feel like I'm suffocating when doing anything other than sitting, and with no place else to go, your breath goes up and fogs up your goggles and gets the inside of the mask wet.

Second it pulls into my eyes. The elastic is pretty strong and ends up pulling itself up my noes into my field of view and eventually into my eyes. Consequently I'm constantly pulling down on it. The hindged mask is attached in two places and I'm not sure why. Without the ones closer to the eyes it works better.

I ended up fixing it by making breathing holes (heated a small pipe to make a circular hot cutter) and cutting the second hinge point with a heated razor blade. But even still it's not great. I wish I got something that already has holes and that is shaped a little better.