5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gloves for all conditions
Published on March 15, 2011 by Fizzo

2.0 out of 5 stars Fingers are cold after 20 min or so..
These gloves are definitely well built, the material really looks and feels robust. My problem is that I was looking for gloves that keep my hands warm and just after 20 min or so, my fingers were numb.
I am confused with all the positive reviews it received.
Published 21 months ago by PHL2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gloves for all conditions, March 15, 2011
Fizzo (Milpitas, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought these early in the season when i noticed my old gloves, The North Face Montana Glove '11 - Black, Medium, started to wear out after approx 3 seasons of use (the synthetic material on the palms was ripping up, and one of the gloves didn't cinch up anymore letting wind and stuff get in). I was looking for something that would work well in the wet conditions of the Cascades as well as the varied conditions of the Sierras and am very happy with these gloves. The leather palms is a huge step up from the synthetic material used on my last pair, they seem more durable and won't get as chewed up on an occasional rope tow.

The elastic cinch mechanism also works really well and I find that it keeps the weather out really effectively. Also, i think that the soft leather on the thumbs is a much more effective means of wiping your goggles than the hard rubber squeegee on other types. No frills, no extra zippers or bells on it, just a solid, warm, good gripping glove. I would whole heartedly recommend these gloves. The only annoyance with them i have is the way they clip together, you can't then easily attach them to your pants/jacket. Not a big issue, and i was able to fix it by using a clip from an old pair of gloves i have, but still, it annoyed me. Not really enough to bump them down to four stars because i think the warmth, comfort, durability of these exceeds other gloves i've seen at this price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good versatile gloves, November 12, 2012
I've been using these gloves for 9 months now. I primarily use them on the exposed bridge of a ship driving in and out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, exposing them to several hours of low temperatures, high winds, rain, and hail. I love the loops at the bottom that make it very easy to pull them on. The elastic cinch mechanism is pretty cool, too. Pull on one side to cinch them shut tight around your wrist, or pull on the other side to uncinch them and be able to pull them off. I like the soft-padded nose-wipe on the back of the thumb for when my nose is running up there in the cold, too.

The only downside or semi-complaint I have is that after several hours of exposure in temperatures around 45F, my hands are a little cold and numb. I considered getting gloves with more insulation, but my concern was finding a balance between flexibility and insulation. I wasn't sure if I got a glove with more insulation if it would excessively restrict or limit my fingers' range of motion.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these gloves, and if you don't plan on spending long hours exposed to temperatures 45F or below, they should be fine. If you DO plan on colder temps or long periods of time, then I recommend looking for some gloves with more insulation than these.

5.0 out of 5 stars OR Southback Ski Glove Review, February 15, 2011
I love these gloves! No more cold, wet hands by noon! The gore-tex is great. The leather stays soft and grippy even when its below zero and they have just the right amount of insulation. I hate really thick ski gloves because they prevent me from "feeling" my poles, these gloves were obviously designed by skiers. The gauntlet keeps out all of the snow and the "idiot cords" are very handy when you need to remove a glove on the lift. The cords are removable if you are a purist. The two things that make me go home early are cold feet and cold, wet hands. These gloves solved the latter problem and they look great too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fingers are cold after 20 min or so.., November 8, 2012
I am confused with all the positive reviews it received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cool-weather ski glove, March 11, 2013
Note that I said "cool", not "cold". If you're out in temperatures in the teens (Fahrenheit) or lower then you should be wearing mittens or a three-finger glove like the OR Highcamp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059BJKV0), which I also own. No glove is right for ALL conditions (other reviews notwithstanding) but these are my go-to gloves down to 20 degrees F. The Gore-Tex waterproofing is fantastic, dexterity is good and the idiot cords for retaining gloves should you have a lift mishap are great.

Note on sizing; I wear a Medium in almost every glove and this one is comfortable but I wouldn't be able to get a liner in there comfortably if I were inclined to use one. If you're a fan of glove liners then you might consider ordering up a size, but YMMV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fingers got cold in mild ski weather, January 28, 2013
J. Haynes (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outdoor Research Men's Southback Gloves (Apparel)
Just used these gloves up at Mammoth for two days of skiing, temperatures were in the 30s, with some gusts of wind occasionally. These gloves seemed good for a while, but my fingers slowly got cold and I ended up balling my hands in the gloves while on the lifts to keep them warm. My cousin had some gloves by another major glove retailer and he said his hands were fine. Like another reviewer said, I'm confused by all the positive reviews these got, maybe Outdoor Research has changed these or got their friends to write 5-star reviews?? The info on the glove packaging said these are rated for -5 to 25 degrees F, but there's no way these would hold up in that weather. On the other hand, they seem well made and have some nice features like a easy cinch system. But these didn't keep my hands warm in mild ski weather, they'll be going back to the store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good grip and dexterity - Ideal for PNW weather, February 28, 2012
The OR Southback glove works well and the Gore-Tex kept me dry even in pretty heavy rain. I have other gloves that are equally performing when it comes to warmth and dryness, but these gloves provide a good level of dexterity so that I can manipulate zippers and grab gear without needing to take off my gloves. This is a big plus in keeping my hands out of the elements. I would say that these gloves are ideal for the PNW climate for winter sports from temps around low 20s to mid 30s. If it gets colder, then I usually go with a different pair of gloves but lose some dexterity. Love the cinch chord system which allows easy tightening and loosening. The gauntlet is midsized so can either go on the outside or inside of my jacket sleeves (depending on jacket I'm wearing). I would definitely recommend for resort skiing and some backcountry here in the PNW. Good quality workmanship, on par with many high end gloves.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite Gloves, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Outdoor Research Men's Southback Gloves (Apparel)
I have had various winter gloves over the years, and these are the best by far. My previous gloves were all synthetic and every seam on the palm side was split or splitting. Based on my experience with gloves for other purposes, I knew that leather palms was the only material that will hold up to the abuse. These do no disappoint. Time will tell if they are as durable as I hope, but they certainly are warm and comfy, and I love the drawstring closure for the wrists. If I had one complaint it would be that the drawstring tabs could be chunkier to make it easier to grab with the gloves on. Neoprene on the index finger for wiping your nose is a nice touch!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for temps in the teens (Fahrenheit) - cold fingers, January 27, 2014
Jeffrey (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Purchased Jan 2014
Worn two days at Mount Southington, CT
First day was fine, temps in the low/mid 30s F. No issues.

CONS:
Second day of skiing, Jan 26 2014. Temps in the teens most of the day, sunny AM, cloudy/flurries PM.
By 3pm the tips of my fingers were frozen. Had to curl them back into my palms on the lifts to maintain warmth.

Note the gloves do NOT have zippered compartments where you can insert hand warmers. Also, no pull tab near the fingers to help remove the gloves.

I'd like the gauntlets to be about an inch longer, but they did cover the cuff of my ski jacket.

PROS:
When first purchased I ran them under tap water for 10 min, no apparent leaks, so that's good. Fits well, I'm 9.5" around the knuckles and purchased a large (however there's no way I could get a liner in there, order size larger for using a liner). Easy to tighten/loosen. I like the idiot cords. Soft nose/goggle wipes on both fingers.

I haven't had them long enough to gauge durability of the leather palms.

OVERALL:
These were fine for temps above 30F, but for sub 20s temps I should probably switch to trigger gloves or mittens. I bought them assuming they would do well into the teens, but I was mistaken. I wanted to buy a pair of Duluth Trading trigger gloves, but they're out of my size for the season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Price for a good quality glove, January 9, 2014
These gloves came highly rated so I ordered them sight unseen. They fit very true to the measurements provided at the company website so I suggest measuring your hand prior to ordering them. I bought them for a trip to Estonia but fortunately/unfortunately depending on your point of view, it is warmer here than the US right now. So I haven't worn them much. I did wear them while cleaning off my card after an ice/snowstorm in frigid conditions and they were very warm. They also have some nice features that help you tighten and loosen the gloves while skiing.

Outdoor Research Men's Southback Gloves (Black, Large)
$85.00 $69.91