4.0 out of 5 stars Burns hot, burns great
I subtracted a star because these are brittle and can crumble, and because their big strength is also a potential hazard--they burn real hot, and the flame will flare up at least four inches above the lit tablet.

Published on June 27, 2011 by Julia R. Cochrane

1.0 out of 5 stars Smells very strong and very nasty.
How can you store something that smells like a rotten fish carcass?
This stuff is really nasty. I ended up throwing it in the trash.
Published 9 months ago by kimo

4.0 out of 5 stars Burns hot, burns great, June 27, 2011
This review is from: Grabber Outdoors Solid Hexamine Fuel Tablets- High Performance, 12-Count (Health and Beauty)

I got that stainless steel pot (the one made to cook over a campfire) that had the little plastic clips to hold the lid on. I used it over the folding commando stove for the "boil water" test. I set a small steel grill on top of the commando stove because the pot was too small. The heat melted the plastic clips like taffy within the first couple of minutes. (No great loss, I was planning on removing them anyway.)

On the other hand, this passed the "boils water" test with flying colors.

I recommend lighting them at a corner with a candle or long-style lighter. I also recommend saving broken tablets and using them to adjust burn time if needed. Absolutely have water nearby when using these. Thoroughly dousing them puts them out, but the remnant of the tab will crack and break or crumble outright.

Also, I had the folding stove set on an old wooden table outside. The table started to smolder underneath the stove! Make sure you set your stove on packed dirt, rock, brick, steel, or cement. Do not set it up on an aluminum, wood, or plastic table--it burns too hot and will damage them.

On a recent group camping trip, these saved the day when it rained and drenched the wood for the bonfire. One of these burned hot enough to get past the surface moisture on the wood and start the bonfire, no muss, no fuss. I would carry these camping even without the stove just for that.

Good product. Does the job. Just be aware that it does work as advertised, have a cup of water to dump on it in case something goes wrong, and keep in mind that there is no way to get low heat out of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is really a solid.. solid fuel., October 22, 2011
Split the tab into 2 equal pieces, placing them 1" apart on an Esbit stove. Did this test at the college I attend; used an IR temp. sensor gun... because I wanted to play with it! Lighting the corner of each block took about 5 seconds of direct flame from a crappy cigarette lighter. After a minute or so, the top and sides of each block were producing flame. For the next 8 minutes, the average heat output with the gun pointing right above the tablet was 1130F. For the next 4 minutes: 890F. Peaked around 1200F. Occasionally brushing the tablet off increases the heat output but you in turn lose burning time.

We brought a pint of water to a boil in just over 8 minutes. I believe these should be a staple in any outdoor-going bag. The most common fuel stoves that are used for these types of tablets can hold 4 of these tablets easily making the entire setup extremely compact. I personally carry one hunting; it's aaaalmost odorless and a (insert favorite hot food here) tastes WAY better than anything cold on an even colder day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smell bad but work good., August 30, 2012
Yes they smell like cat pee. But they burn hot as can be. Didn't mean to rhyme that. They burn for almost as long as stated. This is a must in any situation. Easy to light too. They DO NOT FLOAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light My Fire!, September 16, 2012
The tablets worked perfectly and outlasted trioxane by more than 2 to 1
margin: 14.5 min to 5.5 min. Would recommend to anyone using Esbit
or other small stove for boiling water to drink or for a meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooking Fuel, November 27, 2011
These solid hexamine fuel tablets are a great lightweight source of fuel for boiling water and heating foods. They last about 10-12 minutes per tablet, which for me, is sufficient for a meal. I will be buying more in the future as well as another Grabber Outdoors solid fuel stove to keep in the car.

4.0 out of 5 stars bubble pack peeled off cardboard, July 4, 2013
R. Maffit (San Carlos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These tablets were in good condition as received; a little dust inside the inner packaging, nothing serious. The outer bubble/card pack was in poor condition, but that didn't bother me at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the job done. Way less stinky than Esbit ones., August 19, 2014
They stink in the package (keeping them in a sealed ziploc is essential), but not NEARLY as bad as the Esbit ones. The Esbits make me nauseous. Once I had them in a ziploc, they didn't bother me.

One tab almost boiled 2 cups of water for me (had little bubbles on the bottom of my aluminum cup). I put a piece of tin foil on top of the cop and around one side of the stove to minimize breeze. I thus used filtered water to do my cooking. It would do 1 cup easily. It did rolling boil almost 2 cups in a friends steel cup, so maybe steel heats faster?

I took these with my Esbit pocket stove on a 4 day backpacking trip and was happy. Take a good 5 seconds to light, which can be tricky with a breeze, but it all worked out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great, July 12, 2013
These heat tabs work great in my little Pocket Stove but in the past I have used them to start camp fires when the kindling was damp. In fact, I have even heated up small cans of food with them when I didn't want to take the time to build a real fire. They start easy and burn hot. My son told me he used a knife and a striker rod to ignite one last elk season when he got his matches wet. He use the larger fire that he started with the heat tab to dry out his gear and clothes. It would probably be stretching things to say that this product saved his life but it did help to make him more comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars grabber fuel tabs, June 13, 2013
tried these out for the first time last week, and I was disappointed to find that at 3000ft elevation, one tablet won't boil water for a mountain house meal. They do burn hot and long, but apparently not quite hot enough with one tab for the boil test. I'll use two next time and see how that goes. I do love that these babies burn clean and hot, but keep in mind, they're a bit stinky. My camp pot smells a little weird now but oh well. Use these with an esbit stove or something like it and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Smells very strong and very nasty., April 9, 2014
How can you store something that smells like a rotten fish carcass?
This stuff is really nasty. I ended up throwing it in the trash.