5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Item
I got this for my son, who is a police officer for Christmas. It was a nice gift I was proud to give and he was very happy with it. His wife liked it because not only was it functional it looks nice and is contained. Instead of a bunch of little pieces laying around it's all together, and easy to keep together, everything has it's place.
Published on January 18, 2007 by Deborah C. Henson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressive
Edit: 8Dec2012 The item listed is the original. Looks like the error I commented about on 31Mar2011 was temporary. The image now shows the wooden chest.

Published on February 22, 2011 by D. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressive, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Outers 25 - Piece Universal Wood Gun Cleaning Tool Chest (.22 Caliber and up) (Sports)

***
Edit: 31Mar2011 The item previously offered - the item I ordered and received - is not the item pictured in this listing at this time. At this time, the pictures for this listing show a blister pack containing a variety of cleaning tools. What I ordered and received in February, 2011 was a wooden chest with a folding top, drawer, and stand for long-guns. Please be careful in reading other reviews from before Feb 2011 as they probably do not refer to the item pictured as of the date of this review.
***

This case is functional, but I don't love it, and frankly, I'd be embarrassed to give it to someone as a gift.

There's not much wrong with the tools themselves. The description claims the spear-pointed jags are for .22/.270 and .30 caliber; the smaller is a .27 caliber jag that will not fit the bore of a .22 caliber rifle. The patch loops are plastic.

The case is large enough for plenty of materials - one could easily fit four 12-oz aerosol cans inside, plus patches, a couple screwdrivers, takedown punches, etc.

The problems are entirely with the material of the case. It is framed in hardwood and medium-density fiberboard, with cheap, veneer-grade plywood for the faces. It doesn't look too bad, but it feels exceptionally bad. The interior of the box is rough-cut - no effort was made at even sanding, let alone finishing. The handle on top is secured with an ill-fitting dowel rod.

There is no mechanism to secure the drawer - it is a friction-fit, and the friction is supplied by the cheap plastic tray inside. Remove that tray, and the drawer simply slides out. A latch of some sort would be preferable.

The tray holding the tools looks OK at first glance. Trying to remove the tools from the tray is problematic, as the recesses are deep enough to completely surround the tools, instead of being just deep enough to secure them. The tray is cheap plastic with some sort of velveteen finish.

The long-gun supports are functional, but again, particularly low-grade, rough-cut wood. I wish they would have chosen to save the money on the elastic, buckle, and screws holding them to the lid and instead spent it on improving the rest of the box.

For the price, I think they could have done a much better job on the case and tray.

These are some similar-priced alternatives I'd feel better about owning or giving as gifts.
Cases with gun-rests:
Plano Shooters Case
Plano Shooters Case With Gun Rests (X-Large)

Universal gun cleaning kits (to put in the cases above):
Outers 19 - Piece Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
Outers Universal Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol Cleaning Kit with Brushes (Hard Case)
Gunslick Pro Roll-Up Gun Cleaning Mat

Universal gun cleaning kits, hardwood case:
Hoppe's Bench Rest Premium Gun Cleaning Kit with Handle
Universal 27-pc. Cleaning Kit with Wooden Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Item, January 18, 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, March 13, 2011
This is defin made in China. Wood is cheap, gun rack is wobbly and I would not buy... Cleaning supplies are junk, when you open it up lint flies everywhere....not recommended..

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Received Gift To Avid Sportsman, January 6, 2009
Superior results can be obtained if certain precautions are considered.

1. Brass and bronze are 'soft' metal alloys. Use the rods and brushes with finesse, not brute strength.

2. Unless you are under fire, do not rush weapon maintenance. Devote the time and attention necessary for the task or have your weapons professionally cleaned (abt. $25).

3. Do not blame the tools if results are less than satisfactory; they are inanimate objects under your control. If you are old enough to use a weapon, you are old enough to understand (and work with) this concept.

That said, I want to pass along a hearty 'Thank You!' to Outers for providing a fully stocked gun cleaning kit, including highly serviceable rods and brushes, in a nicely crafted tool box. To spice the deal, The Sportsman's Guide was the only vendor carrying the unit just days before Christmas with guaranteed timely delivery.

My son-in-law and grandsons have already used the kit several times. I expect this kit to serve well for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars great gift, January 13, 2009
I bought this kit for my son inlaw for christmas and he loved it, He has many guns and said that this would really help in keeping them in top shape as well as working on them with the gun holder its like having another set of hands Thank you

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Name, poor product, January 20, 2012
Purchased this for a Christmas gift, after it arrived and I got a look at it, I kept it and got the individual another gift. It was just cheap junk and I would be embarrasssd to give it as a gift. Looks like it was made from an old cigar box in a school wood shop. The cleaning set is junk and you would be better off to buy a set at WalMart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice cleaning kit, February 19, 2010
I've had this kit now for a few months and love it. The box was better built than I though it would be after reading some other reviews. I found it fit tight with no open seams or other problem with the box construction. The cleaning tools are top notch as well especially the brass cleaning rods. I wished they had added some utility brushes with this kit as well as solvent, gun oil and grease however these things are easy enough for me to buy locally. I also like the depth of the tool box portion as I can store a lot in it. All in all I got better than I expected and would buy another without hesitation. I might even pick another up as a gift for one of my fellow gun owners.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst internet purchase I've ever made, August 16, 2012
Bad finish on the box it's rough with cracked wood..
Drawer takes both hands to open because it doesn't fit..
Gun holder might hold a daisy air gun and nothing bigger..
Chinese piece of junk..
I wouldn't pay $5.00 for it..
It was for my daughters birthday and I'm so embarrassed I can't even give it to her ... Happy Birthday Ricky I hope you enjoy your new 30.06

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT TO SHABBY, January 23, 2010
I bought this gun cleaning kit for my husband for Christmas, and when he opened it his face was in AHHHH!!! he was so impressed how nice it really was, very well built and has everything he needs for cleaning his guns. There is plenty of room on the inside for all his accesories as well. Looking for a good cleaning kit look no more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the gun enthusiast, February 22, 2012
My dad has a ton of guns. Hand guns, rifles, etc. I read all of the reviews on Amazon and some were saying it was junk. I ordered it and figured if it sucked I could send it back. It came in and I opened it (before giving it to my dad) and I was happy with it. For the price I don't think you will find anything better. It is pretty nice. If you want something better you will end up spending at least twice as much. The wood is fine, the arms fit well, and the tools are good. Lots of room on the inside for ammo, etc. My dad was pretty happy.

Rate and Discover Movies