3,266 Reviews
 (1,919)

5.0 out of 5 stars Where do you lie?
The main tenet of Outliers is that there is a logic behind why some people become successful, and it has more to do with legacy and opportunity than high IQ. In his latest book, New Yorker contributor Gladwell casts his inquisitive eye on those who have risen meteorically to the top of their fields, analyzing developmental patterns and searching for a common thread. The...
Published on July 14, 2009 by Bethany Jameson

915 of 1,035 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for fun, but 2 stars for originality
Gladwell has done it again...sort of. I would have categorized this book as a 4 or 5 star read like his previous two installments--Blink and The Tipping Point, except he lost a few originality points this time around.

Gladwell's knack for making a reader say "huh, interesting..." is something for other writers to marvel at. I'm convinced that he could pen a...
Published on November 21, 2008 by Nick Tasler

‹ Previous | 1133 134 135327 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening text, November 8, 2013
This is an outstanding book that should make our society take another look at why some people are successfull and provide assistance, in the form of small changes to the pardigm that is our society to help others achieve.

Tom

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprises, November 6, 2013
No really surprises in this book. Those who make it to the TOP in their fields didn't just get there thru hard work, they had opportunities that most other people did not have. Each chapter has a little different spin on the same concept. Gets a little redundant, but interesting none the less.

3.0 out of 5 stars Outliers Review, November 6, 2013
After reading Outliers I have developed a strong opinion about success. To give a little background the book is about different success stories and what certain thing caused that person to be successful. For example one story was the reason The Beatles were so popular.The author said it is because they had practiced for more then 10,000 hours. Same with Beethoven. Sounds silly right? Well, in fact it’s true with more practice the person gets more experience then after that they become successful. Another example was why Asians are so good at math. The answer was because of where they came from and what their culture is like. Back in ancient China when people had to do the tedious job of harvesting rice they learned to be patient and to never give up on problems. This was taught through generation and now today Asians are far more likely to work on a problem longer then Americans, who would give up after 2 minutes and decide that it is to hard for them. Many of the success stories came off and silly to me but after reading the explanation behind it, things began to make sense.
The reasons why I gave this book a 3 out of 5 stars was because I found the book boring at certain points. I thought that the book was to old for me. I thought to myself, I am young I don’t have to worry about my future why is this stuff relevant to me? I believe this book is more targeted towards high school and college students, because they are the ones who have to worry about heir futures. Also an adult would enjoy this book because they would like the different success stories and the philosophy behind it. I also thought the author could have cut some of the chapters short I found that sometimes a certain topic would just go on and on and I would keep waiting for the chapter to be over.
However there were some aspects of the book that I very much enjoyed. I found it very interesting some of the author’s ideas on what he thought made a certain person successful. For example the one story that I thought was totally ridiculous was in the first chapter where he describes how sometimes in sports it matters what month you were born in and whether your going to be successful. He used Canadian Hockey as an example, and he described how the kids who were born in January, February and March are more likely to become successful. After I read this I thought to myself, how is this possible? Why should it matter what month you were born in? Then he explained that certain cut off months could depend what age team you play on. Therefore the kids who play on the older teams get better coaches and skills training then the kids who are the same age as them but didn’t make the cutoff. Those kids therefore will begin to get better and have a better chance for playing professional hockey. It was these stories that I found very interesting because many of these things people overlook but, in fact they play a huge role in how a person succeeds. Overall, I thought this book was okay, but it left me with a lot to think about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all around read, November 5, 2013
I really enjoy Mr. Gladwell's books. This books is no exception. Recommend it for anyone looking for a thought provoking, easy to read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Gladwell's Point-of-View!, November 4, 2013
Malcolm Gladwell's observations and social epiphanies are thought-provoking and applicable. His style of writing is exciting, and the fluidity makes all of books and articles such fast reads! I have been a fan of Gladwell since I read Blink in high school, and he hasn't lost his charisma with this one. Reading Outliers is inspirational for those who questioned success and ever doubted their "luck" in finding success. Otherwise, the book puts so many events and facts into new perspectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, give it as a gift, but most of all, act on the information, November 3, 2013
An interesting read for those of us who look to understand what influences outcomes. Moreover, it may well be an IMPORTANT read for both parents of young children and for those young adults who, today, face the possibility of being economically- and success-deprived due to the combination of relying on the thinking of their parents' generation and of the fact of a global economic depression. Young adults who can read this both analytically and with introspection may be able to identify where they have missed opportunities and then identify ways to recoup, to exploit hidden opportunities, to create their own new openings to success and happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars I do not like to read, but when I do I read ......., November 1, 2013
Loved the down to earth tone when talking about some of the greatest people on earth. If you like to know what makes people jump higher than the average Joe, or why lighting strikes every second and why no one will ever see or hear this, the universe has its hero's. To the businessmen or lawyers to inventors and or actors, this book helps bring people to a common thread, and that is to become the best in what ever you do, You will never know where it will take you. I have this book because I know some people of industry that you would never believe the amount of success they have had, one of my personnel theories is to mingle with these people and see how they think, they are no different than you or anyone else. The real true thing I see is that they are open to all sorts of ideas and with some of there own they" ACT "on it, and bet the farm on it. They believe in themselves they do not look at the failure aspect, they see it as a learning curve...

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating book, November 1, 2013
While there's been a lot of discussion about the 10,000 hours theory and a lot of people have a problem with it, I found this book fascinating. It's a very easy read with a lot of clear examples. As a theory of expertise, with a lot of data to back it up, this book is excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in why certain people become great in their fields.

5.0 out of 5 stars How the early settlers of the United States of America, from many countries and cultures, became successful and prospered., October 28, 2013
Island Gal "Sue" (Nobleboro, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
Malcolm Gladwell has done it again. Taken documented historical facts and and proven how this great nation was built on individual strength, determination and sacrifice. Commitment to hard work and investing in what you believe in in America. Hooray for distinguishing success through hard work, sacrifice and saving. Setting goals and achieving success. A tool for all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't take the full credit for my success..., October 27, 2013
The above statement is one of the life changing take-aways I have from the book. Gladwell, uses a perfectly selected group of examples to explain the unique, and yet similar circumstances that it took for the Outliers to succeed. However, he takes away the mystery of their prowess while leaving them with some credit, but he does this all while teaching us that however we succeed in life is not because of our greatness but because of the great opportunities presented to us in which we choose to take advantage of.

‹ Previous | 1133 134 135327 | Next ›

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (Hardcover - November 18, 2008)
$27.99 $16.98