5.0 out of 5 stars Outlive your Life by Max Lucado
Published on September 10, 2010 by Christie Albaugh

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I thought
It's a great study, but not what I thought it was. Great motivation tool to do community outreach. Moving, just not what my small group thought it would be
Published 15 months ago by K. Dewitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlive your Life by Max Lucado, September 10, 2010
This review is from: Outlive Your Life Participant's Guide: Discover How You Can Make a Difference (Paperback)
Max Lucado has hit the nail on the head in his newest book, "Outlive Your Life." In the first chapter, Lucado slaps you in the face with the desperate and devastating reality of billions of people all around the world struggling to survive each day. Throughout the remaining chapters, Lucado follows up by presenting the readers with one of the most important questions you may ever have to ask yourself: What if I helped? What if I stepped out and actually did something?

This book is a must-read! Once I started it was hard to put the book down. Max Lucado does a great job of presenting the reality that we as Americans often try to ignore or pretend doesn't exist. This book, however, confronts that reality head-on and then challenges you personally: What are YOU going to do about it? What am I going to do about it? A great read for people in all stages, ages, and walks of life. An easy read intellectually, but a hard pill to swallow. Two big thumbs up to Max! I definitely recommend this book and hope that the words of the title are taken literally by all readers. "Outlive Your Life."

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, September 10, 2010
Max Lucado is a great author and he has written another wonderful book that challenges us to be active in our surroundings and to join in our community to be the best we can be. Whether you yourself is struggling or your neighbor is he is there to lift us up and remind us that we can do for ourselves and for others no matter what our aituation is. He reminds us that our goal is heaven but we have to live our life as the best we can be from earth. I am a book reviewer for booksneeze and I received this book free and I enjoyed it and hope that many people read it and enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review - Outlive Your Life, September 3, 2010
I recently read the another one of Max Lucado's books called OUT LIVE YOUR LIFE The title was intriguing and I was eager to begin reading. First of all the book was easy to read and understand. Max gave excellent examples of how we ordinary people can make a difference in the lives of others.In fact his words were "You were made to make a difference" Max challenges the reader to reconsider your role in the world.

To begin with, Max talks directly to those of us who are not wealthy, we may have no position in society, who may volunteer already in the community, you work or worked hard, pay your taxes, attend church, etc. He puts no minimum or maximum age on his challenge either. Now of course this does not discount those who are wealthy or who have a position in our society. But the challenge is there: Love those in need and when you do you are showing love for Jesus.

Jesus came to Earth to show us how we can make a difference in the lives of others. He provided many examples in his life and Max illustrates his examples by using The Bible. So how does that apply to our lives? Here are several examples from the book.

Some needs can be met without cost: encourage someone, listen to someone, offer to babysit for a single mom, read to children or help children to learn to read and that includes adults, cut someone's lawn for them, offer to drive them to doctor appointments or grocery shopping, stand up for what is right and remove your biases about how a person looks, his religion, his position in society or the world, serve food at a local soup kitchen, etc.

Here area few examples that would require some funding: invite someone who is alone for dinner or take them a meal, raise money ( as a nine year old boy did) to help a village in Africa dig wells so they would have clean water to drink, adopt a child overseas who needs an education and food to eat (you never know if this child we become a doctor in their own country, purchase a meal for a homeless person, gather clothing to take to a shelter, make blankets or purchase blankets for the babies of teenage mothers, women and their children in shelters, homeless people who may have a church or shelter at night, contribute money to the Heifer project so a family could purchase chickens , tools, whatever so they can make a living and raise out of the poverty they currently have in their lives, and more .

You could easily brainstorm ways to "out live your life" with family and friends. You can easily make a difference in someone's life.But remember that you cannot out live your life if you cannot get beyond you judgments about others. You biases must cease in order to do the work of Jesus on Earth.

Please before you involve yourself in service at any level, ask yourself why you are doing this. Are you doing it to be recognized by others? Will you be disappointed if you are not recognized? If you are performing works of service to have recognition, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Desire to serve God in any way you can. God will notice!

At the end of the book is a section of Discussion and Action, so the book can be used by groups. There are other resources available to enrich the experience and discussion also.

Will you take the challenge of "out living your life"? Would you be able to find a way to help another person in our community or in our world that would change their lives? Remember you were made to make difference in this world. You can begin today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small group book, October 7, 2011
Working through this with a small group from church, very thought provoking and discussion stimulating each week. Looking forward to the rest of the book (1/2 way through now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado, October 24, 2010
Kara Lorin-Basiga (San Jose, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
First and foremost, I am happy to announce that my first encounter with Max Lucado as an author did not frustrate me. I requested this book a month ago and planned to read this on my upcoming 16-hours flight, but guess what, there's a little change to the plan because I already started reading the book the day I received it and in just two days I finished the reading despite my very busy schedule! Take it as a reliable evidence from a reader who just couldn't put a Max Lucado down.

This is the first book under a religious category that I requested to review. I am amazed how the author gathered everything in this book. The book has really an overpowering humbling effect! I say that every page is really a piece of cake that you could share to somebody and change the way they look at life. True, life is not just a shallow phase that you had to go thru to worry about simple things and waste it away. This book elaborates a very profound meaning to living a life that is much more meaningful when you do a little very simple something for someone who is in whatever need. There are the homeless, the hungry, the brokenhearted, the jobless and the what not, and taken that nobody could give everything to change these unfortunate endeavor, you could do something very simple that could help a soul in need. The biggest challenge is only taking your first move.

It seems to me that I am envious of how Max has chosen to outlive his life when I came across his stories about random people he met and was moved by his simple gestures of kindness. I have decided to pass this book to a friend whose outlook in life I could probably change.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars for a very worthy content and in terms of its readability. This is not your usual boring religiously-themed book, because I never really expected sufficient humor inside.

I got this book as a complimentary copy from Book Sneeze in exchange for my honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book to read again and again, September 13, 2010
I received this book, Out Live Your Life by Max Lucado free from BookSneeze to read and do a review on and to give my honest opinion. Well, honestly I loved it. I love almost any book by Max Lucado anyway, but this one will really get you thinking. One of the verses that he has in this book is, "God has shown me that he doesn't think anyone is unclean or unfit" (Acts 10:28 CEV)(p149) This gets you thinking, I mean we all know that God loves everyone, but sometimes we have a hard time understanding why people are the way they are. Everyone has a story and a reason for being in the situation that they are in and it isn't up to us to judge why they are in that position. Also another part of this book that really got me thinking was on page 172 Max says, "None of us can help everyone. But all of us can help someone. And when we help them, we serve Jesus." That made me realize a couple of things, I mean these were things I already know, but like I have said they got me thinking. Every little bit makes a difference. It may not seem like a big deal to us, but it may be a big deal to someone else. I say give this book a try and it will be worth it. I wish I could get everyone to read it. I may even go back and reread it a few times. I have already highlighted some of my favorite parts. I want to thank BookSneeze and Max Lucado for giving me the opportunity to read this and give my review.

The opinions in this review were my own. I was not influenced in any way by BookSneeze or anyone else. I did not receive monetary compensation for this review, but I did receive this book Out Live Your Life by Max Lucado for free.

2.0 out of 5 stars outlive your life, March 11, 2014
it is the only book that Max Lucado has written that I did not sense that it met my expectations

2.0 out of 5 stars Way to Detail!, October 12, 2013
Not at all what I wanted when it came. It is over the top for a small group. Maybe suitable for a school (Christian College) or so.

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I thought, May 13, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS DOESN'T MATCH THE DVD - AT ALL!!!!!, April 13, 2013
Susan Vilbert (Clearwater, FL USA) - See all my reviews
The low rating on this is because this does not match the Outlive Your Life DVD by Max. There are 6 DVD sessions, there are 4 sessions in the book and they are not aligned at all. I really don't understand why this book is being sold as going with the DVD.

Outlive Your Life Participant's Guide: Discover How You Can Make a Difference