Published on November 12, 2012 by Ripley Clone 8

3.0 out of 5 stars Outpost: Black Sun; a decent sequel.
Published on December 8, 2012 by Jacob Knotts

5.0 out of 5 stars A more explosive, gory, violent action filled addition to Outpost!, November 12, 2012
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)
I'll start by admitting that the plot to the entirety of the "Outpost" series so far is a bit silly but I can't help but admit that the series has some really fantastic original stuff in it. Both cool and gory this series is pretty badass in a multitude of bloody ways. Both Outpost and Outpost Black Sun have been scary, gory and yes even a bit silly from time to time. I mean lets face it, this is the closest thing we are ever going to get to a "quality" nazi zombie film right?

Outpost which was released in '08 was surprisingly a scary film. There were some true moments of terror and fear in the film. Such as the dead body sneaking up behind the solider, the torture scenes and the atmospheric nazi ghosts and settings. It really did scare the shit out of me from time to time. It was an independent horror film that really stood on its own and had some action and horror all mixed up into one package. I mean I enjoyed it alot!

And then here comes Outpost Black Sun. The sequel to Outpost which I was pretty pumped for since I heard it was going into production. And yes it delivered! The budget was greater, the acting was a greater step up from the first. There was a much larger multitude of gore, action and plot introduced which I thought was a great way to give the audience something even more than what we had received the first time. Outpost Black Sun had many more layers than Outpost and to that I have to give credit for. This film had some great scary moments too. I felt the film left an impact. And I had loads of fun with it!

If its one thing this series so far has illustrated it is that its shown that it can take its self seriously but also have fun with the idea of bringing the 4th Reich back from the dead. Some of it is laughable, some of it is scary, some of it is gore filled and violent and even some of it is action-packed. But overall I have give the series a triple thumbs up for being cool, original and fun all in its own right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Outpost: Black Sun......, November 19, 2012
blackaciddevil (in the USA somewhere.....) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)
It's 1945. A German scientist, by the name of Klausener, is working on a new technology that has the power to create a massive army of Zombie Nazi. Present Day, Two investigators team up with a Special Forces Unit to venture deep inside a war that's raging between the military and that massive army of Nazi Zombie Stormtroopers. Their mission? to fight their way behind enemy lines, locate the technology at the source of this growing threat and prevent the inevitable rise of the 4th Reich.

Despite the fact that the plot sounds an awful lot like The Asylum's "Nazis at the Center of the Earth", I decided to give Outpost: Black sun a chance and I'm glad I did. While it might not be as entertaining as "Nazis at the Center of the Earth"(watch that movie & you'll figure out what I'm saying), it certainly is engrossing and intense. More like a war movie than a Zombie Nazi movie. I really liked it and aim on hunting down the first movie.

One of the better zombie movies out there. I recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise with Deeper Content, April 7, 2013
Go rent Outpost before you watch this - it's the first in the series. While Outpost: Black Sun stands alone, the movie's plot and certain scenes make more sense when viewed in sequence. Both these movies are sleepers, and worth the time. The low budget effects worked given the European setting, and the story has depth. Reminds me a bit of Dog Soldiers - but better. In this regard, these aren't your typical "virus" or "evil" curse type zombie flicks. In fact, I'm not sure "zombie" is technically the right nomenclature. At the end of WWII, you've got the Third Reich experimenting with quantum physics and Unified Field Theory to create an unstoppable army of death - they never left the bunker where these horrors originated. Though, that changes with events in the two movies as the "machine" is restarted. For comparatively unknown actors, the character performances were gritty and realistic, even if brief in some circumstances. These movies are not for the kids... there are some truly scary moments that aren't done with gore, but you also have that at times. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Outpost: Black Sun; a decent sequel., December 8, 2012
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)
Let me start out by saying how much i loved the first one.. I found out about the original Outpost whilst on a hunting trip up north with family and friends. A friend had brought his collection of foreign movies and among them was a little gem called "Outpost". Outpost had everything a good independent horror film could have-especially for its incredibly small budget. A good script, good sets, phenomenal acting, and good effects.

Flash forward a few years, and the sequel has arrived. Excited, I rip open the box I received from amazon, put it in the DVD player, and let it rip. Now, I won't go into detail about the movie for fear of spoilers, but I will say this: you really need to watch it to decide for yourself whether its a good sequel to the first. I will say that it's like "Aliens to Alien", whereas the sequel is more of survival-action than of horror. The two main problems that I only had with the movie weren't of concern with the script or story, those aspects I think they got right with. The problems I had with were the atmosphere and the "zombies" themselves. Outpost had a really gritty, Gothic look to it that made you wonder what was around the corner, and the sequel, really, quite doesn't. The other main issue were the "zombies". Although the atmosphere tied in with this a bit, the nazis weren't supernatural ghosts, but more of an invincible army that screamed as if they were traditional zombies.

All in all, I think it's really up to you, the viewer, to decide. I personally didn't regret watching it, and after watching it twice, it has sunk in better for me. If you are a fan of the original Outpost or even if you're just a fan of nazi/zombie movies, give this a shot. You might find it enjoyable.

3/5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, January 13, 2013
Tom Montoya (Aliso Viejo, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun BD Combo [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Not having viewed the original, I bought this Blu-Ray. I could not have been more pleased. Good story. Good acting, and great production. All through the film, I kept thinking that Catherine Steadman could resurrect the Alien(s) series. She is a good actress, and has what it takes to do an action film. Could she be "Newt"??? If we ignore Alien 3 and 4, why not??? She has my vote. Anyway, this is a good film. My dollars well spent. Enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars Out Post! a scary situation!, January 3, 2013
Melvin Hunt (Cleveland,, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)
At the end of World War II an evil Nazi scientist named Klausner has developed a machine that can create a group of super soldiers. The war ends with Klausner being unsucessful at his effort. A young woman named Helena(Catherine Steadman) is openly hunting Nazi war criminals. At the beginning of the movie
she has located one of them in Paraguay. From there she is able to start tracking down Klausner as well as the Zombie Nazis. She arrives in Europe where
forces from NATO ar3e at an all out war with the Nazis. She also finds a pardner in a fellow named Wallace. Once they get on the trail they discover that they are closing in on the machine that has created these Nazi creatures. After finally locating the machine a pitched battle takes place. The NATO troops
and the Nazi hunters against the monster Nazis. This is a tremendous battle. A good movie with a surprise ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING SPRYLY FOR A DEAD GUY, April 13, 2013
Three words could describe this film, "Zombie Nazi Stormtroopers." Lena (Catherine Steadman) has spent her life hunting Nazi war criminals with her parents. She has one top dog left: Klausener (David Gant). Well it just so happens Klausener has created a magnetic zombie stormtroopers machine and is slowly taking over Eastern Europe. Lena gets caught in a war between the Stormtroopers and NATO.

The soldiers weren't zombies in the modern movie sense, although they pretty much acted like it and meet the definition. The film did not have the scare value of a horror film, but was more akin to an action/war film with zombies. Lena teams up with Wallace (Richard Coyle) to hunt them down.

I am not as excited about this film as I am other recent zombie films because it lacks the horror. The plot, sets, special effects, and acting were all par for this type of production. I enjoyed "Gangsters Guns & Zombies" more than this film. For a really good zombie film check out the new "Night of the Living Dead."

Parental Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity.

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING SPRYLY FOR A DEAD GUY, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)

Parental Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity.

5.0 out of 5 stars nazi, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)
creepy,cool.A well made story about machine that creates an undead army of indestructable soldiers.very well written full of suprises ,better than the first outpost movie but watch the first to make sense of it all,both are very well done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Outpost II Black Sun is a strong contender for best Nazi Zombie film ever. Remarkable use of intelligence instead of money., December 27, 2014
This review is from: Outpost: Black Sun (DVD)
Outpost II-Black Sun (2012)

I enjoyed “Outpost” very much and I thought that the movie makers did a commendable job with a limited budget, or hardly any budget at all. They successfully produced a profit making venture which gave them the courage and the funds to make a second stab at the movie business. “Outpost II-Black Sun” improves on its predecessor in every respect. “Outpost II-Black Sun” serves as an exemplar of what we want in a low budget Zombie flick.
Set in the former Yugoslavia but like the first film the actual production took place in Scotland. They used some of the same sets and to my eye might have used some clips from the first film. The story spins out the tale of Nazi SS scientists near the end of the war doing fiendish experiments involving a combination of serum and an electrical device that exudes a “unified field”. This results in a battalion of Zombie storm troopers, dormant until the device is re-started (see “Outpost”). The Nazi Zombies have a terrifying aura about them. The scientists apparently used big soldiers as their base stock. Nearly all the observed Zombie kills of humans are done up close and personal with edged weapons or bludgeons. The dead soldiers can use firearms and do so but seem to prefer to see the people they kill. The Zombiefying process also degrades their speech ability and perhaps their intelligence. They do however move at a scurry as their best speed.
A lot of the movie is filmed in the dark or in smokey or misty conditions, which gives a scary edge to the whole enterprise. We never know when some SS Oberwachmeister might come out of some dark corner of the underground outpost and grab somebody. Which happens, giving us a nice startle reflex.
Writer/director Steve Barker returns from his duties in “Outpost”. His writing companion Rae Brunton also comes back to help write.
The story opens with a young woman entering an old folks home in Paraguay. She seeks very old Nazi war criminals. Shortly she shifts to the former Yugoslavia where Lina meets up with Wallace, a science scavenger who is also looking for the Nazi lair. She seeks revenge, he looks for loot. In the first “Outpost” we had Ray Stevenson-one of my favorite actors-playing a leading role as a mercenary. We have two accomplished actors in the new film in the leading roles. Catherine Steadman plays Lina. Steadman, young as she is, has a long string of credits including roles in “About Time” (go see it!), “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen” and everyone's favorite soap opera “Downton Abbey”. She can really act. Similarly, her co-star Richard Coyle has some 48 credits. He also has excellent abilities. Coyle has a recurring role in the TV spy show “Covert Affairs”.
Good Nazi Zombies, good acting by genuinely talented and professional people, an acceptable plot and careful directing all weigh in on the positive side of the balance. Only the small budget, however cleverly disguised, prevents this fine little Nazi Zombie film from getting more than three and a half brains. I want to see the next in the series and see if they get more cash to spend on it.
This UK made film does not have a rating but should be “R” for violence and very foul soldier language. The dead Nazi soldiers mostly kill by stabbing or bashing the living. The run time is one hour and 41 minutes, a bit longer than usual.
I liked this one. Some call this the best Nazi Zombie film to date. This notion can be defended (but “Dead Snow” remains my favorite).

Outpost: Black Sun BD Combo [Blu-ray]
Outpost: Black Sun BD Combo [Blu-ray] by Steve Barker (Blu-ray - 2012)
$20.99 $12.19