5.0 out of 5 stars Practical spiritual guidance
Published on May 23, 2011 by redtapegrrl

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Topics and Stories
The reviews for this book were so great that I purchased it sight-unseen. It's okay, and the material is good, but it isn't new territory for me. If you've been on a spiritual path for some-time, it won't be revelations to you, but it still was an enjoyable read. Each chapter is quite brief and easy to read one little chapter each day, or just flip to the topic of your...
Published 19 months ago by HeartofAvalon

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical spiritual guidance, May 23, 2011
redtapegrrl (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Too bad we can only give 5 stars max; I'd do at least 10. Or 100. Or 1,000. This book, which at this point I've read 3 times, is a down to earth and real-life guide for opening to divine guidance on a day by day and minute by minute basis. It's an eye-opener for redefining "divine" -- god, our own inner self, ishvara devata, the universe. However we can think of the divine, "Outrageous Openness" added richness to my own working definition and experience of it.

The stories that illustrate the principles of letting the divine take the lead are at once moving and hilarious. This book has lots of useful information, presented with a light heart.

While I do have a mystical streak a mile wide -- evidenced in part by the various scriptures and treatises in my library -- I also have an equally spacious practical side. Tosha Silver's book skillfully and clearly speaks to both aspects without shortchanging either one. So many books and classes have a nebulous (and completely wimpy IMO) "spiritual" focus, while others go overboard with arduous overly precise -- and exhausting -- steps to becoming perfect. This book is ideal for those of us who, in Angeles Arrien's words, "walk the mystical path with practical feet."

It's a keeper and one of those references we can return to again and again for guidance as we negotiate the tricky path of our daily lives. I plan to.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A single moment of understanding can flood a whole life with meaning." - Anonymous, July 7, 2012
My parents "got religion" in their late 20s while in the tundra of Alaska. Raised in a Fundamentalist Christian Church, I got the notion of spirit and the power of focus and prayer. But once the service was over, so was all discussion of the magic and freedom (and responsibility) I had just heard from the pulpit. Now, as a 56-year-old woman, I have spent 15+ years spiritually seeking and working on my walloped soul. I've read most every book in the New Age/Spirituality section at Barnes and Noble and beyond. And all of it has helped. I am centered, earnest and learning to operate from a base of love. Yet, the minute my feet hit the streets of NYC, I feel frustration, irritation, and angst. Hmmm....where is the application of my spiritual life? I am inconsistent with the protocol of meditation, gratefulness, and non-judgment. And then I read about Tosha Silver being on Dr. Christiane Northrup's Hay House Radio program. And I stared at her photo on Facebook, asking to be friends. I saw a neon Budweiser sign behind her and I knew I had to know more. It is her stories that crack open my faulty follow through and teach me to relax into my own "outrageous openness" of ability. I read this book yesterday and didn't want it to end, but when it did, I knew, KNEW I had the tools I'd been seeking since 1997 to live a wide open life! I thank all the authors and spirit guides I've read previously, but I tell you, this book will show you the way through Tosha's easy, clear, fun and no strings attached honesty and ridiculously righteous power.

She breathes the wonder of love.

Buy this book if you want to live whole and let the Divine truly take the lead. It is so much easier and practical.

My favorite part is the story of the spiritual woman who refused to see the God in everyone and did hilariously absent things like walking away from someone while they were talking or emptying a dryer with wet clothes in order to place her laundry. At the end of the story, the woman is moving and catches a string of lights from the garage next to her and rather than stopping, lets the string rip off the garage exterior as Tosha and the other tenants watch the commotion trailing behind her. How many of us are caught in this struggle of wanting to source from spirit, but end up being horridly human?

I don't want to live like that.

Outrageous Openness frees me to live a life open to prayer, help, and miracles 24/7. I am excited for all my tomorrows, and delighted to be sitting in the now of this present, my past smiling, winded and done.

Thank you, Tosha.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, August 30, 2011
As a child of the Midwest, I remember catching lightning bugs and keeping them in jars for a couple of hours before releasing them back to the skies. I would study those bugs and watch how their glow appeared and disappeared. It was like waiting to see lightning in the sky - you could never get a really good look at it since it only lasted for a moment. I was fascinated.

When I think about the time I spent with those bugs, I am still fascinated at the thought of their glow. As adults I think that we stop being fascinated. We stop looking when there are so many little miracles to captivate us. Tosha's book reintroduces us to the small but mighty details of life that we tend to ignore in our adult lives. It reminds us of how beautiful this world is, and what we are missing by not being conscious of our surroundings. The Divine is all around us. Tosha reminds us to notice. ...Like we did when we were kids.

Not so outrageous. Enchanting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, enjoyable, June 10, 2011
Marjorie Roen "meditator" (S. Fallsburg, Upstate NY) - See all my reviews
This book was even better than I thought it could be. It is helping me unleash the creative energy I have wanted to be working with for a long time in media. Tosha's openness, and mastery are wonderful, she does not get caught in the stiffness and staleness we so often encounter "on the path". I plan on getting some copies for friends when available in hard copies.

Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a breath of fresh air..., May 30, 2011
This wonderful book stands out in stark contrast to the pretentious and stale formats we sometimes come across in this genre. It shines as a profound yet down to earth expression of how to live in harmony with your own inner Divinity. I belly laughed my way through it-- responding heartily to the offbeat satiric humor. And I was surprised by how deeply moved I felt , and by the faith kindled in me by these wonderfully unique stories. Give me Tosha's tales any day, rather than dry pedantic reminders of my spiritual inheritance. It's a keeper--- and I intend to return to it when needed on my own spiritual journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, June 3, 2014
If you are wondering where your faith has gone. Look here for the answer.

As soon as we begin to believe that things are not going as they should, the pain and suffering starts.

It is no accident you are reading my review today. Things are always as they should be. Make the best of it and relax.

Enjoy the book, it will remind you of the truth your heart already knows and the facts our minds needs to hear again.

Be Well and In Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars a practical guide to the Divine, July 29, 2011
Tosha's talent and honesty make Outrageous Openness such a fun, thought provoking and interesting read. Whether you're tired of the "sanitized white light sameness" of so-called self-help books or introductions to our different dimensions, or perhaps skeptical of the same...the accessible story format of OO allows anyone to enter Tosha's perception of
"Divine Source" or "the knowledge that prosperity and good comes from god not any individual person or job."

Don't let the word god fool or detract you. Her perspective is "independent of all formal religion" and there's nothing here being shoved down your throat. Rather with her smooth storytelling skill (honed by her columns in the SF Examiner), Tosha's shared tales of her and other's life experiences and epiphanies inspire the reader to see the patterns in their own lives and trust that "once you know how to tap this source you trust that what is meant for you will come in an organic way"

Thank the universe for our reading enjoyment that "any story of a miracle or strange synchronicity held (Tosha) captive". You'll connect with some examples more than others, depending on your unique personality and taste. In any case, if you let the words work their magic, you may be able to glimpse the "undiluted truth of (your) own soul", finding "creative inspiration" in her affirmations, ritual suggestions and mediations on the "Divine flow".

It seems to me, Tosha confidently encourages us to trust that the world is not out to get us. Pay attention to whats happening around you, and blossoms of new info and mysterious happenings will poke you on the shoulder. For if we could all just "own (our) true energy, the earth itself will breath a long deep sigh of relief", a poetic way of saying: all is right with the world.

Ultimately, none of this may be your cup of tea..."But", as Tosha teases and supports, "why not try?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme, May 21, 2011
I am absolutely INHALING this book. Tosha has written so beautifully and has illustrated every point she conveys to you SO WELL that you will not be able to put this down. Trust me.

I felt so relaxed the more I read and I found it difficult to find something more important to do instead read this book.

If you really want to understand what letting go and 'Letting the Divine take the Lead' really means- there are plenty of stories that will make you "get it".

And if you want to be uplifted, feel positive vibrations and be inspired to do things you didn't think you could- you definitely want to read this book. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been reading Tosha's S.F. Chronicle articles for years. And now comes the awesome book!!!, May 29, 2011
I just love reading Tosha's take on life. She always manages to open me up more, to life and the Divine. I often read her stories to my mother, to lighten up and brighten her day too. Nothing like spreading the love and light around. Tosha's perspective opens the floodgates even when I feel I'm already in alignment. It's so nice to always be reminded that there is no ceiling on the Grace available to us in every moment. And reading her book when I'm out of sorts is even better 'cause she pops me back in within a page or less. Thank you Tosha for the humanness you bring to the everyday Divine within You that reminds us, through insight and humor who we all are and all that we can be. This book is the perfect gift for all my friends. You just made all my shopping effortless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Life Guidebook, September 8, 2011
Such a great handbook for life. The advice is super and I so enjoyed the writing style ... so clever and beautiful.

Outrageous Openness: Letting the Divine Take the Lead
Outrageous Openness: Letting the Divine Take the Lead by Tosha Silver (Hardcover - June 24, 2014)
$22.00 $13.92