From the Back Cover
Every day consumers are bombarded with advertising and public relations messages. With so many companies competing for limited consumer dollars, how can you get your company's message out? Sometimes, a successful PR stunt is just what the doctor ordered! Can We Do That?! looks at real-life PR stunts that will blow your mind and inspire you to think nontraditionally and find new and creative ways to get your company noticed.
PR Guru Peter Shankman chronicles some of the most ridiculous, outrageous, and possibly crazy PR stunts of all time. Wading through the silliness to get to the root of why some stunts work and some don't, Shankman offers a funny and insightful look at what it takes to win the game of PR. You'll learn how and why:
- A stolen Yoo-Hoo truck became a promotional and media relations coup
- RegisterFree.com's "Free Hour" promotion was so successful it virtually shut down Internet access on the East Coast for nine hours
- More than 100 CEOs, dot.com workers, and media figures jumped out of a plane in the name of brand visibility
- A small yarn shop in upstate New York caught on with hip city dwellers interested in eating their sweaters
- And more outrageous ideas!
Shankman looks at these and many more case studies and provides the historical background and follow-up needed to fully gauge their success. But most important, Can We Do That?! shows you how to develop effective PR campaigns on your own. Getting noticed is no easy task, especially for small businesses. This handy guide to guerrilla PR explores the tactics and stunts that workand shows you how to apply them to your own business without busting your budget.