Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on September 3, 2013
OMG! I've scribbled away on every sheet of paper that I've ever had in front of me. No pen, pencil or crayon has ever survived in my immediate vicinity. And this book NOURISHES the desire to color and doodle!. Oh, I really wish I could rewind the clock decades to when I had a single digit age, to a lazy, sunny day with nothing better to do, a coffee can full of pencils and a sharpener and all the blue freezie-pops I could eat, and this amazing coloring book in front of me. This is sheer genius, printed and shared with the world. Inspired. Brilliant. Genius. Seriously, this is something to be treasured. Thank you, Souris, for this amazing book. It's gonna get destroyed. And then I'll get another and another, for all the kids on my xmas list.
33 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2014
I'm a 16 year old with a very artistic and creative mind and I went searching for a coloring book to not only color, but to provide me with inspiration for my own artwork. The cover for this book is what grabbed my attention. It looks like EXACTLY what I like to doodle and observe. The sample of this book on Amazon only had a few pictures to judge, but the reviews promised a book full of beautiful artwork to improve upon with color.

When I got the book, I excitedly opened it up and soaked in all the beautiful artwork.

Now some of the art in this book is too good to color than I tore it out and hung it on my wall, while some other pieces are too complicated to color without fine tip art products. And of course, if you've read other reviews, there are two pages of just black ink. But the rest of the book is perfect for coloring and really lets you add your own touch to other artist's work.

The book is amazing and creative and a very good idea, if there was ever another collection of works like these I would by the book in a heartbeat.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
I originally bought this book for my nine year old daughter but after looking at it I think I am going to keep it for myself. I am not an expert on the contemporary art 'scene' (I am not as hip as I once thought I was) but this book is a great primer for what is happening right now in art. The diversity of the works in this book are amazing! Pieces from graphic designers, cartoonists, street artists, and illustrators are included. I especially like the way that the author left the back side of the works blank except for the authors name and web page. That has been a coloring book pet peeve of mine ever since I was a kid. I have taken the time to explore some of the artists through their web pages and I am astounded at two things. First, I love seeing the artist's work the way that THEY decided to color it and I love learning more about each artist and seeing other examples of their work.

I teach middle school and I am going to have an opportunity to use this book in a few ways. I teach an elective to 7th and 8th graders, it is basically art for people who aren't artists. This book will be a tremendous resource for me to plan a unit on what is happening in art right now. Also, have you ever given a 7th grader crayons and just let them color? I never have but I am eager to give my students examples of contemporary art from this book to color as I teach them about specific artists or styles. What a great learning tool for me AND the students.

Looks like I am gong to be buying a few of these books for my students. Can I get a bulk discount? :-)
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2013
This is one of the most unique items I've ever seen - it is a coloring book on one hand, but yet, it is interesting and cool enough to be a coffee table book in which guests will have countless coversations about. It is literally a coloring book where each page is drawn from a different prominent or hip underground artist. What a great idea! We leave ours on our coffee table with a cup of crayons so guests can have fun and color at thier leisure. Makes a great gift! Thank you for thinking of this!
on February 6, 2014
I bought this for my 12 year old cousin who loved an "outside the box" coloring book I got her little sister, but to whom I wanted to give something a little more grown up. Many gorgeous illustrations of many different styles. Something for everyone. The cover and paper seem to be very high quality. There is also only one picture on a page with nothing on the back but the artist and other information, making coloring with markers a great option.. I'm thinking about getting one for myself as well. However, I felt the need to remove 2 of the pages for concerns my aunt wouldn't find them appropriate for her preteen. I don't support censorship but 2 of them were very dark and I would suggest you look through the pages before gifting it to a young person, particularly someone else's child. Otherwise, it's a really cool and good quality coloring book, especially for lovers of contemporary art. I was so pleased to see pieces by Keith haring and other loved artists I recognized. A great mix of thoughtful and whimsical art for any type of coloring mood you are in. Much more interesting than a book by just one artist.
on December 1, 2013
If you're good with your kids coloring in rainbows and cowboys, there's plenty out there for you. But if you like the idea of exposing your children to art and inspiring their imaginations, then this the only game in town. Even if there were other options, it would be hard to beat the extensive list of well-curated artists contributing to this collection. It's more than a coloring book. It's art on which your kids are meant to scribble all over.
on October 26, 2014
Like many other reviewers, many of the coloring pages are excellent. They are beautifully drawn, only on one side of the page for more coloring fun, and printed on good paper (not the newsprint feel of children's coloring books). There is a wide variety of fun drawings to color. However, there are some items that are entirely uncolorable. For instance, there is a sheet of pure black, and another with a huge black rectangle and a thin border that you could potentially color. Another is a blown up photograph with blurry lines and realistically nothing to color in. I'd like for the curator of these works to really consider that this is meant to be colored and to refine what is accepted into this coloring book.
on September 6, 2014
Cute idea, poor execution. Whether you buy it as an art book or a coloring book — and I was open to either/both — "Outside the Lines" is poorly curated and poorly manufactured. The binding is flimsy, the pages are cheap quality paper, and the inside margin is way too narrow to view the pages comfortably, let alone rip them out for coloring. The curating choices are a mix-mash of subjects and styles, mostly leaning toward edgy art by artists working in popular media (as opposed to exhibiting fine artists): musicians and poster artists, graffiti and agit pop artists, comic book and zine illustrators, toy and video game designers.

Which would be fine, but with no larger theme or subject pulling the project together, the end result feels clumsy and weak, being too clean and processed to work like an 80s punk comic or an issue of Juxtapoz, yet too haphazard to work as a coherent collection of images. Several contributions don't work at all in the coloring book format: photographs and subtly toned colored pencil work that are completely unsuitable Photoshopped into coloring pages; and a work of anti-art consisting of black ground. That said there are many, many good pieces which do work, but they are lost and cheapened by the ones that don't in this massive 200+ page book.

So I am left wondering, what is the point of this book? If the point is to showcase the talents of individual artists, then it doesn't work, because the contributors are not well served by having their art presented out of context. If the point is practical use as a coloring book, it doesn't work because the inside margins are too tight for coloring and too many of the works make for poor coloring, anyway.
on October 6, 2013
This coloring book is great for the young artist, or just for the older artist that loves to play. Great buy! I purchased 5 for presents.
on September 6, 2013
WOW! With over 100 pages of original work from various artists, it's a great way to introduce your little one(s) to art. The drawings are varied in theme and style. From funky dragons to avant garde hippos to a little girl riding a giraffe, it's sure to spark imaginations. Every page is a new experience and takes you into a different artist's world. It's sure to inspire your tyke or yourself to doodle and sketch as well as color.