5.0 out of 5 stars Outsmarting Google
Published on June 3, 2011 by Gail Rodgers

1.0 out of 5 stars Average to below average SEO tutorial
*** WARNING ***
At least 8 of the five star reviews for this book (as of the date of my review) look like put up jobs. Those eight reviews are almost certainly employees of the publisher or friends of the author, if not the author himself using alternate accounts. This is a tactic which many of us find disgusting, and I won't recommend that you buy this book under...
Published on June 2, 2011 by Brent Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Outsmarting Google, June 3, 2011
This review is from: Outsmarting Google: SEO Secrets to Winning New Business (Que Biz-Tech) (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Many people have a website, an ecommerce site and a blog or two. But how do you get the attention you want and need? You especially need search engine attention if you are using your website or ecommerce site to earn money. If you aren't getting noticed (i.e. you aren't showing up in the first page or two of the search engines), you may be blaming the economy, the war, politicians, PMS or the phase of the moon. But really when it comes down to it, are YOU doing what you need to, to receive search engine attention and especially Google's attention? This book tells you what to look for in your site and how to correct things so that you can progressively increase your ranking when someone searches for one of your keywords. This is a very practical book written for normal speaking people as opposed to a book written in techno-geek-speak. After reading the book, I immediately sat down to figure out what I could do to further the cause of my website, store and blog and you should too.

My only problem with the book itself was that the examples/illustrations were too small and I needed a magnifier to see and understand them. I would have also liked to see a simple step-by-step "to do" list at the end of the book as a easy guide to be sure you are doing what you need to do and keep your priorities straight. Then I realized that the Table of Contents takes care of that need fairly well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Ideas To Consider For Search Engine Optimization, June 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own a business that relies on having excellent search engine optimization (SEO). I'm anything but an expert in search engine optimization, but others in my company are. I read this book so that I would better understand some of the techniques and so I can understand the answers to the questions I ask, those answers that make my head swim and usually make me really sorry I ever brought up the subject. I don't talk the language even though I know a little.

I hear stories about how people have tried less than ethical techniques and temporarily raised their rankings, before getting booted. I wanted to understand that better, and this book does a good job with that.

The first few pages of the book had me thinking that the author sees things the way I do. Then, I just had to check out some of the many links. Fascinating! In fact, my plan for the day changed because I got caught up in exploring some of the ideas.

The tech people that I know tend to debate things. They like to blow each others theories and techniques out of the water, just for fun. They get great joy in finding a hole in someone else's theories. There's plenty of opportunity for debate and discussion here for those who want to do that. For me, I read the book with an open mind, knowing that we are doing many things right, and wondering if there is new information available or if maybe we need to review some things that we haven't looked at for a while.

Some of the content of the book just reaffirmed what I already knew, some of it made me rethink some things, and a couple of ideas were brand new. There was one that I intend to pursue, and if it works out, it will be well worth the time I spent reading, even if some of it did make my head hurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make this your SEO bible, June 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like almost anything in life, there is a lot of misinformation about SEO. Evan Bailyn, the author, has written an easy to understand, comprehensive, at times humorous, complete guide to Search Engine Optimization.

Because so many people want to take shortcuts and scam the search engines, Google and the other search engines go to great lengths to keep their ranking methods secret. His advice is quite simple, you will not outsmart Google. To optimize for the search engines, you need to understand what Google wants, a general idea of how they arrive at their search rankings and work within that framework.

According to Bailyn, there are five ingredients to Google Optimization. They are: Keyword selection, The Meta Page Tag, Links, the URL structure and Time. He goes on to say that trust is the major currency in the Google ranking scheme. Trust, in Google's eyes is determined by the number and quality of incoming links.

Each of the elements of SEO is discussed in detail. The language is clear and simple to understand. It is not filled with geek language that will not mean anything to the average reader. In the book, he goes into great detail in telling you how to recognize good links and bad or undesirable links. He also explains how to "reel in links".

One of the elements of SEO is time. You cannot gain first page ranking right out of the box. Google wants to see some time pass before they begin to trust your site.

Bailyn also give away his "nuclear football" secret for building links. This insight is worth way more than the price of the book.

While the point of the book is to teach SEO, he realizes that it takes time to really get to where you want to be with SEO. Therefore there is a lot of great information about Google Adwords and how these can and should be used to supplement your SEO efforts.

There is an interesting and enlightening chapter about search operators. There are some neat searches you can perform with the various search operators that will give you some great insights into your sites. You can also use the search operators as competitive research tools on your competitors sites.

As mentioned before there is a lot of misinformation about SEO. There is an entire chapter devoted to de-bunking Google Optimization myths.

The book is all about White Hat strategy. But the book gives some examples of Black Hat strategy and the consequences of engaging in it.

Google is not the only search engine. Bing and Yahoo make up the other two major search engines. And their formulas are different than Google's. So there is a chapter on the differences and how to optimize for Bing and Yahoo.

It does no good to drive lots of traffic to your site unless you can convert. So there are some great tips on optimizing your site for conversion once you get visitors to the site.

Finally Bailyn take a look at the future. The way he sees things, social media and search will move closer together. Google will be forced to bring some of the features of social media into search. The look at the future is very interesting.

If you are looking for a great book which will give you the straight scoop on SEO, in an interesting and informative manner, this is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me understand the "Big Picture"..., January 23, 2012
The relentless and elusive pursuit to reach the top of Google's search engine rankings for popular keywords has always fascinated me. I've read and studied many search engine optimization books over the years. I've spent a lot of time reading and posting threads in several popular online webmaster forums as well. All of that information (and mis-information) was swirling around in my head. So, when I found this book, I couldn't resist buying it. Especially with a title like "Outsmarting Google".

I'm glad I bought it. I couldn't put it down after I started reading it. The first five chapters alone helped me to better understand the "big picture". I was already familiar with a lot of the terminology and even some of the concepts that Evan Bailyn discusses. But for me, it was the WAY he presented the material that really helped to connect the dots. I'm about to launch a new website using the techniques I've learned in this book, and I'm really excited to see the end result. This one is going to be a nuclear football!

Perhaps the biggest compliment I can pay the author is that I've never reviewed a book online before. I have to say that this one is a "must have" for your SEO arsenal.

I just noticed that Evan has another book titled "Outsmarting Social Media" that is scheduled for release in June 2012. I'll be buying that one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Business Advice -, June 9, 2011
This is a fantastic, hands-on book, clearly written with great tips and pragmatic advice to get your name in the public's hands.

Evan Bailyn is a super star and knows how to create business success. He is teaching others how to do it. Step by step. So now, what's the excuse. Evan also has lectures and workshops all over the country, offering more advice on business.

He's young, dynamic and a business leader to watch. His method for Outsmarting google was brilliant, and efficient.

Kudos to anyone who buys this book and uses the principles in it, to get their company or their client's company on the right track!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Best Book On SEO, February 2, 2012
This book puts SEO into human language. Not only do I have my own websites, but managing one is what I do for a living. The mystery part of things has always been understanding all the in's and out's of ranking well in Google. Evan's book breaks things down into simple to understand language with great analogies to real life. He feeds it to you bite by bite so that you understand it the first time.

I bought the book for my kindle and have highlited and referred to many of the passages again. It was so informative that I sent my sister a copy for her Kindle to use to work on her website.

In addition to reading the book, I was also fortunate enough to correspond via email with Evan. He graciously answered all of my questions and truly helped nail down some things that I could share with my boss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Simple Ideas that Work, Motivational, January 11, 2012
When I started reading Outsmarting Google I knew very little about SEO. I guess I knew the general idea behind Seo (link building, long tail keywords, etc) but I didn't know where to start in implementing something that would work. I own a pest control company and our website is now 4 months old. I have been using Outsmarting Google as my personal SEO bible, my copy has notes all all over it, highlighted words, paragraphs, etc. Our site has progressed dramatically since starting implementing Evan Bailyns simple methods. When I started reading the book, our site was not listed in the top 100 listings on google for our main keywords, now OUR SITE IS LISTED 12TH, and soon I feel we will crack into the top ten. We are also closing a lot of accounts via our Adwords campaign which we have transformed according to suggestions in Chapter 6. Even if a businesses owner doesn't plan on doing SEO him or herself, I would still recommend this book to give a base knowledge of the subject, that way at least one will be able to hold a somewhat intelligent conversation on SEO(I have since spoken to many Search Engine Optizmizers and it was clear that their knowledge about the subject was far inferior to Bailyn's). Its also important to learn what types of things to stay away from, detrimental "black hat" SEO methods that seem to be thrown in one's face all over the internet. As a small business owner, who spends money into many different forms of advertising/marketing, the best 25.00 i have spent so far was purchasing this book. Highly Recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of the SEO ideas, January 11, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit, before reading this book, I was prejudiced against it, and would expect to dismiss the content like so many other "SEO techniques". However, I was wrong, and the book actually contained really good research, and solid advice.

The author is not an expert of web mining, nor he has implemented algorithms in this area. However, he seems to have studied the behavior of Google, and particularly PageRank. And, even without going into eigen-vectors, and linear algebra, he is still able to grasp the main idea of the methods employed by Google, and provides techniques to be ranked preferably in this particular domain.

The ideas discussed in the book are for "white hat" optimizers, meaning, he tries to teach techniques to improve your site, and organically increase your rank on Google listings. Contrary to the "black hat" techniques, where you try to game the system for short term gain, but missing on bigger opportunities. He only discusses them in a chapter, so that you stay away from these, and from the people trying to sell those.

If you actually implement the advice: nice, clean looking pages, with good link structure, and overall pleasing design, with lots of outside incoming links, from trusted sources, you not only will have a high ranking on Google, but you'll also have an actually good site, which you can be proud of.

I can easily recommend this book for site owners, and designers, who would like to make a good impression on the Web. I have almost no complaints about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Words: Nuclear Football, November 30, 2011
"The overall goal of the nuclear football is to attract as much Google traffic as possible from long tailed keyword searches." What a BRILLIANT concept! The comparison of a new website trying to attract traffic like a magnet brought to my attention exactly how much content and what variety of content one needs for their business's site. I not only read this book cover to cover, highlighted, underlines, and starred certain sections, but I also passed it along to my marketing team to get their thoughts on what we could do better for our own website. Evan Bailyn found a remarkable way of taking ideas and then step-by-step detailing how to execute them to show real results for a business or any other website. His concepts are simple to remember, yet extremely detailed to help those new to marketing strategies and SEO. Bailyn ends with such a motivational message, "be a part of that 1% that understands what's going on so that you can apply it to your own business." After reading this book, I am confident that myself and my marketing team can achieve the goal of being among that one percent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this Book!, February 26, 2012
This book is great! If you are looking to get your page ranked #1 with out paying some crazy amounts of money this book is for you. He covers a great deal of information that will help everyone from novice to expert.Strictly White-Hat SEO that won't get you banned.

Outsmarting Google: SEO Secrets to Winning New Business (Que Biz-Tech)
$24.99 $19.15