5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and charming with heart
NBC's Outsourced has had a bumpy roller coaster of a life. From premature assumptions before it even premiered to becoming NBC's highest rated new scripted series to getting stuck on the bubble awaiting its fate.

Published on June 17, 2011 by LJDB

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfair
Published on July 19, 2011 by MAB

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and charming with heart, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)

The comedy about an Indian call center for an American novelties company could be the biggest underdog story of the season outside of Dillon, Texas. Despite getting shuffled to a difficult timeslot (after doing very well in its original) and continuing to get unwarranted and baseless criticism from critics and some viewers alike, Outsourced forged ahead to grow into one of television's most charming series.

Outsourced doesn't drop a joke every other second like other shows may attempt to do, but you can't help but keep a smile on your face the entire half hour. Each episode always builds up to the satisfying punchline at the end and that is very refreshing.

The series is also relatable, a workplace comedy that uses its different and unique setting to its advantage.

Being set in India only adds to what makes the series so good. Outsourced puts a face behind those calls you make about products or support. They've managed to touch on how call centers are important and meaningful jobs for the locals in India (and the Philippines as well).

And those faces and personalities as just like you or me. They may have a different culture, faith, clothing, and food, but they go through the same things in everyday life; jobs, family, friends, romance. It's all there and with a talented, charming ensemble cast to bring it all to life.

Going against possibly what half of America thinks about the show (without even watching an episode), Outsourced is charming. The characters and cast are charming. You can't help but like these characters, each one of them contributing to the episode every week.

And maybe the most surprising, Outsourced has a lot of heart.

If you want a sample of just how good the series can be, look no further than the two episodes NBCU has submitted for Emmy consideration: Episode 11, "A Sitar is Born" and Episode 17, "Todd's Holi War."

Both are not only the funniest and most fun episodes of the season, but they are perfect showcases for the wonderfully talented cast. And one of the most refreshingly unique aspects of the series is that it isn't mean-spirited or cynical.

Outsourced is fresh, different, sweet, charming and one of the most enjoyable comedies on TV today

4.0 out of 5 stars "Jolly Vindaloo Day! May your life be filled with flavor.", June 21, 2011
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
Well, they went and dropped the axe on another show I liked. I'm starting to think it's personal. Based on a romantic comedy pseudo-Bollywood film that flew under the radar in 2009, OUTSOURCED was a promising new show from NBC. It offers a smile-inducing glance at life in Mumbai, India. It's what happens when Todd Dempsy (Ben Rappaport) relocates there to keep his job at the Mid-America Novelties company. In Mumbai, Todd heads up a call center manned by rustic Hindi employees who are unanimously in the dark when it comes to the American way of life. East meets West in a culture clash, differing philosophies and world views collide, and all this brought into a sort of perspective by the presence of plastic vomit and whoopie cushions.

Todd Dempsy - stranger in a strange land - is our eyes and ears, our point of view character, and we go thru his acclimation period and his initial cluelessness regarding the do's and don'ts in India. He inadvertently violates pretty much all the social rules, and his misadventures are written well enough that they play for good laughs. Not that he comes off as a bumbly clown. He's more like a regular dude who skipped orientation day and is now paying for it.

I was wondering whether the cast would be able to maintain the funny. I was dreading that one-trick pony, which is the humor in the culture clash. But the writers have made these characters so quirky and appealing enough that what happens to them matters to the viewer. Todd's call center crew is comprised of oddballs, but personable oddballs, and so credit the very likable Indian actors. And they're not even as peculiar as Todd's new American pal, Charlie. Dietrick Bader, who is pretty terrific, injects some serious weird into "Charlie." Here's him expounding on how the locals try to fool foreigners about their holidays: "For Elephant Day, my workers tricked me into painting my face and walking around with the pockets pulled out of my pants. It was all fun and games 'til I whipped out the trunk." Charlie is kinda creepy, as well.

Any sitcom worth its salt would have to have a love story and the more unrequited, the better. In Mumbai, Todd becomes torn between two women: the carefree Australian babe, Tonya (Pippa Black), and the beautiful Indian girl, Asha (Rebecca Hazlewood), who is undergoing the process of an arranged marriage. At this point, this romantic thread can go anywhere. Todd initially falls for Asha, but Tonya is so winsome.

I love the constant shifts in perspective. One moment we look at a situation from Todd's viewpoint. The next, we're presented with his employees' side of things, and there's a jarring dissimilarity. One day Todd cautions his crew about Black Friday and how things can rapidly get out of hand with the pushing and the shoving and the rioting, and the crew laughs at him. One worker even scoffs: "You call that a riot?" And then, en route to a team building retreat, the workers are dismayed by Todd's sheer inability to muscle his way on board a train (mostly because they have to keep getting off to wait for the next one). And so we're reminded of India's vast population. It's tiny, throwaway touches like that that I relish. The western viewer gets an education AND some good laughs. Those uninitiated will get exposed to Bollywood, that movie industry woven into the very fabric of Indian culture (You'll hear the cast drop names like "Hrithik Roshan" and "Aishwarya Rai" and if you don't know who those are, you are missing out big). We pick up social cues such as that kissing in public is very frowned upon and that it's okay for dudes to dance with each other in a club, although I personally don't think it's ever okay for dudes to dance with each other anywhere (sorry, guess I'm not open-minded on everything). Each week explores that irresistible fish-out-of-water theme. Each week delivers offbeat dialogue and madcap scrapes and a stretching out of that "Is it Asha or is it Tonya?" thread. I was also waiting for the episode which never came, in which Charlie gets put in prison. He's funny. But way creepy.

Favorite episodes are "Jolly Windaloo Day" (fooled into thinking it's a national holiday, Todd gives his workers the day off), "Touched by an Angelo" (the call center receives a shipment of risque novelty items), "Bolloween" (Todd tries to explain the concept of Halloween and then throws a Halloween costume party), and "Training Day" (the staff go on a retreat while Tonya gives Charlie pointers on how to pick up chicks). Parvesh Cheena as the chubby, good-natured Gupta is damn lovable. And I'm sorry, but one of the characters - Manmeet - has a name that just makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it.

NBC, you guys rather suck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfair, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
Pretty good show if a bit uneven and one that came in for some unfair treatment. Once they were done with the easy food jokes it settled down into a clever and warm groove. As a (non Indian) minority I can understand the need to avoid crude cultural stereotypes but clearly many people have a hard time with ethnic humor and I think many critics had made up their minds early to hate this show. Many seem to think that any form of ethnic humor borders on racism which is hardly the case, it all depends on context and application. I would be interested to know if anyone of Indian background found it offensive, I thought that after a shaky start they avoided the easy stuff and got down to a decent character driven show. Again, I'm not going to say that Outsourced was a masterpiece but I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Cult Classic, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
Unlike many critics who thought the actors must be cringing at the lines and stereotypes (on both sides), I believe they enjoyed every episode, every scene, every line. This unusual and thoughtfully entertaining show dared to take a funny but plausible look at cultural stereotypes and was able to laugh at them, both the real ones and the imagined ones. Upon looking a bit deeper, this office setting was not so different from others in the past in terms of characters: the one who doesn't know how awkward he is, the shy one with a personality waiting to burst forth, the good looking guy struggling to make it work with anyone, the model who isn't as perfect as she seems. But to place all this in India with the culturally ignorant American trying to cope is brilliant. As an American who lived in India for three years, I can attest to the authenticity of the scenario. Well written, well cast, this season will become a cult classic and the series will be sorely missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took me by surprise - This show was terrific!, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
When I heard last summer that NBC was creating a show about a call center in India I thought they (NBC) were crazy. In a down economy in the US, this incredibly stupid TV network (and let's face it, NBC is the worst network) was going to rub the outsourcing of American jobs in Americans faces. I had no intention of watching the series at all.

Then, after watching the show's lead-in, I didn't change the channel. I left the show on as background noise. I kept looking up from my laptop after hearing certain things on the show and by the end of the first show. By the time it was over I had to rewind and watch it again, only this time pay attention. The first episode hooked me. Turns out you CAN make an endearing, funny, and smart TV show about a call center in India. Who knew?

Outsourced is one of those shows that truly make you care about the characters. The writing was top-notch, the acting was terrific, and the story lines were consistently funny and poignant. In all seriousness, this was my favorite NEW show of the season. So naturally, I expected it to be cancelled... Heck, I expected it to be cancelled by its 5th episode, then by its 10th. When it made it to 22 episodes I thought maybe, just maybe, this show would wind up being a "Jim Bulushi" show, or "King of Queens", shows that don't make many waves but are consistently renewed because the cost was in line and the audience, while not huge, was good enough and always there... But, sadly no, it came down to the wire and NBC cancelled the show. And not a peep from the audience. I suppose it didn't matter to people.

I came to Amazon for weeks looking for a release date and preorder option for Outsourced on DVD. I'm buying this so that in the future I can watch these wonderful episodes and wonder what would have happened to these great characters.

And finally, if you don't already know, look for the movie from a few years back called "Outsourced", the show is based on the movie. Same characters, same premise, and some of the same personalities. I found the movie on Netflix. It was a very pleasant surprise, the movie was good, and I'd never heard about it before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Cast for Outsourced, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is my review of the SHOW and not the DVD release due in September.
Outsourced had to have one of the finest cast ensembles on current comedy television. The show seemed to balance itself between being a comedy, and showcasing a tiny bit of culture from India...just touching on the merits of traditional-vs-modern styles of behavior from both sides of the world.
The comedy aspects were what one could expect from modern-day American tastes...some of which were not my own taste...however, what kept me really coming back to watch this show week after week were the heart-felt, endearing, and rich characterizations brought to the people in the show by what must be the most underrated cast performances on TV.
The face of the show is the unsophisticated American in the middle of India, learning the culture differences the hard way in the midst of an outsourced office. The employees are learning too of some American culture, (though not our best), and the dance of comedy-of-errors begins. But wait...there is something else in this show...feeling. Real feeling. Some would say hart, or even darn good acting.
The actors in Outsourced are so talented that it pains me that their abilities were not seen or appriciated by the mainstream. I felt a sincerety that managed to amuse and draw me closer to the characters, and left me wanting to know more about them.
Each character was a true, human form of a type, rather than a shallow parody of same...for example, the 'hard-line' manager, Rajiv, was not entirely without sweetness and concern for his fellow countrymen's well being, despite the class differences that permitted him to "talk down" to his subordinates.
This sort of deep characterization is not new to cinema, but to American comedy television it is certainly a rare occurance, and this show was brimming with such talent.
There were moments where the show teetered in the 'other' direction of it's fellow sitcoms...particularly when Diedrich Bader (of the Drew Carey show...which I really liked), was in the scene, of being a little to silly or over the top. However, they never lost sight of the real charm and draw of the show, and that was the stories of each individual and the utterly enchanting way each actor warmed his or her way into our hearts, beconing us to just walk with them into a little realm of lovely stories about lovely people.
I have definitely pre-ordered this gem of comedy television; I am truly sorry to see it end prematurely and I only hope and pray that the outstanding talents of the actors in this series will find a home in the industry that will allow them to continue to do what so little of the industry does...entertain us with joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good One Down the Drain, September 20, 2011
W. Moyer (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
Another NBC disaster, how many is that now ? So very little makes me laugh, or amuses me on Network TV , and I find myself relying on the basic cable channels. Outsourced was the best that they have to offer in the last ten years and now it's gone. I will order it on DVD and with each viewing I will ponder just what keeps those poor fools at NBC Employed . As far as making the country look bad because of the outsourcing of jobs, this happens because we let it, and maybe outsourcing the top jobs at NBC might be one Hell of a Good Idea.
I will miss Todd and Charlie, and the whole crew at the call center , they were a great crew and kept me laughing. There was so much more material to be used, and this was truly a great show. I have tried to watch 30Rock, and The Office, and even Parks and Recreation , and have been unable to last the programs out, they are simply boring. I hope one of the cable networks pick up this show , it has far to go. Next stop, India.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series! Should never have been cancelled!, November 20, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
The cancellation of Outsourced is just one more example of the utter stupidity of the major TV networks. The Networks have a long history of cancelling unique and promising shows in favor of the same old obnoxious "formula" shows. (Remember, these are the same idiots who cancelled the original Star Trek and Firefly!)
Having said that, Outsourced was one of the funniest and most creative shows on TV in years! And no, it's not offensive! People in India were proud of the show and were sorry to see it cancelled.
If you missed the show during its short duration, you really need to get this DVD series. I have them all saved on my DVR, but if I ever have a need to erase them, I'll probably buy the DVD set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cut down before its time., November 17, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
"They" would have you believe this show was in poor taste. And they are wrong. The only ones with poor taste here are those who couldn't see Outsourced as the funny and charming l'il show that it was. The entire cast were great, and the show was really hitting its stride when it ended.

For anyone thinking about a purchase but worried that it was cancelled, I will just say that the end of the season should leave you happy and satisfied, unlike most shows that annoyingly still have a cliffhanger finale even when they know they probably aren't being picked up.

...Oh, and to the Hollywood big-shots who run everything; please delete all the DVDs of Hogan's Heroes and M*A*S*H, as they make light of a serious situation and I choose to be offended. Thank you. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T BELIEVE ITS GONE, August 13, 2011
This review is from: Outsourced: The Complete Series (DVD)
I enjoyed every moment of this show. The characters were hilariously different from the "seen it ALL"before series" that I am constantly bombarded with. Will not watch another, cops, CSI, hospital, college or HS show (Glee not included!) This show was wonderful. Gupta you were magic!

Outsourced: The Complete Series
Outsourced: The Complete Series by Ben Rappaport (DVD - 2011)
$19.98 $13.10