5.0 out of 5 stars Over in the Faction..., March 1, 2011
Faction: fact and fiction mixed together; Marianne Berkes has done it again. I love this book! There is so much to learn in this beautiful little rhyming book. It never ceases to amaze me how much I didn't know about animals when I read her "Over in the...books." But this Australia one takes the cake. Some of these animals I had never even heard of! Oh boy, as a teacher/librarian there are so many jumping off places for each grade level. Of course for K and 1 there are counting lessons and rhyming lessons to do. Second and third can learn about unique animals, baby names and unusual plurals while using dictionaries and encyclopedias to find information. And, the gears are working for really cool digital reports prepared by fourth and fifth grades on the facinating animals and various ecosystmes of Australia. This just scratches the surface. Hats off to Marianne and the marvelous illustrator Jill Dubin. Oh, and don't forget to read all the interesting tidbits in the back pages on animals, writing and illustrating.:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Over in Australia...Amazing Animals Down Under, April 15, 2011
My students love all the books by Marianne Berkes. She makes learning fun! The kids don't even realize they're reading a non-fiction text. Her colorful word choice and use of rhyme keeps them spellbound as they enjoy and become engaged with all kinds of scientific information. Try all of her books if you want to fill your child's head with knowledge and have them come back asking for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you know what a brolga is?, February 25, 2011
Do you know what a brolga is? I surely didn't until I read this book. Providing both fascinating information about different animals in Australia and fun reinforcement in learning how to count, author Marianne Berkes tells how one crocodile hatchling snaps, two little wallabys hop, three baby koalas munch, four platypups (platypus pups) splash, five rainbow lorikeets chit, six wombat joeys dig, seven sugar gliders lap, eight brolga chicks dance, nine bilbies slurp, and ten emus zig. By the way, the brolga is a kind of tall bird in the crane family.
Over in Australia uses cute rhymes that children will adore and is filled with gorgeous illustrations by Jill Dubin. In addition, at each opening there is a surprise hidden animal to find! You might just see a kookaburra, although I don't know if he's sitting in an old gum tree. Also in the back are several pages of activities and further information about the animals. Other books by Berkes that follow the "Over in the Meadow" pattern are Over in the Ocean, Over in the Jungle, both of which I have read and reviewed, and Over in the Arctic. Dawn Publications is dedicated to inspiring in children a deeper understanding and appreciation for all life on earth, and further resources for teachers and parents can be downloaded from their website.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing animal down under, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under (Paperback)
they love this book have read it many times ,my kids are big readers have started them from a very early age my seven year old has read from school this tear over 300 books every day gets moor to read

5.0 out of 5 stars we love it!, August 16, 2013
my parents are living in Australia for 2 years on business so I have purchased Australia books for my 2 girls- now 5 and almost 3. Purchased this last year and they've loved it ever since! I read it in my daughters preschool class last year and all the kids enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done!, June 6, 2013
This review is from: Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under (Paperback)
This is how all books should be. Everything about this book is done just right. The rhyming and counting are there along with fun, unique animals and vocabulary. But then, when you think you're done, there is a large seek and find map of Australia AND directions to go back and find the hidden creatures on each page. Then, there are non-fiction information pages for the kids to learn all about the animals they have just become curious about. It's the kids of book the kids will revisit and put into "heavy rotation" for read-a-louds as my husband says.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under (Paperback)
I bought this book for my niece's birthday because she loves Koala's. She is always asking me to read this book when I come over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes learning fun, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under (Paperback)
This book is super cute and makes learning fun. Great book and the illustrations are amazing. A+++ in my book (pun intended).

5.0 out of 5 stars over in Australia, May 20, 2013
Jannette Rumph (Morrison, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under (Paperback)
I bought this book and others for my grand daughter after we came home from a trip to New Zealand and Australia. I wanted the children to see the different kinds of animals they might se in Australia. this is a very sweet book and the children have enjoyed us reading it to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book for young children to learn about the animals of Australia. The animals are featured in a counting format so that the younger child can learn their numbers. The back of the book features a page with information about each of the animals in the book. The illustrations are a nice change from the usual.

Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under
Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under by Marianne Collins Berkes (Paperback - March 1, 2011)
$8.95 $8.07