Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 22, 2013
I purchased this book several years ago when I was desperate to attempt to find some sort of peace in my life. I bought an entire handful that day. For some reason I never got to this book. Having read through it today, I am very, very glad that I didn't.

Direct quotes:

"We have no guarantee that life will be one big, joyous party. All of human history and personal experience argue against that type of thinking The struggles of life make us strong and mature...Once I do away with the myth of mental illness, I immediately gain hope." (pg 70-71)

"Anxiety and depression are not diseases. They are not illnesses. They are thinking processes." (pg 72)

"Some severely depressed individuals have a lowered serotonin level. This drop has caused researchers to suggest that the lack of serotonin caused the depression. ... But the question still remains unanswered: Does a drop in serotonin actually cause depression? Let me lay a little bit of foundation. As you read any studies about this subject, use your critical thinking skills. The reports are full of words that are often misleading..." (pg 90) Note that he begins this chapter by discussing, in detail, the numerous old ways that insanity / mental disorders were diagnosed in the past. In short, Phillips implies that there is no such thing as chemical imbalances, and that neurotransmitters have no bearing on humanity's ability to function.

"Before doctors and psychologists created a host of psychological terms like 'neurosis' and 'psychosis,' how did people deal with difficulty and tragedy?...
*Keep busy
*Get on with life
*Don't dwell on it
*Get out of the house
...
*Start helping others who are worse off.
*Read the book of Psalms" (pg 110)

The book is also filled with plenty of other hateful statements that are parading as helpful statistics:

"*Adult men who have had same-sex relations are five times more likely to commit suicide as heterosexual men.
*Heavy metal music and suicide share a strong tie.
* Obese women are 55% more likely to attempt suicide than women of normal weight." (pg 132)

This book also emphasizes Christianity and uses numerous examples from the Bible. That is perfectly fine; that did not offend me. However, this does alienate a significant portion of individuals suffering from depression and anxiety.

So basically, what Phillips wants you to believe, is that there is no such thing as true mental illness. Chemical imbalances in the brain aren't real, and you just need exercise, sunshine, Sunday school, and a perfect, hetero-normative lifestyle and POOF!

NOT recommended. NOT helpful. I was going to toss my copy in a box of books being donated to the library, but I plan to destroy it instead.
on February 6, 2011
I purchased this book for a small group of men I lead who struggle with depression. I should have purchased the book and read it before purchasing 7 more books. I am a Christian who has struggled with depression for many years. I am a responsible man who has walked with the Lord for almost 25 years. I have been helped by medication as well as other godly men that I know. Bob Phillips view on medication, in my opinion, is very narrow. Other Christian authors like Archibald Hart, Frank Minirth, and Paul Meier state a need for medication at times. This is not the cure all or fix all. There is personal responsibility and cognitive practices that must go along with other forms of therapy. I do not recommend this book.
on October 22, 2014
Put simply, this book is awful, and truly worse than useless. Phillips promotes his personal view that "mental illness" does not exist, that your suffering (and the cure) is merely a matter of enlightened perception, that all psychotropic medications are a scam perpetrated by greedy and/or deluded doctors and evil big pharm, that brain chemistry is irrelevant, that homosexuals and "obese" women are prone to suicide, and that all sufferers can either think or pray their way out of their suffering. All this backed with no respectable scientific references or solid medical research, except endless fake-sounding anecdotal one-paragraph "case studies". If you are into cloying God talk, biblical quotes, and condescending "think positive" homilies, then this arrogant and dangerous excuse of a book is for you. Your only requirement for complete satisfaction is that you possess the intellect and discernment of a child, because that is the way the author evidently regards his reading audience. Wish I could give zero stars to this mess.
on March 27, 2015
it was a lil disorganized in the way it was put together, seemed like a compilation of several other self help books..nothing new , nothing puts a light bulb or inspires at all...I think 2 stars are generous.
on March 11, 2014
I don't see why this has been given "ONE" star before....
It may not be the BEST out there when it comes to anxiety and depression, but it is in my top 5, for sure.
First, my Anxiety and depression is severe (24/7 with daily panic attacks).....or has been in the past.
Now, I don't take meds and never want to....there are way to many harmful and even fatal toxins in them.
Plus, if you do your research, you will find that there are not that many actual cases of real "mental illness" out there.
Most of the time it has to do with vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies associated with the stuff we call "food" now and days having no nutritional value, from us consuming things that contain "Aspartame" (fake sugars) which attack the neurotransmitters in the brain and cause all kinds of issues, or from other natural things....like Candida or a hormone imbalance (that can be fixed without meds).
Or it's just a great deal of momentary stress that we need help getting through.

With that said, this is an awesome book with great information in it.
I do believe that you shouldn't read this alone for help with anxiety but this alongside another book like "Psycho-Cybernetics" by:Maxwell Maltz or "Stop Worrying About Your Health" by: George Zgourides would be great.
And I still think it deserves 5 stars...
on April 23, 2010
I have been suffering from (bipolar) depression for over thirty years. I have good doctors who supervise my medicine, but still am searching for additional help in my everyday life. I finally located a therapist who I can talk to on a weekly basis, which will be very helpful with helping me to learn how to improve my daily life. I have been reading Bob Phillips book and learning a lot from it about anxiety and depression. His advice and wisdom is invaluable. I have found his spiritual advice most helpful and agree with him wholeheartedly from a biblical point of view. If we apply what Bob Phillips suggests in this excellent book, we can live a life capable of dealing with our anxieties. His advice to apply the Bible's principles at all times and to pursue peace in our hearts and minds is truly wonderful. The book is easy to read, yet very, very interesting. Anyone could apply the advice Bob Phillips has chosen to share with us who are desperately searching for guidance dealing with anxiety and depression. A great learning tool and spiritual inspiration. A knowledgeable, interesting author who speaks truth and wisdom. Thank you Bob Phillips. Wonderfully priced also.
on July 22, 2014
Very difficult to overcome anxiety and major depression disorder that I have suffered for many years. Depression can be dibilitating. Maybe this book will help.
on August 7, 2012
The book is excellant and has help alot. It has various subjects and information. Helpful information. Good reading. Thank you.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2011
I have had this problem most of my life learned alot from reading the book. I am so glad that I did make this purchase.
on April 3, 2015
Wasn't as enjoyable as I expected