5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone going through difficult times, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Overcoming: Discover How to Rise Above and Beyond Your Overwhelming Circumstances in Life (Paperback)
I was given this book last year as a gift and I instantly fell in love with it. Just the title alone, Overcoming: Discover How to Rise Above and Beyond Your Overwhelming Circumstances in Life immediately had my attention. I defiantly wanted to OVERCOME my overwhelming circumstances! I found it to be a very insightful book with lots of hope, encouragement, and wisdom. It’s a must read for anyone going through difficult times. Each chapter begins with a bible verse and ends with a bullet list of “points to ponder”. There is also a scripture reference guide in the back of the book.

Pastor Steve Mays does a very good job at connecting with the reader! Before he gets into the meat and potatoes of each chapter he gives a personal touch by giving a view into his life and connecting each chapter title with a personal story.

Overcoming is full of memorable quotes so you better have your highlighter ready when reading this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming - Uplifting and Encouraging, July 2, 2014
I am finding that "Overcoming" is a great book to have in your teaching library. I love the way Pastor Steve Mays teaches; he makes everything so easy to understand and he leaves you wanting more. I was introduced to his church, Calvary Chapel Southbay here in Gardena, CA, and I was truly amazed with his teaching; hen I returned home I looked to see what books he had written and I came across several, but decided to start within"Overcoming", since I needed help in that area right now, let's just say, I can't put this book down. I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help to Push through Life's Challenges, September 10, 2012
Each day life deals challenges that some people call "problems." Pastor Steve Mays has been dealt more than his fair share yet managed to overcome and thrive in spite of it. In the pages of OVERCOMING, you will gain insights and ready-made encouragement from the Scriptures to handle whatever you are facing. This book tackles thirteen key areas which throw up life barriers and God's Word gives us the tools to overcome. Each chapter is filled with straight-forward insight and instruction. For example in the chapter on overcoming suffering, Mays writes, "The Bible promises us that we will be comforted in our suffering. It does not promise that we will always understand our suffering, nor does it promise that God will deliver us from pain, suffering or even death; but it does promise He will always be with us." (Page 34) Every chapter includes simple personal application questions for the reader called Points to Ponder.

The final pages of OVERCOMING asks, "What are you trying to overcome in your life today? Have you been trying to change but feel like you keep slamming your head against a wall? Do you keep failing? Have you tried every 12-step program, self-help book and positive thinking exercise there is, only to come up short? I want to encourage you to start with the right foundation--a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Only God, working in and through you, can give you the victory of overcoming." (Page 169)

I recommend you read this book with your yellow highlighter in hand--and apply the principles to your everyday life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antidote for depression and suffering, July 19, 2012
J. Amaro (Southern California) - See all my reviews
The beautiful book cover photo is perfectly suited for what follows in the text: how to rise above overwhelming circumstances in life. Pastor Mays continues to live a difficult life with many health issues, so his advice is well founded in his experience, his Biblical knowledge and faith in the Lord. For me, his chapter on Overcoming Suffering was profoundly helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favorite Books, January 7, 2014
I really felt like this book encouraged me in my faith and helped me to keep focused on my goals. I think what's really helpful is to see Pastor Steve give examples of his life of some of the most difficult obstacles that he faced and how God brought him through. The end result is a breath of fresh air and a desire to continue fighting the good fight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, April 20, 2012
I have read all of Pastor Steve Mays' books, and this is yet another wonderful and insightful guide that I would recommend to anyone who is feeling overwhelmed by this world (and who isn't these days) Pastor Steve's writings are always scripture based and come from the perspective of someone who has overcome significant hurdles in his own life.

$14.99 $12.48