5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life....
I will always recall the moment that I came across Dr George Jelinek as the moment that changed my life. Diagnosed with MS at 30 years of age, with a severe initial attack, all of the feedback I received through my neurologist's was bleak and if I was to believe them - out of my control.

What this book did for me was to return that sense of control and more...
Published on November 3, 2010 by Mandy

3.0 out of 5 stars It is OK if you are new to MS and the idea of selective eating to stay well
I chose OK not because the book is in anyway not useful or interesting but rather that I was expecting to get more than what was given in terms of the diet. As for the research it was interesting to read how he came to his conclusions. I do recommend this if you have an MS diagnosis and are looking for ideas on diet alteratives and compliments to treatment.
Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life...., November 3, 2010
This review is from: Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: An Evidence-Based Guide to Recovery (Paperback)

What this book did for me was to return that sense of control and more importantly -hope - the most valuable tools available to anyone fighting this disease.

The proof is in the pudding. It's been nearly 4 years now. I have chosen personally not do the medical treatments available, instead following the diet, Vitamin D, exercise and meditation recommendations in Dr Jelinek's book. My last MRI has shown the disease 'significantly regressing' much to the surprise of my neurologists and GP's and I know through the connections I have made with others using these guidelines that I am only one of many to have such success. Ironically, I have never been fitter or healthier in my life.

My entire family and many of my friends also read the book in order to gain a better understanding of what I was going through, the result being that many of them have also chosen the same diet now seeing what an amazing difference it makes to our levels of health and wellness!

I cannot recommend it enough....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for anyone with MS, November 4, 2010
Professor Jelinek (a medical doctor with MS) provides an extensive review of the scientific research on MS, written in plain English (and with references to all the original research papers). The book covers drug treatments, and also all the diet and lifestyle changes that people with MS can try to help themselves.
I've been following his recommendations for 2 years, and haven't had a relapse in that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely necesity for anyone with MS!!, December 17, 2010
I waited 2 months to get this book from Amazon and it was totally worth it. Prof. Jelinek uses medical studies to prove that lifestyle changes are a very important part of overcoming MS and living an active lifestyle, without disability. He talks about his own experiences with MS and his mother's decline from the disease, as well. He also goes through medical treatments that are currently available and others that may be the future of MS treatment.

I have been following his recommendations and cannot wait for my next MRI. I have decided not to do any of the medications, due to my strong feelings about injections, and my belief that there is truly plenty of proof that there are better ways than the medication, to overcome this disease. Thank you, Dr. George Jelinek, I owe you a great debt. If you have MS, you absolutely owe it to yourself and everyone in your life, to get this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, July 17, 2012
I don't normally do reviews, but after reading this I feel I must. This book was a total life changer for me. Recently diagnosed and left depressed and wondering what kind of life I would lead, I found this book and it has given me real hope. Dr. Jelinek lays out all of the facts about MS and then tells us how we can change our lifestyle through diet, exercise, meditation, etc and lead a long and healthy life. I am a believer. While I have only been on the diet for 2.5 months, I can tell a huge difference. I am almost completely symptom free, without any medications! This book is a must read for anyone suffering from MS. It will change your life if you are willing to stick to the lifestyle changes. It is pretty strict, but the alternative is so much worse. Thank you Dr. Jelinek!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book from an outstanding scientist, professor of medicine and physician, June 17, 2011
Dr. Jelinek has reviewed the extensive research relating to multiple sclerosis and used this research to develop recommendations in plain language for managing multiple sclerosis. This is why Dr. Jelinek is the leader in the world when it comes to the treatment of MS and this is why this book is the single most important book anyone with MS can buy.

If you need to learn to live successfully with MS, this is the book that will give you hope based on rigorous scientific research. Not surprisingly, many with MS have seen their MS symptoms slowly melt away after they followed Jelinek's advice.

Rebecca Hoover

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for anyone with MS!, February 23, 2011
This is a must read for anyone diagnosed with MS! I wish this book was given to me with my diagnosis 6 years ago. It provides hope that you can take control of your health if living with MS. I've taken a wellness approach over the past couple of years, and this book showed the scientific evidence behind lifestyle changes that you can make. There is everything to gain by following the plan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifteen years of "Jelinek" and doing just fine!, June 30, 2013
I highly recommend this book. I was diagnosed 18 years ago, and have been following a low saturated fat diet for 15 years. I came across Jelinek about 4 years ago and have read his books. Excellent. All based on research. I've updated my self-treatment to include high dose vitamin D. Instead of meditating I play a musical instrument for an hour a day. As exercise I take my dog on long walks, also I swim and ride my bike. The diet takes commitment, but becomes a habit over time. My results? I'm fine after 18 years of MS. No dissabilities. No medication, no side effects. No doctors visits anymore. Go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, February 12, 2011
I have been on a low saturated fat diet since reading this book (12 days now). I have been feeling relatively good and I'm hopeful that the diet is the reason though only time will tell. Even if it doesn't help my MS it will surely improve my overall health. Sometimes you just need some motivation and this book was it for me. He has interwoven his personal opinions & biases among the supported evidence but if you can read with a critical eye I think there is good information here and hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKING, August 22, 2010
Dr. Jelinek is amazing.

After hip-hopping around for a few weeks with a book I could NOT put down, I'm finally starting again, from the beginning.

The story of how this book came about is an incredible gift from an extraordinary physician and teacher whose life and work are inseperable.

An amazing blessing for we who live with MS.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed (thanking my lucky stars) and moving on to the next chapter.

I'll keep you posted. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have MS, don't think twice - buy this book!, October 21, 2011
This book is a gem. All the lifestyle changes recommended are evidence-based. These changes will work for anyone. Yes, you need to give them time and you need to stick with them, but if your neuro has told you that progression to disability is inevitable as mine did, you'll definitely stick with these lifestyle changes! And yes, they have made a difference for me. The drugs available for MS are an option - you can take them and prevent a couple relapses, delay progression somewhat, or you can not take them to avoid the side effects. The lifestyle changes are not an option if you want to REALLY slow and stop disease progression. You will see that MS is largely due to lifestyle factors and can be largely impacted by changing lifestyle. Now that is logical.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dr. Jelinek for the impact your work has had on my health.

Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: An Evidence-Based Guide to Recovery
Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: An Evidence-Based Guide to Recovery by George Jelinek (Paperback - July 20, 2010)
$27.95 $20.58