Published 21 months ago by Esprit64

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So But Informative
Published on August 28, 2010 by J's Opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the biggest clues you can find as to why you are diseased, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Overcoming Thyroid Disorders Third Edition (Perfect Paperback)
As a person who has gotten nowhere with standard allopathic care, I eventually realized that I was paying too high a price for over-rated "expertise" that clearly was never received. I therefore stopped being mesmerized by allopathic care and started seeing it for the useless service it really is. I also set-out to cure myself. I had to--I ran out of money. I estimate that my health has been deteriorating for the last 27 years, getting worse since my car accident of 1996. Over 60 doctors and $150,000 later, I was still not getting better.

If doctors simply routinely checked all levels of each patient's Endocrine Systems, if they simply guided patients on the importance of taking Iodine and Desiccated Thyroid daily, women could eliminate fibrocystic breasts, ward off cancers, if not more. The principles involved are quite simple. Feed the body what it needs, and the body heals itself. Ladies, we are not getting enough iodine in our foods--that's why we're getting the breast problems--a key reason why!

After reading Dr. Brownstein's book, reviewing the website, "Stop the Thyroid Madness," and other sources of information written by Drs. Abrahm, Flescha and Schacter, I finally had the answers for my healthcare problems that I'd sought for years. Using their information and recommendations, finally--FINALLY--I started making progress with my health.

Many people have Hypothyroid Disorders and don't know it. Too many people have no idea how it is connected to so many of the chronic diseases we have today. Who knew that something as simple as taking 50mg of Lugol's Iodine daily, would not only feed my starving thyroid, but, cure my lung and breathing problems, too.

Dr. Brownstein's book is excellent. It speaks to the reader in simple yet detailed language about the how's and why's of what is happening to you. Finally, information that you can use to help yourself--which, is more than I can say for the empty promises made by other book titles. And, is especially helpful to people who do not have insurance and no access to healthcare. You're on your own. And, if you're determined to survive, you must find the answers you need and treat yourself.

People have no idea how something as small as a quarter can be instrumental in causing disease or stopping you from curing disease. Everything from the common cold to cancer and beyond--your thyroid gland--is just one of the keys to good health.

There are many answers in this book available for anyone to find. If you have ANY chronic disease (i.e., COPD, cancer, lupus, etc.), you must buy this book. After you read it, you'll understand why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Thrroid Disorders second edition, October 12, 2011
I only have two words for this book, and they are HOLY COW!! I was not aware how vital my thyroid gland is to my health. If you are having problems with your health, then you need this book. I have a degree in Medical Technology, but I was never taught how important iodine is to your thyroid gland. There are so many diseases that are directly linked to how well your thyroid gland is functioning. Dr. Brownstein has done an excellent job in providing the information you need to stay healthy. If you don't buy this book, then don't complain when your body does not get better after you have seen your doctor. I have found that most doctors fail to pick up the signs on what is causing your problems, because they can't think outside of the box. If you are not getting better, try finding a holistic doctor that knows what the thyroid gland will do for your health.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So But Informative, August 28, 2010
This book contains a lot of information, conveniently located in one book. As such it is very educational. However, it does have problems with the writing. First of all, there is a lot of information that is repeated over and over again. That combined with the fact that the book is type-set with double-spacing, makes me believe that that author and publisher were just looking to fill up pages to make it printable as a "book" instead of a "booklet." The repetition got a little annoying after a while.

The writing is also very simplistic - in other words, you can tell the author is not a writer. If you can get around those issues, you will find valauable information contained within. Was it worth the price of the book (I think I paid nearly $40 for it)? Probably, if you are struggling with thyroid issues and need to educate yourself and your care providers.

Addendum Regarding Comments About My Review:
I am continuously amazed by people who feel it necessary to condemn others for their opinions. My opinion is just as valid as another's and in fact, varying opinions from many contribute to a more well-rounded, overall review of any given product.

If you need/want a simply written, repetitive book you will love this writer's style and the information provided. If you are like me and appreciate well-written text, then you may find this book a little tedious. However, as I stated in my original review, there is a lot of good information contained in the book. And as a bonus, it is cheaper now than when I originally purchased it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful with Hashimoto's, December 18, 2013
Eileen (Anacortes, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's I was determined to find a solution. I do not want to just live with this forever like most doctors say you have to. I started by reading the Iodine book by the same author. I really appreciate what he has to say but did not get a lot more out of this book then I did that Iodine book. He is encouraging and supportive but long winded and repeats him self A LOT! Some repetition can be appreciated, especially as you are learning about a new topic, but this was so much I often found myself thinking I had already read that page and checking to see. That is why I gave it a 4 star instead of 5. But even with that, I really appreciated what he had to say.

I did follow his advice with Iodine and feel tremendously better. If you are desperate for answers and cure yourself then I would recommend both books. A $20 book is far cheeper then going to any doctor. I would also highly recommend "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause" as well as finding a great Naturopath.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an interesting thesis, September 6, 2013
Not sure I go along with everything Dr. Brownstein says, but he makes some interesting points worth checking out. But just try to get another doctor to prescribe the "natural" thyroid pills instead of synthroid. You'd think you asked them to commit murder.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, January 5, 2012
bought for my wife who has thyroid problems. Loads of info, but have to follow it daily. Has helped her know why she has certain effects in her body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Informative Thyroid Information Available, October 31, 2011
This revised edition of Overcoming Thyroid disorders is the most informative book out there. It's easy to read AND understand with a lot of helpful suggestions. Granted it's a lot to comprehend but I definitely recommend everyone read this book. I found it helpful to highlight information as reading then you can review it more easily when done. Best suggested book I've ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very authoritative!, April 4, 2012
Cave Man (Ellicott City, MD) - See all my reviews
Book is written by a doctor with first-hand experience on dealing with thyroid conditions. A great source for understanding the condition and alternate treatments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable and empowering, January 1, 2012
I have been struggling with thyroid disease for many years and have learned the hard way about the importance of educating yourself about this complicated issue. The information contained in this book is detailed, informative, empowering and easy to understand. If you have any concerns about your thyroid and its optimal functioning, read this book, make notes of any information that sounds potentially relevant to you and take it straight to your doctor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for educating new comers to thyroid disorders, March 18, 2013
A friend of mine and her mother recommended this book to me. My mother was recently diagnosed with a thyroid disorder and I was looking for something that would help her understand her thyroid issues better. Since then, my mother and I have both read the book, and I am about to order a copy for a friend who was recently diagnosed with a thyroid disorder.

I liked that the book was simply written and could be understood by people who don't have a medical degree. My mother would not have read it if she hadn't been able to understand it. It is simple but informative, which is exactly what someone new to thyroid disorders needs. It discusses thyroid disorders, underlying causes, and the connection between thyroid disorders and other diseases. We liked that it also explained the different thyroid tests and results, as well as the different medications and treatments that are available. The book also addressed nutrition. My mother has bookmarked and highlighted portions of the book, and she now takes it to the Endocrinologist when she has appointments. She now understands why her doctor might prescribe a certain treatment or order a certain test. She also knows what questions to ask her doctor. She is no longer afraid. I am not saying that this book will answer every single question, or make you more knowledgeable than your doctor, but it can help you understand a lot of what is going on, and it can make the whole process a little bit easier to deal with.

If you have an autoimmune disorder (such as Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis) then you might want to pay special attention to this book. My mother was also diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and they are exploring it's connection to her thyroid problems.

Overcoming Thyroid Disorders Third Edition
Overcoming Thyroid Disorders Third Edition by David Brownstein (Perfect Paperback - 2008)
Used & New from: $16.99