5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun album!
Published on July 8, 2012 by Book Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Clean Version
Yes, this is the clean version. Edited songs are Payphone, Tickets, and Wasted Years. The explicit version shows [Explicit] in the album title.
Published on June 28, 2012 by Susan Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun album!, July 8, 2012
Book Lover (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overexposed (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
After seeing so many bad reviews, I felt I had to weigh in. This album is definitely more "poppy" than their others, and that may be disappointing to some of Maroon 5's loyal fans. While I am usually not one to dig pop songs, this CD makes me want to sing along and dance in my car. Granted, there are a couple of duds on this album, in particular "Sad", but most of the others are just fun. I am hoping they will go on tour for this album soon because I can't wait to see them perform these songs live. Don't over-think this album. Just sit back, crank it up, and enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clean Version, June 28, 2012
Susan Franklin (Apex, NC United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars "Disappointing" would be putting it lightly, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (Audio CD)
A lot of critical things have been said about this album (see sampling below), but I think the most accurate and important one is this: "On much of the album, Maroon 5 barely sound like a band at all."

That's because Maroon 5 no longer really exists. They are no longer creating their own music. They recognized that all of the current hit music falls under categories like "disco-flavored dance-floor filler" or "dance-pop glitz," and they knew to sell songs they'd need to hire outside help. Who'd they hire? Look up names like Max Martin, Ryan Tedder, Shellback, and Benny Blanco--these people are the new "Maroon 5," and they are also Pink and Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson and Usher and Britney Spears and Taio Cruz and Adele and OneRepublic and Gym Class Heroes and Sean Paul and Avril Lavigne and Justin Bieber and Ke$ha and Flo Rida and Pitbull. I'm not making this up--it is a fact that almost all of the music we hear on the radio is created by the same few guys whose names you probably haven't heard.

I think it would be fair to say that the Billboard 100 has never been in such a sad, homogenous state, and I think it would also be fair to say that the release of this album confirms that modern hit music is vapid and soulless--it is little more than brand names selling catchy hooks created by anonymous dance-pop gurus.

Adam Levine himself admits that Overexposed "is definitely our poppiest album yet," and he admits that he has a "love/hate relationship with it." Maybe he'll get back to doing what he loves if we stop buying dance-pop glitz.

---

Other things that have been said about this album:

* "Every song sounds as if it was custom made to play behind the montage of someone's 'journey' in a TV talent show." (The Independent)
* "It seems more like a collaboration between Swedish hitmakers and AutoTune than between Levine and members of his band." (The Washington Post)
* "Even with various superstar producers on board, including Max Martin and Ryan Tedder, the album is stridently homogenous." (Boston Globe)
* "Overexposed is a hit-seeking missile that doesn't just slaughter Maroon 5's reputation for sincerity, it festoons its corpse with glitter." (The Washington Post)

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed With Maroon 5, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
For the first time ever I am giving anything of Maroon 5 a 1 star. I have been a massive fan since "Songs About Jane". I have listened to that CD over 100 times (not even joking). In my opinion it is considered to be the best album ever released. Then came "It Won't Be Soon Before Long." Great CD. There was only 1 or 2 songs on that album that I didn't love. After that they released "Hands All Over." I have to admit, I wasn't instantly in love with this CD. But after listening to each song 3-4 times, it grew on me. And now I listen to it here and again.

Then came the worst thing Maroon 5 has ever done. I pre-ordered "Overexposed" thinking I would absolutely love this CD. When Maroon 5 launched the hit "Payphone", I feel in love! I listened to it on replay for an hour long and almost memorized all the lyrics. Great song. A few weeks later they released "One More Night." Again, another great song that I listened to 5-6 times. Then I got the email telling me I could finally download the new CD. I was so excited I downloaded it that instant! I listened to the whole CD during a slow time at work. Then I got home and listened to it again. The next day I listened to half of it on the way to work and half on the way back from work. I decided to give it one more chance and just barely finished listening to it all the way through before writing this review.

This has got to be the worst mistake Maroon 5 has ever made. All but "Payphone" and "One More Night" are horrible songs. This isn't an "OMG, no 'Songs About Jane' type CD?!?!" This is an "OMG these songs are not at all catchy or good!" I have a large taste in music ranging from Styx to Eminem to The Beatles to Garth Brooks. I almost enjoy all types of music, depending what type of mood I am in. But this album makes me want to turn it off. I am so very disappointed in Maroon 5 and their decision to sell this album. I wish I could say that I will grow to love it, but that probably won't happen since I have already listened to it 4 times and hate it just as much the last time as the first.

Congrats, Maroon 5, on disappointing one of your biggest fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars dime a dozen act, June 26, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
Maroon 5 has turned into another over Process hot shot smoke and mirrors act in hollywood. the music and Production are glossy and accesible, however the songs are generic and lack and punch or bite. mind you they were always one of those acts that on the surface might be alright for today's standards, but even in today's climate musically they are liteweight to me and I never got the hype. Adam Levine knows he could have a successful solo career and that might be on deck in the future, however these songs don't go anywhere. i gotta wonder will Maroon 5 be the Bon Jovi of their era and make it last on 3 chords and 2 and a half songs into a few decades or go away like Huey Lewis and the News or a Sugar Ray basically acts that were happening withing a certain time period and then folks saw beyond the smoking mirrors and pulled the plug on that mess.

not one song here really stands out and they came back with a album a bit fast with not much juice. time will tell if this is enough for them to get by or if there time is almost is up as a band.

1.0 out of 5 stars Everything That's Wrong With American Music, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
An album... sorry - a "product" created in a boardroom not in a recording studio. Totally void of any emotional depth and completely creatively vacuous, to me this represents everything that is wrong with US music. Its only raison d'etre is to create fame and money for a "band" that is totally run its course and simply out of all ideas musically.

The most reprehensible thing about this band and the product they have made is that it assumes people that buy modern pop music are stupid and spurn interesting, creative, emotionally astute, beautifully crafted pop songs.

I get not everyone wants to listen to intense, sometimes dark, difficult complex songs, but there is a wealth of amazing, intelligent, beautifully crafted sheer pop songs out there. There is simply no excuse for a record like this and there is no defense for making a product as blatantly commercial, uninspired and dumbed down as this and having the gall to pass it off as music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Right of the assembly line, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (MP3 Music)
Let me start off by saying I love Maroon 5. I have all their albums and I really like the band, but I am really disappointed with their new album and here's why.
I am so sick of the latest hip hop music which really has no variety at all and all the beats seem to programmed on a computer, and there is nothing to show for real talent. Sad to say, Maroon 5 seemed to have figured out that these kind of albums are what make them money and what the teenagers want nowadays and have adopted this strategy. When I bought the album I found my self skipping the tracks even before I heard it for the first time, this is how monotonous this album is. It is just one more album that's out there now that has no substance and only sounds good because of the deep bass and the rear view mirror of your car shaking, if you are into that kind of a thing. My advice don't waste your money on this album you will be thoroughly disappointed. I still have faith in Maroon 5 and hope they get back to their roots in the next album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good songs mixed with....just.....bad ones, August 15, 2012
Ok, so a lot has already been said/written about this album, but the polarizing reception made me curious from the beginning. Is this the kind of album we have come to expect from M5, or something else? Sadly, it's the latter. Here's my take on each song in this deluxe version:

#1 One More Night--this one's ok. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but nothing overly offensive either. It has that traditional M5 funk sound we've come to enjoy, even if the phrase "Cross my heart and hope to die" is cliche.
#2 Payphone--really good song, really liked it the first time I heard it on the radio. Unfortunately this is NOT the radio version, and as stated in other reviews contains some useless rap in the bridge. The rap is completely irrelevant, doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song, and conforms to the traditional problem with rap--as long as the words rhyme it doesn't have to have any real message. Too bad, the song is much better without it.
#3 Daylight. This one's decent. Again not particularly great and a tad repetitive, but at least it lacks the pop/dance elements that make many of the other songs downright awful.
#4 Lucky Strike--Has a fast, driving tempo and beat and...well...that's about it. Passable, but definitely not one of the better offerings here.
#5 The Man Who Never Lied--Pretty good. Sounds more like a M5 song than many of the others, has a good beat without being too much into the dance/techno area and the vocals are typical Adam--in other words very good.
#6 Love Somebody--The music on this one is ok, but the lyrics are really too cliche to be taken seriously. Phrases like "fall for you", "dance the night away", "take me all the way", "I think about you every single day" sound like they came straight from a grade-school student's attempt at a love letter.
#7 Ladykiller--nothing special here. Nothing particularly interesting about the music, and that high-pitched "How could you do it" toward the end of every verse---am I listening to M5 here or Earth, Wind & Fire?
#8 Fortune Teller--could have been pretty good. Unfortunately they decided to add the heavy techno beats and synthesizers to the whole thing and it overshadows the lyrics and the rest of the music. Not terrible, but far from great.
#9 Sad--This could well be the best track on the album. It's just Adam and a piano--and it's great. No flashy techno beats, no cliches surrounded by dance music, just nothing bad to say about it. I can listen to this one all day and not get tired of it.
#10 Tickets--just bad. Sounds like it should be sung by Lady Gaga. Given her success maybe that's the point, but it just doesn't fit with M5 at all.
#11 Doin' Dirt--I didn't even know what that phrase meant until I looked it up, and I'm still not sure it makes any sense with the rest of the lyrics. Worse, this is another track where they just pumped up all the dance beats and hope you won't notice the nonsensical words. Not great to say the least.
#12 Beautiful Goodbye--ok, but the music just doesn't seem to fit with the band. It sounds more like something that would be sung by Jason Mraz. There's nothing really BAD here, but nothing to write home about either.
#13 Wipe Your Eyes--I really like this song, but why add another song on top of it (or rather this song sounds like it's on top of another). At first I thought they were trying to take a page from Coldplay's "Charlie Brown" where they have the chorus in a much higher pitch at the beginning of the song. Turns out it's actually another song called "Sabali" by Amadou and Mariam. Go listen to that song, then this one again. It's almost the exact same song, just with Adam's lyrics on top of it and the tempo sped up a bit. There's another version of this song that has "Oh ne ne ne" instead of the Sabali lyrics, but both make it a little weird. Get past that and this one's a good one.
#14 Wasted Years--more like a wasted song. The whole thing just repeats itself for 3.5 minutes and then it's over. The music repeats, the lyrics repeat, and it seems you could just replace all the words with "dum da dum dum dum dum dum" and it would be just as good....or bad
#15 Let's Stay Together--as my wife said when she first heard this song: "Why are THEY singing THIS song?" Enough said.....

So it's hard to sum up this album. I've been a fan of the band since it's inception, and I always get excited when a new album comes out. Unfortunately this is the worst of the 4 main albums they've released. There are some really good songs here, but some really bad ones too. Hopefully they will get back to their old sound and stop trying to be something they're not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully This Is Just a Phase..., July 2, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (Audio CD)
When Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger" was released after 2011's Hands All Over bowed upon the Billboard 200 Albums chart, the listener could discern that Maroon 5's follow-up to the slick, underrated set would be even more poppy. Sure enough, 2012's Overexposed is a full-blown pop album in the vein of modern-pop. Commercially, that is probably a smart move for Maroon 5. Critically, this move to more commercial pop as opposed to path tread by Songs About Jane or the more The Police influenced It Won't Be Soon Before Long, does open the band to be labeled as `sellouts.' Sellouts they may be, the move is understandable given the underwhelming initial response to Hands All Over and the current climate of pop music. The results are mixed and not nearly as strong as the band's best work.

"One More Night" opens the effort with a reggae-influence groove. A bit off-putting from a cursory listen, "One More Night" grows on you with successive iterations. It does not eclipse the bands previous openers ("Harder to Breathe," "If I Never See Your Face Again," or "Misery"), but it does prove to be one of the better, more memorable cuts from this affair. For purists, hearing Maroon 5 using hip-hop/pop drum programming may be a shock in itself. "Payphone," featuring Wiz Khalifa continues on the modern pop trek. An extension of "Moves Like Jagger" by all means, intact with the obligatory profanity characterizing modern music, "Payphone" immerses its hand into the `grab bag of pop tricks.' Levine sells the cut well, though his vocals are particularly thin on the verse, only to be beefed up on the ultra-addictive refrain: "I'm at a pay phone, trying to go home/ all of my change I spent on you..." As for Wiz, the effect of his collaboration feels like Maroon 5 just wanted to be formulaic; his rap is completely unnecessary.

"Daylight" finds Levine sounding a bit unlike himself vocally at first. In fact, the whole cut seems a bit off-putting. As the listener keeps listening though, the cut unveils some magic, regardless of the sheen that characterizes the production. The refrain proves catchy, much like all of them do here, and the anthemic treatment of the cut as whole at the end is a highlight. "Lucky Strike" doesn't fare nearly as well, despite opening with distorted guitar. Produced/co-written by ubiquitous tag-team Ryan Tedder and Noel Zanacanella, the song isn't as impressive as many others are. Even the driving groove and dubstep influenced sound doesn't quite add up to a hit. Follow up cut "The Man Who Never Lied" is better, though still a couple of shades short of Maroon 5's strongest songs. The vocal production allows for Levine's voice to shine and the refrain definitely atones for any laxness with the verses: "I was the man who never lied/never lied until today/But I just couldn't break your heart/like you did mine yesterday..."

"Love Somebody" finally gives the band a much needed breakthrough. The driving groove, highly referencing 80's New wave works well surprisingly. The vocal production definitely amps up Levine's voice here and he delivers yet another crafty hook: "I really want to love somebody/I really want to dance the night away/I know we're only half way there/but you can take me all the way..." Well it is schmaltzy, but at least it's fun. "Ladykiller" has some promise, but never quite ascends to the `next step.' Levine's falsetto is superb as always and as a whole, the sound is pleasant. The quibble is there is a missing piece; there's a lack of magic. "Fortune Teller" is average at best, as it feels empty. The main rub with "Fortune Teller" is it lacks `connection'; Stack it against Maroon 5's best and it's blatantly obvious.
"Sad" is a smart change of pace, stripping the electronic production in favor of rhythmic piano as the accompanying instrument. Vocally, Levine shines more here because not only are the effects of the production stripped, but also is Levine's vocal gimmicks. That soul that longtime fans have come to hail shines more here. "Sad" is not perfect, as it could have been further developed, but it is a standout among a sea of commercial pop numbers. "Tickets" is as gimmicky as "Sad" is stripped, but it works relatively well given the tone and sound of the album. "Doin' Dirt" possesses a nice neo-disco/new-wave sound, though it is rather predictable. Closing cut "Beautiful Goodbye" opts for more acoustic sound than electronic, which makes it a pleasant surprise. Even so, "Beautiful Goodbye" feels like a good closing cut, not a particularly great one.

Overall, Overexposed may live true to its title. With Levine's heightened profile given The Voice, the band seems to be embracing the `fame' as well, compromising their style in favor of modern pop. It makes sense, but Overexposed is hopefully just a `phase' and not Maroon 5's `new sound.' Where Songs About Jane sounds classic, Overexposed is much more generic and forgettable.

1.0 out of 5 stars sad..., July 4, 2012
This review is from: Overexposed (Deluxe Edition) (Audio CD)
This is my review from the MP3 version. Not sure why they can't put these all together but here it is:
Really?
This is M5?
This album does not even come close to quality that M5 has favored us from their last albums. It is as if someone cloned them, locked the originals away, and had these falsifications try to do something between Rap and 80's Disco.
Please!
The album is ruined completely by the first two songs outright. Payphone had potential and it was going good until they inserted the rappist in the middle and completely wrecked whatever promise it ever had. Why the RAP? Why the foul language is needed I don't know. It's like they need to cuss to express themselves and it dampens the strength of their music. Even the Album Artwork sucks, an indicator of what to expect inside.
Two things they need to do for their next album.
1. NO RAP/THUMP-A-CUSS. Guys you can sing and well but the rap has got to be omitted.
2. Change your theme. I applaud the songs and musical prowess, but the bad relation, girlfriend cheating me/me cheating her, sorrowful drone is getting old. When you cover other peoples songs you shine. Take that with some fresh lyrics of your own and you will soar.
Don't get me wrong, folks, There are some good songs on the album, but not enough to merit the name Maroon 5 has earned from past endeavours.
Not recommended for all of the hype I read and saw, please guys go back and re-think yourselves before venturing out into the music world again...
Sad

Overexposed (Deluxe Edition)
Overexposed (Deluxe Edition) by Maroon 5 (Audio CD - 2012)