Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on September 9, 2012
The folks from Gemstone have done another fine job putting together this year's price guide. It does have the same problems it has had since they started putting them out of not reflecting several of the more recently published hot item prices but overall it is pretty solid or the lower than cover price market value of most comics published from the eighties and up. The larger format does make it easier to read and allows for better pictures in the feature sections. I do wish that it would have a larger amount of space devoted to the fact that comics from the eighties and up for the most part are worth about a dime each to a dealer who will then turn around and price them for a buck each and hope to cover his investment. Also, the prices on older (fifties and back) lower grade copies are relatively low for items that are under fifty bucks in near mint, the pricing spread between near mint and good tends to be a little bit tighter than they have as lower grades tend to get guide or above just because they are affordable and hard to find. Still a good book to have and definitely the most comprehensive reference book for comic book collectors out there, I will be using it all year as a tool for my company, Park Circle Comics.
on September 21, 2012
On plain vanilla older stuff it's a useful reference, on key issues & books after 1990 it's of little use. Mile High is the market leader & is much more on top of things, they also have list prices for all grades even if it's not in stock. Their demand is such that they can charge pretty amazing prices but if you take about 1/2 their list price & adjust a bit depending on the # of copies in stock you'll get a pretty good average retail figure. Hulk 181 (first Wolvy) is a silly miss, guide in GD is $64 but it'll sell on Ebay for $300, only the most important book of the bronze age. It's time to get with it on Deadpool & Spawn too, some list for $3 but sell for more like $30-50.

Seems to be intent on marking down mid-grade values but don't let it fool you, comics are hot & most are going up in all grades. I think it's trying to reflect the fact that most sellers have to mark down books that aren't CGC'd, sellers please note that 90% of books bought online are either Overgraded or arrive damaged so of course I'm not paying full guide. Sellers with a good rep have trouble keeping quality material in stock, somebody please sell me some.

In all fairness Bob Overstreet is like 75 or 80 and this is a huge market, no way he can keep up. He should skip all the new stuff with all the variant covers & stick to pre-2000, either that or let someone else take over. Other comment was correct, there's lots of post-1980 stuff that just needs to go on a "cover price or less" list.
on May 26, 2013
If they printed a YEAR on the book instead of "Volume whatever"....much easier to order that way.

And of course the "worth" of any collectible lies in whether anyone wants to BUY it....or not.
on August 24, 2012
This is the bible for serious comic book collectors. It would be nice if there was an electronic version of this. This book gets heavy after awhile, and it's sort of obvious that you are price checking at comic shows.
on March 19, 2016
Purchased to help me appraise my comic books. I found almost all of them listed in this reference. The rest I found online. It's a handy guide for collectors who want to know the value of their collection.
on April 25, 2013
I've probably bought 10-15 editions of this over the 30 years I've been collecting comics. It's still the most comprehensive guide available - really nothing else competes with it. This is unfortunate, because it really needs some competitive pressure to force improvement. I agree with others that spending line after line on most modern comics "value" is a big waste of time, since these comics are nearly worthless. It's better to donate your 1980's-1990's comics to the library and take the tax write off (using this as your value source) than it is to try and sell these.

Golden age comic prices really need improved. As I've matured (gettin' old) and have more disposable income, I've started buying Golden Age comics. Most of the ones I like (superhero WW2 covers, good girl covers, Frazetta/Wood/Schomberg/etc) ALWAYS seem to go for WAY over guide at the several large internet comic auction sites. CGA keeps data of comics sold - and it seems like it would be simple for Overstreet to contract with them to keep prices more accurate.

I think we all realize that any price guide is outdated as soon as it's produced, but there is really no excuse for not changing values to recent years' sales numbers/trends that are easily found in this digital age.
on December 18, 2013
This is a must have for comic book fans. We like the comprehensive details and indexing layout. Even though my husband and I only collect comics sporadically and rarely sell them, it is exciting to see their current value. Especially when you find out you picked up something impulsively that turns out to be worth money!
on May 29, 2013
Every comic collector should grab a copy. It is my go to when I am negotiating comic book prices with other sellers and buyers. It gives me a base price to start with. It can be a bit troublesome to find issue numbers occasionally, as they are listed in batches sometimes but no real complaints. I do wish this was published a bit more frequently to reflect rise and fall of comic prices.
on November 28, 2012
This is the bible of comic book prices. I buy one every other year. I have
noticed that early Overstreet editions are collectible on eBay. The guide is
packed with information and easy to use.
on May 10, 2013
I had some old Marvel and DC comics from the sixties and was wondering if they were worth anything. This price guide gives you insight into evaluating your collection based upon comic book condition plus it has various resources for selling your collection. A terrific guide to give you realistic expectations for selling your comic books.