5.0 out of 5 stars FOR REAL THIS TIME!!
Published on July 27, 2012 by W. Wulff

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this piece of crap less stars, I would
Published 7 months ago by Eric Storts

5.0 out of 5 stars FOR REAL THIS TIME!!, July 27, 2012
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
I have been playing for over 30 years and tuning my kit was always very important to me. Some drummers just want to bang on stuff, others want melodic value from their kits . . . if you are one of the latter, like me, you would spend a LOT of time listening to each little tap around the drum to get that melodic match. This little "toy" just made short work of that chore!

Here's what it comes down to (the filter setting) . . . if you are serious about tuning your drums and getting the best sound from each, you know the "bad cousin in the room" has always been isolating overtones to get the pitch just right AND consistent while tuning each lug. I also play some guitar, so I used to tune my guitar using "harmonics" and wished I could do the same (without spending so much time) for drums . . . well, it's not so easy.

Once you decide (or take from the suggested settings) the HZ level that gives you the "pitch" you want from each drum . . . you lock the filter there and can tune each lug PRECISELY to that HZ level all around the head . . . AND turn the drum over and do the same with the bottom head. I prefer my bottom heads tuned slightly higher than the batter head (about 39Hz higher) . . . the ability to do that with the precision of a guitar or piano tuner is AWESOME!!!

Note: Tune-bot has suggested settings for drums and they are quite good . . . but every drummer is different and wants that unique sound to them and their kit . . . once you find it, you set it in memory and tuning becomes quick.

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this piece of crap less stars, I would, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
First off I've been tuning to frequency with an oscilator for years, and mine finally when kaput, so I went looking for products that did the same without having to spend $200+, then I found this little device. I purchased this piece of crap for $100. The thing doesn't work properly, their customer service is horrible, and now I can't get a refund. THEN, I find this beautiful app for my iPhone for $4 and it was amazing! NOW I FOUND OUT I CAN'T GET UPDATES TO MY APP THAT I PURCHASED BECAUSE OVERTONE LABS IS SUING THE APP MAKER BECAUSE THEY HAVE A "PATENT" ON FREQUENCIES?????????? When is Overtone going to sue every guitar tuner and police scanner manufacturer on the market? Overtone, you suck, your product sucks, and I hope you burn in hell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice device for Tweak Freaks and picky folks, August 21, 2012
Amazon Customer "quantum-theorist" (New Carlisle, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
With all the YouTube videos on drum tuning do you need this? For me, yes. My sense of when two tuning lugs are the "same" is pretty bad. I wanted something that, unlike my ear, is precise and repeatable. The Tunebot is both. There are videos on using the Tune-bot and I encourage you to view them as well. What do you need to know? 1-Since both your tuning by ear or by the tun-bot depend on you tapping on the drum head, you will need to practice your "tap-tap-tap" because inconsistency in the tap will mislead both biologic and electronic sensors. With good tapping, the Tune-bot gives fantastic precision and repeatability and you will KNOW that each lug is the same. 2-Don't try to take shortcuts or try to speed tune your drums. This is not a time saver device, it is a "I want everything PERFECT" device. 3-You can tune to notes or to frequencies. I don't have a lot of experience with the device yet, but for me, frequency tuning seems FAR EASIER than note tuning...this is possibly an artifact of drum resonances being complex but with a dominant frequency that the Tune-bot detects more easily. It gave consistent frequency read out. Notes seemed to be variable. 4-The device comes with a paper folded up instruction manual that shows mechanically how to tune as well as how the device works and has a little bit of musical info in form of a table of notes and frequencies. Nothing fancy but "serviceable". 5-the device has the modest ability to store your drum settings and whether for batter head or lower head. You can recall these next time you tune and that would be good if you tune for something that sounds good to you (as I have tuned my kit) other than a specific note. You can recreate your "special" sound from device memory and tune to it at a later date. 6-The device comes with a clothespin type clip for attachment to the drum rim. The clip is rotatable so you and the drum can be in awkward positions and you still can read the display. 7-This appears to be a portably packaged microphone, spectrum analyzer with digital readout display and some additional memory functions, so if you wanted to build your own with a good mic and software, though tethered to your computer you could do that.
Was it worth it? For me YES. I am a good deal happier with the sound of my 6 drum set of Tama Starclassics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tune-Bot Drum Tuner., November 15, 2012
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
Drummers who doubt their ability to properly tune by ear will do well to take note of the Tune-Bot drum tuner. It is fairly easy to use and offers features that you may or may not need. The primary function is to be sure that your drum lugs are all tightened and tuned equally. This is accomplished by first lightly hitting the drum, be it snare or tom, in the center to get a relative pitch. Then you tap the drum roughly an inch or so away to hear and see on the digital readout what each lug is currently tuned to, as well as to hear which lug produces the tone you most want to tune your drum to. Having found that, you then hit the filter button which is supposed to filter out any other tones given off by the rest of the set. The next step is to hit the Difference button which will then tell you how far off each lug is from the tone that you want. With the Difference button clicked, the interface on the tune bot changes to a meter appearance showing whether that specific lug is hi or low. Tapping a couple of inches away from the lug will show this and then you tighten or loosen the lug so as to reach a reading a 0.0. Just a slight turning of the drum key is all it takes. Anything that is .5 or 0.0 is good.

This is where I have found a problem. The numeric result of each tap is often very inconsistent. You can tap once and it might show that you are too loose by -2.0 indicating that you need to tighten up a touch. However, a second tap at the same place on the skin might show a completely different result. This can be very frustrating. For best results, you should remove the drum from the kit entirely but this inconsistency remains.
Once you are done with a drum's tuning, you can save the tuning spec for that drum in the Tune Bots memory denoting which drum it is. This is a great feature but I would rather have the consistency issue settled. This is why I gave it only 3 stars for this 5 star idea.

Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you in determining your purchase.
Much Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Monsanto of the drum tuning world., December 7, 2013
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
So this company sued a very small company who created an app that tuned drums. The app was amazing, but these guys had to be greedy and take out the competition. Good job monsanto. Ill spread this info to every drummer I know, and will never buy your product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tune bot saved my kit, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
I have a nice dw set but i could never get it sounding great until i got one of these. I have tried the drumdial, torque wrenches, tuning apps and everything in between. Considering the money i have spent on my drum set this is a great investment, finally allowing me to get the best sound out of my kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the competition, July 23, 2014
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
This tuner is more accurate than any phone app I've tried. I went through idrumtech and drumanalyzer and tried various random tuners available on google play, nothing gave me a very consistent reading half the time but this tuner was well worth paying more for. I don't care about the lawsuit against idrumtech because I feel like I've paid for a quality product that works better than the competition. I don't have to buy an external clip for my phone to make things easier, I don't have to wear headphones to tune my drums, and I don't have to drain the battery on my phone trying to get the right pitch. I've never been able to tune as accurately with anything else than the Tune-Bot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
I bought this @ Guitar Center, but wanted to leave a review here....

@ GC the clerk + I took a few drums, including brand new DW and tuned it up w/ the TuneBot ... no problem. quick and easy ith very little finetuning to do. Then I took out my 12" Gretch Catalina problem drum. I have had fits tuning this thing... and it didn't tune up w/ the Tune Bot either, so we took took off the heads and the thing wasn't round any more. Needless to say I was very impressed with the TuneBot's performance, purchased it, and use it regularly. Its great. Sometimes I fing a lug is a whole octave up, but it is hard to hear because the fundamental is still the same.

Anyway... +1. 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, it just doesn't deliver the results it claims, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
I had high hopes this gadget would help overcome tension unevenness at each lug. It helps, but it seems to read the fundamental note of the drum rather than each lug. I could get the drum to produce an even tone on the readout, but each individual lug still was uneven. I gave it two stars because it was a little helpful. However the frustration of dealing with inconsistent readings from the Tune Bot does not justify the price of this device. You can the same or better results from tuning advice on the internet and using a piano to tune to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product, June 22, 2014
This review is from: Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot (Electronics)
Got it for my boyfriend last Christmas, he LOVES it and says it works perfectly. PS it's cheaper here than at Guitar Center ;)

Overtone Labs TB001 Tune-Bot