Top critical review
59 people found this helpful
This company is not trustable at all!
on July 6, 2007
My wife and I tried both Ovulex and Amberoz from Selmedica. At that time, the only useful review ovulex I could find is from here. All the other websites either are full of successful stories, which are exactly the same style as their own website, or apparently is affiliated with them. I did not find any objective or trustable reviews about their products. I checked their BBB record. The review is bad but not terribly bad at that time. Since my wife insist trying it and yes, the hospital bill is expensive, so I placed an order of value packs for $177+$8.77 shipping.
Several days later, the package arrived in a bubble mail envelop, instead of the plain box they promised on their websites. The smell of the pill is very strong from the package. I am very uncomfortable about this. This is the first time a company shipped $177 value goods using bubble mail. Furthermore, I am also surprised to find that there is no invoice inside the package. So I send them email to request an invoice and also complained their package. They sent me an email copy of invoice and ignored my complaint.
Both of us still tried the medicine for almost 2 weeks. I did not feel anything different. But my wife felt kind of nausea at first and got small allergy reaction after taking the pill. So she has to stop taking it. Later I found some interesting facts about this company that let me made up my mind to return the pills. I am not allowed to post link here. But you can do a google search using selmedica or selmedica ripoff and find the two articles by yourself. It is a pity that these two articles are not in the top results when I placed the order. Basically, here are the facts they found out:
1. Selmedica are not only selling ovulex, they are also selling many different types of medicine, which covers a broad aspects. They offer all types of money back guarantee for their products. This fact is also confirmed by their refund manager later when I returned the products. most of the problem reported on BBB is there unwillingness to refund. This indicated there is really some problem with their promise.
2. The most interesting facts about this company is that they have so many domain names now and past. If you checked out at BBB, the current BBB consumer report listed at least 30 different domain names of them and I don't think that is complete list. Why do they need so many domain and company names while none of them said they are affiliated with selmedica ? If their product is really good, do you think they need that? A normal business practice is to list all their products at their company websites. But they clearly don't want us to know they are selling all kinds of different products. Also it is interesting to know that the address of a 50 year company is either apartment of post office box and appeared in two cities. I am wondering if these pills are actually made in US.
3. The claim they have 50 years experience. But their company is not listed in yellow book in 2005. Based on BBB report, their business started from March 2004. Why do they need to lie about these basic facts? They claim their products are natural and therefore are side-effects free. But they do have side-effects from consumer report. Also There are many natural herbs which people are allergic to. Most of old Chinese pills are made from natural herbs but if not taken properly, it can cause problems very easily.
I don't trust this company any more and I decided to return their products. I did not get any response after 3 days. So I have to call them. First time the phone is busy. Second time I got in and a lady answered the phone. She emailed me a link to the RMA form shortly and it turns out she is their refund manager. They only have a post box address for address, which clearly shows that they are not a big company as they claim to be. And they state that they need 30 business days to process the return. I tried to follow their rules and mailed back the package ASAP. I have to email and call them several times to get my refund. I did not get any response after they received my return and even after I got the refund. That is more than one month. And I think I got the refund because I sent the email directly to their refund manager. I end up by paying $15 and spend such a big time and energy to deal with them and I am very happy that I don't need to deal with them any more. But keep in mind that that is under the condition that my credit card can still help me within this time frame.
Here are some helpful suggestions for others about selmedica:
1. I think their product is over priced and you don't know whether it is effective or not. I agree I would rather buy some multi-vitamin instead of buying from them. Although they offer one year money back, the guarantee really means nothing with a company with little credit. I don't trust a company who has so many domains and company names. Their efforts are all put into to webpage design and I highly suspect that they are making good medicine. Keep in mind that you can't ask for help from your credit card company after two statement periods. After that whether you can get the refund is at the mercy of that company. These are actually not important as long as there pills work well. But such a company really can't convince me that they can make good products.
2. Apparently this company knows very well how to promote there products on the internet. They not only have so many website without telling you that they are actually affiliated, they are also very active in different online forums. So just always have your own judgments when you read reviews. Some may not be real reviews, just somebody try to promote their products. Don't let the company make use of desperate people like us. Try to be critical.
3. It is funny that they need 30 business days to process the return and at the same time they are offering 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Probably this is the longest time I have seen. If they really need that long, it is either because their product is not good at all and so many people are returning it or they are trying to make the process difficult. If you lose faith to deal with them, they are happy to not give you the refund. So don't count on their guarantee if you want to try their products.
BTW, I do see their website changed a lot since January and they do offer more information on their websites and they still claim they have over 50 years experience. It is very easy to change a webpage and domain name. But they can't change their history at consumer report. Please just make your own judgments.