5.0 out of 5 stars Visual treat
Published 23 months ago by B.Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't what I expected
This book was purchased as a gift. When it arrived, I was disappointed because of all the information. I didn't want all the info for owls around the world.
Published 18 months ago by Brenda Gauvin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Visual treat, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
Calling all owl lovers..,, This book is a must for your library. Even though I personally own quite a few owl books, I had to get this one, as the photos alone are simply stunning! Well worth the price. I was curious about say, owls of Chile, also, what do owls of Japan look like? I wondered if there were owls in the Middle East. This book is amazing, and answered my question quickly, and in rich detail. Hoo needs this book? You.... That's HOO! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Owl Book Ever!, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
This is the most indepth book on the owls of the world I have ever found. It is packed full of beautiful photos of owls from all over the globe. I had no idea that there were so many! Wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing array of owl photography and knowledge, June 1, 2013
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
Given that Finland has an abundance of great owls it's no surprise that a Finn has brought out one of the best books on this family. The staggering number of quality photos of what might be one of the most difficult families to photograph given their nocturnal habits is quite astounding.

The latest taxonomy is applied here to the 249 species described in this book. The introduction is filled with information about owls in general with sections on characteristics, plumage, breeding habits, evolution and taxonomy, owls and humans, conservation and a how to use the book section.

Each of the 249 species of owls are shown with multiple photographs, 750 in all, of different plumages and young where they were available. The information on each species covers identification, call, food and hunting, habitat, status and distribution, geographic variation and similar species. Range maps cover the species range with resident, summer and winter ranges.

Heimo Mikkola has done a wonderful job collecting all the data and photographs, itself a monumental achievement, and portrayed it in an easy to follow and well-presented book. There are some stunning photographs of many rare and endangered and range restricted species that bring the world of the owl into the reader's hands. This is a quintessential reference guide to this amazing family of birds and a great book for any ornithological enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful owl book, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
This book is really wonderful, it exceeds my expectations although I thought it must be exactly what I was looking for. There are incredibly many photographs of all sorts of owls that I haven't ever heard of, and the information given is very detailed. I can recommend it to everybody who likes owls and already knows the "basic" sorts. All in all, a fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
This is a very complete encyclopedia of owls. There are photos on virtually every page, with many pages having 2,3 or 4 photos. Information is very complete with the first 80 pages general owl information and the rest of the book listing each different species (420 pages). It weighs 3 1/2 lbs and is approximately 9 1/2 inches by 7 inches. This book is facts and more facts, seems to cover everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I ever bought!, April 18, 2013
Claudia B. Martins (São Paulo - Brasil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
Very nice and specific book. So specific that broght a lot of controversy with my "bird-lovers-friends".
The images are awesome and it's easy to locate the owls, especially by region.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, April 26, 2013
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book, as an owl enthusiast. It is very exhaustive, well illustrated and has a lot of photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new book!, May 15, 2013
Jennifer (IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
This product met all of my expectations. No shipping or quality issues, product is as-advertised. I would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Reference, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
This book is an astounding compendium of everything to do with owls. The categories for the different species is well thought out. The photographs are outstanding in capturing the uniqueness of each owl species.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Wonderful, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide (Hardcover)
My son and I are crazy about owls and this book is our favorite reference for these dear creatures. The photography is amazing! We go back to it again and again, so we keep it on our coffee table in the family room for easy access. Family and guests have enjoyed it too. Highly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide
Owls of the World: A Photographic Guide by Heimo Mikkola (Hardcover - July 26, 2012)
Used & New from: $75.48