Own It: Discover Your Faith in God
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$12.28 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 26, 2013
Format: Paperback
There are books that come across our path in life that cause us to stop and consider the premise laid out in the writing. Here is such a challenge to do just that: Stop and consider. Consider what you ask? Well, actually I could say the state or position of your faith, but that wouldn't really encapsulate the reason the authors share what God has taught them.
In six thought provoking chapters, you will consider "owning your faith". In other words, not letting your faith rest on or in wherever you have placed it at this moment. As you read, you will learn that faith saves you, costs you, changes you, completes you and frees you. Now, maybe you have been a Christian for many years and think this is one book you can forego. I ask you to reconsider that decision. Usually, when someone asks us to reconsider, we want to know the "why" of it, but as you read God will speak directly to you whatever it is He wants you to know. So my answering your question of "why" could be way off because what He spoke to my heart may or may not be what He longs to say to you.
I will share as I read that I was challenged at times to pray a prayer or repent because I was doing something contrary to what His Word instructs. Sometimes I would pray that God would strengthen me to obey Him in doing what He instructed me to do as I was turning the page. I love the way the Lord loves to speak to each of us where we are in life. He loves it when we seek His face and when we own up to areas where we have sinned and then confess them. He loves to set us free from the bondage that at times we are totally unaware we have fallen into. He truly is amazing.
So take a couple of hours to read and allow the Holy Spirit to examine you so He can draw you to His heart and return to the One who knows you better than you know yourself.
on September 3, 2013
About Own It:

The movie Grace Unplugged tells the story of Grace Trey, an ideal Christian teenager who is also a phenomenal singer. But when she is pushed into the "real world" at the tender age of eighteen after getting the music break of a lifetime, her faith is put to the test.

Own It! mirrors the film by asking what it means to really "own" your personal faith rather than just automatically following in the footsteps of parents, friends, or other influencers. Best-selling authors Hayley and Michael DiMarco help readers understand what to do when faith meets real world challenges.

Without solid beliefs, poor choices are likely to follow. You must take the time to really know who you are, who you are becoming, and who God made you to be. It's your personal faith . . . own it!

My Thoughts:

This book is a brilliant concept. It raises the question, your faith, where did it come from? Did it come from your parents? Are you borrowing it? Are you faking it? This book forces you to make a choice. A choice that can change your life forever. Do you get up on Sunday mornings just going through the motions? Are you one of those Sunday Christians? Or are you only a Christian when it suits you?

This book forces you to reflect on just what you are doing to own it? To own your faith. To figure out what God is all about and to create or recreate that hunger to know Him more intimately.

**Disclosure** These books were sent to me free of charge for my honest review from Flyby Promotions.
Format: Audio CD
This review, by Dr. Nicholson, has been provided courtesy of Desert Bible Institute [...]

In my reviews, I generally say very little about the narrators of an audiobook, and I have never started a review by talking about one: Own It by Michael and Hayley DiMarco is an exception to this rule however. I found myself wondering, in the first few chapters, which male reader had such an animated, basso voice and which female narrator has such an energetic while professional tone. I knew right away that I hadn't heard either of them before or it would have stood out in my memory. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was the authors. I occasionally (okay perhaps more than occasionally) complain about how narrators don't get the tone or nuance of the writer correct, but I understand since so many authors have such deplorable speaking voices. I was especially pleased with Hayley since too many female readers take on a sing-song quality that irritates me. I have to admit to a penchant towards avoiding female narrators when at all possible. Both authors did an outstanding job however.

The DeMarcos' book was as refreshing as their reading of it. The format of this book is unlike anything I have come across before. The first half of the book is written in a largely persuasive format. The authors seem to presume resistance from their audience. They regularly acknowledge their audience's logic, trials, and counter-arguments in a way that is both engaging and entertaining. This quality alone makes this a book you would likely want to share with someone who is either considering entering the Christian faith or who is starting to have doubts about their faith. My one fear was that the author would be so excessively compromising and understanding that their book would lack the meat and conviction so many people need to hear. My worries were quickly set aside.

The DeMarcos focus in on their theme of "saving faith verses imitation faith" early on. While they have a patient and respectful tone towards new or non-believers, they still pack their book with rich, valuable information. One of the most striking examples of this is how they seamlessly work scripture into the narrative. I caught myself, more than a few times, saying, "Hey that's a Bible verse!" Rather than bombarding listeners with every proof-text imaginable, they regularly just work the biblical text into what they're saying. They do this so well that I found myself really enjoying this technique, which surprised an old stickler like me.

Towards the middle of the book, the authors accelerate like an Italian sports-car from persuasive writing into informative writing. I didn't even notice the transition until the last third of the book and had to go back and listen for where it changed. The assumption seems to be, if you're still listening to the book after a hundred pages that you either already agree with their position or that you are being persuaded. This was such a refreshing approach, since so many writers are able to only pursue one of these styles of writing. Own It was a revitalizing book that was over too quickly. I look forward to being asked to review another of the DeMarcos books in the future.

Dr. Nicholson reviews academic, Christian living, and fiction books for a variety of publishers in an array of formats. He is never paid for any of his reviews. He writes these strictly as a courtesy to his students at Desert Bible Institute and for any other readers that might find his insights valuable. For more reviews or information, visit Dr. Nicholson's blog at drtnicholson.wordpress.com.

A copy of the book was generously offered to Dr. Nicholson by christianaudio.com in exchange for this unbiased review.
on September 25, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
Own it
By: Michael & Hayley DiMarco

Do we own our own personal faith or are we letting the world direct us? Are we just following the world , parents or friends. This book will help us to know what to do when our faith meets the challenges of everyday life. Looking forward to putting this into practice in my own life.
on January 12, 2014
Format: Audio CD
Own It by Hayley DiMarco and Michael DiMarco is a very good resource on taking your faith seriously and making sure it is your own not faith that is inherited or borrowed. The book opens with various different forms of faith based on the parable in the Bible ranging from using their parent's faith and borrowing faith to fully owning their faith.

It is a very challenging book even for someone like myself who has been a Christian for many years. It asks the tough questions about your faith and makes sure that it is owned not just something for Sundays when everyone is looking.

The narration was quite good as it had the authors reading it and they conveyed the emotion and tone intended. Side note: Hayley sounded very much like Toni Collette's character in the TV series Hostages, which I found quite amusing.

This book is a good book for unbelievers, new Christians or Christians struggling to commit to their faith as it has a strong message behind it that encourages them to completely commit to their faith in Jesus Christ.

This audio book was gifted as a part of the christianaudio Reviewers Program in exchange for my unbiased review of this work. More information can be found about this and other Christian audio books at christianaudio.com.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 8, 2013
Format: Paperback
This was a great book that makes you stand up for the faith that you have and understand why you have it and where it came from. Once you understand this it makes you step forward and do what you need to do to make sure that you really are living the life that you should be living and not just going through the motions. The book allows you to question and understand what motivates you and your faith and helps you to better know how you can be the Christian God wants you to be.

This book truly makes you think deeply about what you are doing or can do to own your faith. It is a powerful book that will grip you and compel you to read even more with each page that turns.

*I received a copy for review - all opinions are my own*
on February 25, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book is awesome!!! It brought me under conviction with tears of brokenness , it brought me to tears of joy and thankfulness to realize that in spite of everything I've ever done my Heavenly Father has forgiven me , forgotten it ALL, and He loves me!!!!!! I loved reading it so much that I went out and bought the last seven books at Lifeway Christian Bookstore and gave them to coworkers and friends. It is a Must read !!!!!
on September 18, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
After seeing preview of the movie; had to purchase the book; awesome book that challenges ones faith...good read for all ages
on April 27, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
If you are a true believer or not, this is a good book for you. It's an overview of how should we OWN our faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. This is a good material for people who are struggling in their Christian life. A powerful gift you can give yourselves or to all people who you really care about.
on January 7, 2014
Format: Audio CD
As I read it, the book grew on me. However, when I first started in, Own It by Michael and Haylay DiMarco failed to grab my interest. It’s hard to put my finger on why this was the case, but I will make an attempt shortly. First though, the overview:

Own It is a challenge to leave behind “our borrowed faith.” It’s a very intriguing idea, and in my work with young people I daily face the challenge of getting them to “own their faith.” The first quarter of the book focuses on what “owning” your faith looks like and why it should be a goal for all believers. The rest of the book is a description of what a Christian life with an “owned” faith looks like. For example, “Owning Your Faith Will Change You,” and “Owning Your Faith Will Complete You” are examples of chapter titles.

Now the bad news:

I think one reason this book disappointed from the start is because the set-up in the first quarter falls flat. It never rises above triteness and cliché. The challenge to not have a generic faith is delivered very, well, generically. Apparently this book is inspired by—or appears in—a recent Christian movie, “Grace Unplugged.” The book itself never references this movie, and I personally haven’t seen the movie (nor do I intend to), but I wonder if the authors are depending on some borrowed emotional impact from the movie to carry the reader through the first chapter?

In any case, the book improves the further you read, and I found the later chapters of the book very helpful and challenging. One thing that doesn’t improve, though, is the sub-par narration by the authors in the audiobook version. Usually, I like to hear authors read their own books, but not in this case. It seems like they are trying to preach their way through the book instead of just reading it. The impact of some very good passages is diminished by the authors stumbling over words and providing awkward inflection.

It may be worth reading for the good stuff in the second half, so I recommend this book with reservation.

Please Note: This audiobook was gifted as a part of the Christianaudio Reviewers Program in exchange for my unbiased review of this work. This has in no way influenced my opinion or review of this work. More information can be found about this and other Christian audiobooks at christianaudio.com.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...