Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on October 28, 2013
I love Anne's cooking, especially the recipes from "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef," but some of the recipes in her cookbook don't make sense. For example, for the "Garlic Chicken and Israeli Couscous" recipe. The photo does not match what the ingredients dictate. Also, the directions make no sense. For the step when you add the thyme bundle and bay leaf, it says to add them and then take them out, without saying how much time to cook them. The recipes do have flavor, but I highly suggest that you compare the recipe with the Food Networks' version and make a hybrid recipe.
22 comments28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2013
I have Anne's First book and have just received this book! OMG! This is the book for the average cook! You will find ingredients and recipes that you can find in your local grocery store. I can't wait to try her Turkey Herby dinner recipes. Plus the sandwiches chapter is AWESOME! Bravo Anne for making a cookbook for the rest of us that don't have specialty stores to get our ingredients!
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2013
clear easy to follow instructions, most ingredients are readily available in local markets and most of all because Chief Anne is an excellent chief, teacher and I always enjoy her shows and make regular use of her books.
on October 16, 2013
Anne's 2nd cookbook and it, again, is the Anne we love and follow. Quirky, entertaining and most importantly instructional and delicious!
on December 12, 2013
The book has a lot of photos, which is wonderful, and for the most part the format and the recipes seem pretty good, there are a lot of helpful hints in the instructions, which are well written and detailed. But... I'll give her the "Inspire" but the book seems a bit soft on the "Empower" claim.

You can tell the book was put out by the Food Network, and they laid it on a bit thick with the "Anne Burrell" schtick. The book could have used a lot more Anne the educator and a lot less Anne the character. The brisket recipe ends with "A tisket a tasket a brisket for my tummy" or some such non-sense, which I suppose is intended to show her having fun in the kitchen with her recipe. The least they could have done was make it rhyme, perhaps "A tasket, a tisket, a really yummy briskett." I blame the editor. a good editor is supposed to help tone down the schmaltz and keep the author on track.

Her Luau Pork recipe left me wondering. "Marinating" a pork roast in a brine with pineapple juice for 24 hours? Won't pineapple juice adversely effect the texture of the meat at that length of time? And her Brined Herby Roast Turkey, this is the first time I've seen carrots and celery in the brine mixture. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it just seems odd. And her Chicken and Israeli Couscous recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of tomato paste. That's like an entire can of tomato paste. At some point, wouldn't it be easier to use tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes?

And the title "Own Your Kitchen" had me really psyched to get the book, but her first cookbook was a lot better in terms of getting comfortable in your kitchen. This just seemed mostly like a collection of recipes with vignettes about how she developed the recipe based on the glamorous adventures she has had traveling the world. I'm a huge fan. I love her show "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" and her first cookbook, "Cook like a Rock Star", but in this one she comes across as vapid.

I gave the book a three star review because I just can't get past the poor editorial point of view; I find it deeply annoying how every recipe has a blurb about how fantastic and glamorous her life is; and how many hang over cures does one person really need? Seriously.

By the way, the book I had from the library was an actual book, not an e-book. I don't know why it put my review under the Kindle edition. I have no idea what the Kindle version is like, nor am I interested in electronic cookbooks.
22 comments21 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2013
I like watching Anne on the Food Net Work and here recipes. Only wish I had ordered the book instead of having it downloaded on my Kindle. So much easier to follow recipes and view them in a book. This sure doesn't reflect against her as a chef thou. She no's how to cook and is fun to watch.
on September 1, 2014
This is a very practical and modern cookbook. I really like the approach to get control of your kitchen. For those of us that never had the great opportunity to go to cooking school, this helps to add to our basic knowledge in a common sense way.
on November 22, 2015
Anne is a fun chef to watch on tv, so I thought this cookbook might be fun as well. Her little stories are very enjoyable and I love her great hints. It might be a good idea, though, for her to mention what might serve as s substitute for an ingredient that may not be readily available at our local small market? And Her asides regarding "this is a 'do ahead' " is extremely helpful!!
Just an idea re: the substitutions :-))
best part for me?? Her salads and appetizers!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2014
Bought it for a gift for my husband. He absolutely love the first book that Anne Burrell wrote. SO I opt'd to by this for Christmas.

There was an Herb Turkey recipe that I did off from this book, and it turned out amazing. Nice and moist, brine for 2-3 days. Good recipes, and love the pictures.

My husband is a culinary instructor, and he prefers cook books with pictures.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2015
Interesting but short on recipes.