Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on June 1, 2008
This is an excellently-presented, very well-written, informative and complete guide to your cat's health concerns. Presenting veterinary medicine in lay language can be difficult, but this book does so, and should be your primary reference guide when Cleo gets droopy.

No one likes to see pictures of sick and injured cats, but the authors, a group of D.V.M.s, don't shy away from illustrating some of the more unpleasant conditions that catflesh is heir to, nor should they. After all, illness and injury plague cats as much as they plague humans, and there's no denying that fact.

My only criticism of this book is that many of the conditions described are encapsulated in overly brief paragraphs. Symptoms are given and linked to all manner of serious and less-serious conditions. There is little differential diagnosis offered between them. Hence, the tenor of the book is rather alarmist at times. The authors' bottom line is usually, "See your Vet," but realistically, not every situation requires a visit to the doctor. Few people can afford to consult a Vet every time a minor issue like a transient case of the sneezies occurs, but home care and treatment is rather slighted in this book. Since the authors are Veterinarians perhaps that's understandable, but describing a swelling as a "possible cyst" without also mentioning that it might just be an aftereffect at an injection site can cause upset, cost a cat owner money for nothing, and cause this book to be less-readily consulted in the future. It happened to me, so I speak from experience.
on May 11, 2010
If you have a cat that you care for, or about, there will be times when you have questions and need clear and factual answers. This is the book you need for fast, clear answers which can save your cat's life.

By the time that you notice that something may be wrong with you cat, they may be in serious trouble. This is a book that tells you what various symptoms may mean and how serious they may be. It gives expert advice on how to care for your healthy cat, how to insure his continued health, and how to care for an injured cat until he can be transported to the vet.

It may tell you more than you really wish to know at times, but you may decide which sections you want to read and how much of them to read. Some of the illustrative photos, though very helpful, can be distressing to see. However, it is better to have more information than you want than less than you need.

No book replaces the need for good veterinarian, regular visits, or a call to see if an emergency visit is advisable, but this book gives excellent adjunct advice and tips to keep your cat healthy and safe.
on February 21, 2014
I got this book when I had 3 elderly cats. They have all passed away now and am using this book for fostering orphan kittens. I can not tell you how much money I have saved in vet bills by consulting this book first. 1 saved trip to the vet will pay for this book. I love that it tells me what can be handled at home and what needs a vet. I have had cats all my life and am still learning about them. This books covers Newborn (hand raising) to Geriatrics (This old cat) and everything in between. The pictures are graphic ( black and white) but this is good because you can see what the condition looks like on a cat. I wish there were full color pictures.The book has 626 pages full of information on cat healthcare. It is a big book and organized by the body part affected. If you are looking for the 1 book on cat health this is it. The language is simple easy to understand. The only thing I wish it had is Symptom charts. For me, until my cats learn to talk, this book will be my guide. My current copy is well used and dog eared. I love this book.
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2010
Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, Fully Revised and Updated is a good basic guide to your cat's health. While it doesn't replace the vet, it can save you a trip for some simple ailments and can let you know when you should get your cat to the vet ASAP.

If you buy the book, in order to get the most out of it, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the contents. There is an index of signs and symptoms on the front cover, a detailed contents, a general index and cross-references. This pre-work, makes it easy to quickly find what you are looking for when you need the book without a lot of fumbling. The content pages are easy to scan and find information by system (urinary, digestive, respiratory etc) or body part (eyes, nose, skin) as well as chapters on diseases, emergencies and more!

If you want a go-to reference book for your cats, this is a really good one!
on May 27, 2009
I bought this book based on the reviews I read here at Amazon. I noticed that some people were displeased as the version they had bought was out of date, make sure you purchase the fully revised 3rd Edition, publication date 2008.

I used this book within weeks of buying it after we thought one of our cats had swallowed a q-tip! It was a great ready resource. The pictures are really clear, instructions easy to understand, and it really does cover virtually anything that may happen to your cat!
It's also full of very useful information regarding sex, age progression, food and behavior. I know a lot more about how to best care for my cats for owning this book.

I would also recommend you consider buying "Cat vs. Cat" by Pam Johnson-Bennett as an excellent companion to this book if you have more than one cat in the house.
on December 11, 2010
I bought this book along with the companion book for dogs. It contains everything you need to know about cat care. From conception to death. It is easy to understand and contains things you can try at home before going to the vet,saving you money. It explains tests and proceedures done by a vet in detail so you can understand it. All in all this is the one book all cat owners must own.
on January 19, 2009
I started using the first edition of this book more than 20 years ago and the new edition is welcome. I am involved in cat rescue and these books have helped me save many animals. Every person that owns a cat should have a copy of this book for immediate reference. I gave one to my each of my daughters.
on October 24, 2009
I have a biomedical background and have some veterinary experience since I wanted to be a veterinarian when I was younger, although I never did become a vet. Many years ago I got the dog owner's version of this handbook and referred to it when my dog got older and became sick. Because of my experience with the dog owner's version, I knew I wanted the cat owner's version.

I found "The Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" to be well written and easy to use. It does not overwhelm the reader with veterinary medical terminology and is easily understood by the average cat owner. It is easy to find information using the "Signs and Symptoms" and "General" indexes. There is more information than you will probably ever want to know or need to know; however, it is all worthwhile having available in the event your cat gets ill.

I am reading and skimming through the handbook. Even if you just keep it on your bookshelf just in case your cat gets sick, "The Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" is a VERY worthwhile purchase.
on September 7, 2008
I'm not a vet, but Cat Owners Veterinary handbook seems to be thorough and rather easy to understand. It offers a great deal of detailed information regarding feline diseases and treatment options. It is a guide I feel comfortable with and will always use to learn about feline health.

Maria B.
on November 6, 2013
I have a BS in biology and biochem and this book explains all I need to know in a way that is understandable to the layman, but not dumbed-down to an idiot's level. Great reference. I know I'll use it for years to come. I can't put it down!