Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 10, 2010
I have both this book and the Word Atlas of Wine (WAW). While both are very detailed, I find myself reading this first because of its more charming, easier-to-read style. After I've got a good understanding on a subject, I'll then mosey on over to the WAW to satisfy my wine nerdiness. I find that these two books compliment each other. For instance, I appreciate the WAW's detailed maps more after I've read the Oxford Companion's written description of a particular terroir. Either book would meet virtually everyone's needs and wants though.
on November 1, 2006
No wine lovers' library is complete without the Oxford Companion to Wine. This is THE reference book for everything wine, quite literally from A to Z. Whether you are a wine novice looking to know more about a particular grape variety or wine region or an expert searching for information on vinification or the history of cork, you will find it -- quickly and easily -- in this book. Given that the book resembles and is organized like an encyclopedia, the annotations for each subject are written in a compelling manner. This is not a coffee table book. This is a book you will use again and again.
on February 17, 2007
The Oxford is basically the bible for wine. Very thorough and a great reference. This is *the* book. Just get it.

One comment about the reviewer who said, "A lot of money for a text book that is not a consumer's guide" - my reply? Duh. Look what you wrote - It's an encyclopedia, not one of the multitudes of consumer guides. Know what you are talking about before writing a review. As far as consumer guides, Oz Clark and Robert Parker both produce consumer/buying guides where you can look specific producers.
on May 18, 2007
It's a great encyclopedia, but here's a couple of suggestions on how to make it even better...

1) Next to each entry, put in phonetics or some sort of pronunciation guide. People would like to sound intelligent when they speak too, not just when they read.

2) Wine Region maps should be colored, not just black & white.

3) Grape varieties should have nice colored pictures next to them.
on October 15, 2013
I was expecting this to be something that I could sit down and just read for pleasure, but it is really structured more like a reference book. Like an encyclopedia. It does have some great information in it, and we have had had fun looking up specific topics that pertain to a wine we are drinking, like the appellation or specific grape varieties. So it's a nice book - just different from what I expected. It makes for a fun coffee table book as well.
Wow! This is an exhaustive examination of all things wine. Simply a beautifully put together book about wine, with an incredible amount of detailed info on all aspects of wine and wine production. Highly recommended!
on April 6, 2007
On another review, I mentioned that you need more than one book if you are serious about wine. But this is the most comprehensive work on wine I've seen, and one of the "must-have" in your collection. If you are interested in the ratings of specific wines or wineries, you need to get other books in addition to this.
on November 3, 2013
i never stop learning more encyclopedic details about grapes, wine production, wine history in this amazingly well written tome. Belongs on the forefront of every wine-lover's book shelf. (Only problem is the heft of the book. Will it be put into a high speed app for electronic retrieval on one's tablet or some such?) Oh, and I wish the indices were more extensive. I have found much more substantive information on a specific item thumbing through more general possible topic areas when the item (in my humble opinion) warranted inclusion by itself in an index.
on August 18, 2014
I like the format-while reading my other books, I can reference this book for more in depth information on anything from a grape I've never heard of, to a specific appellation to a wine law I may not understand.
on September 16, 2006
This tome is simply the best reference for professionals, amateurs and students on the subject of wine. The 3rd edition is updated with additional entries and new statistics, and better maps.